Coleus in July, 2011 - Show us yours please.

Mount Laurel, NJ

Clan, I think your coleus is 'city lights'. So many are similar though, so it's hard to tell.
Here's my 'city lights'. Hmmm. On second look, your's does look different, so mybe the one who said 'stormy weather' is right.

This message was edited Jul 24, 2011 9:41 AM

This message was edited Jul 24, 2011 9:42 AM

Thumbnail by coleuslover123
(Chris) Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Thanks :) I went to the PlantFiles and looked at Stormy Weather and I think that's what it is too.. Your "city lights" seems to have more red to it than mine does. What's funny is that the tag that came with this coleus has a picture that looks just like the plant and does say "stained glassworks eruption". Sometimes I wonder if names change depending on the grower, supplier, even the region they come from.

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Would love to trade cuttings with either of you :)

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

I have enjoyed viewing all of the Coleus here and love the choice of plants. I have very little working experience with Coleus so it is nice to see how well they can be displayed in arrangements.

A small grouping in my garden.

Tussee

Thumbnail by tusseemussee
Mount Laurel, NJ

That's beautiful Tussee. Very nice combinations! Do you know the names of the ones in your picture?

Lake Stevens, WA

Yes just fantastic!! Love the colors!!! Foliage is better than blossoms hands down!!
It has been so cold this summer that I hate to show some of mine.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

ClanCambell,

Your tagged "Stained Glass works 'eruption'" is a variety hybridized and grown by StainedGlass Works a coleus grower. It must be a new introduction as I do not see a discription of it in their on-line mail order catalogue.

Stainedglass works grows named variety coleus and does stained glass and other garden art. I'd link to their site but my computer is acting up right now. I think on Coleus finder they are listed as suppliers as Glass house. Yep, here's the link note that they have 2 pages of coleus hybrids!!

http://www.glasshouseworks.com/onlinecatalog.html

I did not save the name tags on this group of Coleus. I bought all of my plants, save one (lg. background deep pink) from Rosy Dawn and thought I could use my order list to conjure up a name if needed. I did keep a tag for one Coleus placed in a old chimney flue setup for a single plant. Since its arrival, it has been a favorite and I will attempt to take cuttings for next year. That thought may change when the time comes to do so as I have so many plants that must come inside for the winter. Sometimes its a matter of being practical when I weigh the time spent with cuttings and the money spent for a new plant.

Tussee

Florida Sun Rose

Thumbnail by tusseemussee
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Tussee, do you save your cuttings in water or in flowerpots and dirt. I have some nice coleus this year and would like to take cutings and save them for next year. They are mostly sun coleus and are very tall. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta

kiseta, I start all of my cuttings in pro-mix that has been sterilized in a oven for 30 minutes to kill gnat eggs. They come with the peat moss. I place these cuttings on a heat pad, and for good light put them in my greenhouse. If I see wilting after the first 3 or 4 days, they go in a clear plastic bag for humidity. I've read there are some varieties of coleus that are very hard to root, so keep that possibility in mind and do not beat yourself up should some fail.

Tussee

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Thank you. I have rooted some in plain water, they are already planted in dirt in flower pots. This is the time when coleus is starting to bloom , so I have been pinching a lot. We have a long Summer, plus the first frost don't come till mid November, so I have enough time to start colecting cuttings to Winter over. I don't have a greenhouse, but have some windows I can use, and some fl. lights I use to grow my seeds. Thanks again. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Just remember water roots are different than soil roots.
I will be doing my dangdest to overwinter as many as I can down here in zone 10 this winter.
Please keep me in mind for cuttings before y'all have cold snaps in Sept.
I will pay postage and offer first pick to donors.
Sidney

Lake Stevens, WA

Hi all I have been drooling over your pictures of sometime. Finally took some pictures of mine to share. Sorry the sun was out today. Not a big name person - May or may not have the names on these guys

Thumbnail by springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

Thumbnail by springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

Thumbnail by springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

Thumbnail by springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

Thumbnail by springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

A few of these are not doing very well. Not sure what the problem is.

Thumbnail by springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

Same here. One is 'Kiwi Fern' It looks bad. I saved it from last year and has been going down hill since it has been outside. Our night temps. have been cool this year. The coleus are half the size they shoud be. A friend of mine bought coleus from Rosy Dawn then took cuttings from each others plants. I gave her a cutting of my 'Kiwi Fern' and it is huge.

