Bleeding Heart can it grow outside in Ocala FL

Marco Island, FL(Zone 10b)

I live in Marco Island and have no trouble growing these outside-- but have a friend just get one in Ocala. Any experience with growing these that far north?

Shawnee Mission, KS(Zone 6a)

Here is what the Daves has on it. See the comment to see if anyone has grown it in the area that you are asking about. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/506/

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Debi,
I'm in North Deland...really Deleon Springs. I'm not far from Ocala at all, and we get just about as cold here for as long.
I grow the Delectum outside, but overwintered the Red/white one in a pot inside, but I may root some to try overwinter here.
Delectum starts sprouting back up around the end of April/first of May...it's up over the fence now and has been blooming for a month or so...even without the rain and this heat, and I really don't water it all that often. ( although I would water an unestablished plant more than I do this one.)

Marco Island, FL(Zone 10b)

Thanks-- I'll pass it on. Ponies--do I know you from the horse business in FL?

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Maybe- I've shown alot in both H/J and Dressage, taught/trained, and sold alot. Mostly just teaching now, some clinics and a little bit of judging. You meet so many people over the years !! I run into students who are all grown up and have kids of their own now..and some bring their kids to me to teach.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.