Coltsfoot

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Just back from camping up at Klipchuck (east side of North Cascades) where there were lovely stands of what I believe to be coltsfoot (Petasites palmatus or perhaps frigidus). The seed heads were about ripe and I've borrowed a couple stalks, hoping to germinate them next spring. Has anyone had any experience with this plant? Per my research, it appears to be originally introduced from Japan but is now considered a PNW native. I'm hoping to plant it out in a damp spot in my wild zone and let it have its way. Thanks for any info.

Thumbnail by bonehead
Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

I have a stand in my yard that's about 3 years old now. It's very happy in shade and clay and appears to be spreading nicely. I don't water in summer. In a damper spot, I think it would get pretty big. The dryness in summer keeps it in check a bit.

Tacoma, WA

I have some also I've had for a few years. It does spread, but like katie, I don't water it much. I see it on moist slopes on many roads.

It is a PNW native. There is a Japanese coltsfoot, which really spreads. I like the PNW one much better.

Info from 'Native plants in a coastal garden' - "Tall for a ground cover (4 to 20") but an excellent solution for a seasonally damp spot in full sun to partial shade. ...Very attractive to goldfinch and a beautiful sight in the spring garden when the yellow birds light on the pale pink flower heads. Grows from rapidly spreading rhizomes, dies back over winter."

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Well, I gathered the seed from a rather obscure camp site, so I will assume this is our native. I'm hoping the seed will germinate and give me a bunch to work with, although I'm pretty iffy at starting anything from seed. I certainly do have plenty of seasonally damp spots...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.