Moving Oriental Poppies

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Birder and Oberon........check with me in the spring, I have some David to move from my daughter's garden. They are regrowth from the roots, I moved the mother plants a couple of months ago. So I will have small babies to share. Contact me in April or May to remind me so I don't give them elsewhere.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Thanks. Thatould begreat. I had a bunch of growth with some pink ones and assumed it was from seeds. Bunches of little plants, an infestation almost

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks Warrior! I will get back with you in the spring.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Update on the Oriental Poppies that got scattered by the plumber putting in a hydrant:

I Did get some Oriental Poppies. They were short: about 15 inches and orange. I don't remember planting orange poppies in that garden area. I do remember planting Papaver orentalis 'Victoria Louise' but I don't think that was what I ended up with. The V. L. was a plant I purchased in a pot and may have been mislabeled.

I had/have no Iceland Poppies. :( They were so pretty and early bloomers.

Several of the plants I thought were O. P. turned out to be thistles!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Birder are those short ones the California poppies?

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I really don't know what they were. That is the garden that was destroyed by the plumber. I left the entire garden alone to see what would come back. I had Russian Sage, Lychinis, Larkspur, Annual Poppies, a few Daylilies, some Dutch Iris, and a couple of orange poppies return. The poppies were short: about 15 inches, so, maybe they were Iceland Poppies. They bloomed After my annual poppies, so I figured they were Orientals. They did end up in a lot of shade under my Crepe Myrtle. I don't have any Ca. Poppies.

I will take a picture this year and see if anyone can tell me what I have. DG is so good at that.

I plan on re-designing the entire garden since everything got mixed up. We did take the opportunity to add some Peat Moss to this bed.

I have three large plants in this bed: Russian Sage (really like), White Crepe Myrtle-15', and Hydrangea 'Limelight'. I am "thinking' about Corals and Blues melding into whites, soft yellows and Blues later in the season.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Pic of Cali poppy.

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.