Thumbnail by springcolor

Lovely pictures, Springcolor...my favorite is #4. Just a wonderful combination of colors and size. Your planting baskets of wire are very interesting ...did you make them? Thank you for posting.

Tussee

Lake Stevens, WA

Yes, I put the moss in. They were given to me by a fellow DG person on the PNW forum at a round up last year. Really like them. The one coleus on the left in #4 is Sedona That is my fav!

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Love this one. Don't know the name as it had a generic name on the tag.

Thumbnail by MechelleT
Lake Stevens, WA

That is a nice one! You coud pull many colors from that one.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Quote from sugarweed :
Just remember water roots are different than soil roots.
I will be doing my dangdest to overwinter as many as I can down here in zone 10 this winter.
Please keep me in mind for cuttings before y'all have cold snaps in Sept.
I will pay postage and offer first pick to donors.
Sidney

I need to cut back mine soon. How soon will you be accepting "boarders"? Any ones you are looking for in particular? Do you prefer rooted or unrooted? What length cutting do you prefer? I have Fla Sun Rose, Henna, Red Coat, Royal Glissade, Peter Wonder, Magilla Perilla, Stormy Weather, Dark Star, Solar Sun Flash, Solar sunrise, Freckles, Sedona, Pineapple, and atrailer dubbed Wedding Veil and a few I probably have forgotten..

.Let us know when arrivals would be welcome...Perhaps a bit too hot to ship well...

Judy

Lake Stevens, WA

Sugarweed,
If you see any of mine you want I will send.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Well it will be September 1st before I return here to start my overwinter project. I will take what ever ones you would like to see back in the spring.
I suggest when Sept. comes take long cuttings and put them in a ziplock and in a priority mailbox. No wet towels or anything.
I will d-mail any of you my S. Fl. address at that time.
Sidney

Mount Laurel, NJ

Wow, springcolor, your 'sedona' is beautiful. I think it's my favorite too. Mine has developed a lot of yellow in it lately. It's pretty, but I like the rust/violet tones in it better.

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

I would also be happy to overwinter. I have a 30 x 90 greenhouse and plenty of heated room for those 50 and below temps. Would also like to trade with anyone interested in Coleus I have. Just dmail me :-)

Thumbnail by MechelleT
Lake Stevens, WA

MechelleT
Oh wow lucky you a 30x90 greenhouse. Mine is 8x10 way to small but so happy to have one. you must grow a ton of stuff in there. How fun!

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Well this is the same coleus as the first post. They have grown a little.

I had a beautiful group in the back landscape and got close to weed something near one and they were being annihilated by something. Found one worm on 8 coleus. I sprayed with insect killer. That is how mad I was.

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I don't find the worms, just the parts missing where they've eaten. Now that I moved them, they're doing much better. Even the sweet potato vines were worm dinner.

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Some of my babies. Have to say that Watermelon is still my favorite.

Thumbnail by MechelleT
Mount Laurel, NJ

Here's my 'sedona' that has developed a lot of yellow in it. The one beside it is 'redhead'.

Mount Laurel, NJ

The ones out by my front tree are getting bigger! This 'sedona' does not have as much yellow. I like it better.

Mount Laurel, NJ

This one (on the left) came without a named label. Does anyone know what it is? The yellow and green one is a sport off 'twist n twirl'.

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

"Grape Expectations" http://www.rosydawngardens.com/detail.aspx?ID=370

Mount Laurel, NJ

Oh thanks Mechlle, and that's a better picture than mine! I need a new camera, it doesn't do justice to the coleus! ha ha. I'm glad to know what it is, and to see that it's sun tolerant. I was wondering about that. Here's a similar one, but this one came with a label that said 'kingswood torch'.

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

I like both of those. Would love to trade cuttings :0 hint hint ! lol

I had originally thought it was Flamingo but Flamingo has deep scalloped edges on the leaves but the color pattern is exactly the same. Cool! I have a few that I need to ID too.

Mount Laurel, NJ

I'm waiting for them to get big enough to take cuttings Mechelle. I think it might be next spring before I have any!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.