Please help! All vines and no melon!

Bethesda, MD

I have two hills of Charentais melon with three plants each. Both are growing up a trellis. Both get lots of sun, have exactly the same kind of soil, and get the same amount of rain. One hill is producing several little melons, and its vines only go 2/3 the way up the 6-foot trellis. The other goes all the way to the top of the trellis, has had a good number of little yellow flowers on it for weeks, but no melons at all. The only thing I can think of that could make the difference is that the viney fruitless plants were transplanted when they were just seedlings - but their vines are much longer longer than those on the other hill, so it doesn't seem like they suffered any traumatic shock. Any ideas?

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Feritilization can cause that. One can have more nitrogen and that promotes vine growth. The one fruiting may have higher quantities of Phosphorus which stimulates flowering and fruit production. Trying to get that perfect ratio is the trick.

Greensburg, PA

I also have to ask if you are using any insecticides? Something that kills the pollinators, could prevent fruit production. Perhaps an uneven application between the hills? Do you see bees/insects actively pollinating?

Second possibility is that you have male plants in the second hill. You could examine the flowers to determine gender. Make sure your vines are producing female flowers.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.