Coleus in July, 2011 - Show us yours please.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

This a group I planted in the large bed in the front landscape. They are semi protected from the sun from streetscape trees. This is the bed I have fallen in three times. I now use an old vacuum cleaner metal extension as a cane and it works like a charm. It is wider and heaver. I need to find a cane built just like it.

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Different angle, same bed.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Lovely, Sharon. I enjoy how coleus "play nice together".

I'm impatiently waiting for the callies to spread in both attached brick planters in the courtyard.

Maybe you could get a custom made cane?

Thumbnail by pirl
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Beautiful. Love the drift wood. Did any of the two plants I sent you live. Your little invasive buddy you sent, with warning, is starting to grow and has darling little white flowers.

OK, wisdom of Pirl.....Where would you get a custom cane made. I will try Goggling custom made canes.

This canna is all by itself with yellow purslane.

Custom made canes - a whole page of them!
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=1&oq=custom+made+canes&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GZAZ_enUS418US418&q=custom+made+walking+canes

The wire vine is trying to live but misses you!

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Probably misses the dry heat. I will check the site. Thanks so much.

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

Some of my babies .

Thumbnail by georgiagarden3
Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

and..

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

oh and this one

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

and

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

i found these at Lowe's at $3.99 for a quart size. I needed instant garden because of African Sumac root problems. Not a great photo but you can see the coleus. No names but I like the pink.

Love the coleus sales now!

Thumbnail by pirl
Mount Laurel, NJ

The ground hog has eaten all my coleus in the back and is now starting on the east side. I still have some in front so I'd better take some pictures. This is 'lime frills' in the center with 'kona red' on the sides.

Thumbnail by coleuslover123

Gorgeous coleus, great color echoes and a wonderful photo!

Lake Stevens, WA

Just love all you coleus. Have any of you heard of the new seascape coleus coming out next year?

I haven't. Please tell us whatever you know about them. Thanks.

Lake Stevens, WA

I will find the web site again tonight. Like 8 in the series. Coming spring 2012. I gogled new coleus 2012. I will look.

Thanks.

Lake Stevens, WA

http://www.greenhousegrower.com/ggtv/?vid=474 Hope this works.
Creator is Jim Monroe of Hort couture's 'under the sea' coleus

Thanks for the link. The voice on the video was hard to understand so I listened twice and from what I could gather it's a coleus with a "sub leaf". Individual photos would be great and I'm sure they'll be online before we know it.

Thanks again.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Just wondering how much they will cost.
They look very interesting.
Sidney

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Pirl, you are always bursting my balloon. Here I thought my $4 coleus were a bargain, down from $6.

I was up early to take step-son to airport. Well getting boarding pass for him I discovered it is next week so I am heading back to bed for another hour.

Sorry! I never saw such great plants at such terrific prices.

Sharon,
Pirl has a much shorter growing season than you do, I think.
That's what makes hers less expensive.
The picture shows many India Frills behind that sign.
This year I am spending until next April in mid-southern Florida so I hope to have many next spring for my coleus friends.
Sidney

New Hyde Park, NY

I love seeing all of the pictures of the beautiful Coleus! Here are some of mine :)

Thumbnail by daisy_lee
Longboat Key, FL(Zone 9b)

daisy-lee Pls/
what is the name of the very dark with pink on the lower row very right.?
I'd love a cutting? Pay for postage helene
used to live in Brewster NY and had many there. Here in FL by the beach they are harder to grow so haven't had any in 2 years but wanting to get back into it as now I have some shade.....

Helen,
Yes, tis a tad harder to keep them going in the summer down here.
I have a very shaded deck where I keep mine shaded and hand watered.
We can beg cuttings in late August into Sept. from all our northern friends. Then they flourish down here.
I believe that coleus is Tabasco, but I am often wrong.
Sidney

Longboat Key, FL(Zone 9b)

Oh thanks, i know I have this tree and under there I was able to grow those chartreuse colored ones. I planted and DH took care of watering , pinching etc. He passed in Jan. so now I am in a quandery how much to do outside. Again a few Cols would be nice as I love them. My very Fav is " betelgeuse" had it for years and then history. So admire all of yours

Mount Laurel, NJ

Wow, you have some really pretty ones daisy. It's interesting how you grow them in pots instead of putting them in the ground. Maybe I should start doing that since I've had such a problem with the animals eating them. Here's a few pics of the ones around my tree.
The red one is 'red head', the green in back is 'dappled apple' and yellow front one is 'freckles'. 'red head' seems to be a good performer.

Thumbnail by coleuslover123

They are very pretty. You might keep more in pots with the critters you have.
Sidney

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Red head is beautiful.

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Hi There,

I have an addiction to Coleus! But I guess most of us here do and I was wondering if anyone would like to trade rooted cuttings of named Coleus with me. Here is what I have:

Watermelon
Henna
Pat Martin
Alabama Sunset
Sunset
Wizard Mosaic
Wizard Red Roof
Wizard Scarlet
Electric Lime
Indian Summer
Black Dragon
Saturn (none avail)
Kong Mosaic (none avail)

I had posted over on the plant trading forum with not much luck. Just trying to swap for a few that I don't have. I have plenty of nice rooted cuttings on all of these. I have a few more which I haven't ID'd yet. The pic below is one I haven't ID'd yet. Thanks!
Mechelle

Thumbnail by MechelleT
Stockholm, Sweden

mechelle,
They are so pretty!!! I have more or less the same coleus as you have, so I can't swop :))

Hope you're lucky and find a nice person to swop with
:) Alice

Coon Rapids, MN

I'm a newbie - both to the list and as a person with CCD - compulsive coleus disorder. I have enjoyed going back to see photos of your lovely gardens.
Here's one I took on the morning after an all-night downpour. It was too wet to play in the mud, so I just took photos.

Thumbnail by shadylady7

Welcome to Dave's Garden and to the Coleus Forum, shadylady.

That's a lovely combination!

Coon Rapids, MN

Thanks. The photo above actually has only one coleus plant in it. I think it's Tilt-a-Whirl. It also has stonecrop sedum, a peachy/orange callibrachoa (million bells) and violet verbena. My space is only 20x20 feet, much of that grass, so I have to use containers for everything. Here's another photo...

Thumbnail by shadylady7

Wonderful. What's the coleus nearest the bottom of the photo. It's gorgeous.

Coon Rapids, MN

Hi Pirl. I think its one of the King Kong varieties. The leaves are enormous. The coleus at the top is also a King Kong, but with the colors reversed. I have never grown any like this before, so I'm anxious so see if they survive the rest of our hot summer. Here's one more photo, of the longer side of my tiny space... The weathered old wheel barrow is filled with herbs and my poor hydrangea at the end is trying to recover from a long rainy night.

Thumbnail by shadylady7
(Chris) Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Good evening.. I only have one coleus which is a houseplant (I live in an apartment on the 3rd floor..hard to have a garden lol). Anyway, I've looked in the Plantfiles for this one and don't find it.
I bought it at Lowe's and the tag says "Stained Glassworks Eruption". As you can see, it definitely isn't Stained Glass :) It does say that it's a Coleus Hybrid- I even looked on the website ColeusFinder and didn't find it.

I'm not familiar with Coleus as some of you are - is this a plant that should be added to the Plantfiles? I don't have the Latin names for it.

Thumbnail by ClanCampbell
Stockholm, Sweden

It looks like the coleus "Stormy Weather", it's a really nice one.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.