Crinums in Georgia

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I think I'm needing some Crinum advice from the expert guy who knows his Crinums as well. I thought I killed the big one, Randy, but there are all kinds of shoots coming up around it. The two babies are fine.

Brenda, I need advice on the Brugs. They spent the winter indoors in the south facing window at Maypop with the heat on freeze protect. They have their leaves and look great but I'd like to encourage branching. One of the two is especially needing help as it's a long skinny base, around five feet tall, and with only one lopsided branch. Hmm, maybe a dinner and early tomato seedling exchange is in order?

Lula, GA

Laurel................what you can do is air layer.
Score the main trunk, then tape plastic wrap around the trunk below the scoring, add some damp moss or dampened peat, and seal plastic around the trunk above the scoring.
Seal the rest of the plastic tight to keep in the moisture.
This is a solution the bring the upper branches near the top of the main trunk down to a lower level, so the blossoms are not way up in the sky.
Trimming the end of branches will result in less blossoms or a longer wait period for blossoms, as the blossom-producing branches are regrown.

I made the mistake of going to the Plants Delights collection of hundreds of crinum photos....................hmmmm.......tempting! I probably like the ones most difficult to find on the market!

~Brenda

Thanks Brenda. I know how to air layer. What I was wondering was if it's possible to propagate brugs anywhere along the stem because online info says "take 6"-8" cuttings" and some plants won't root or air layer on older stem wood. So you are saying I can pick any point I think will make a good growth point and go to town?

Randy, I have to apologize for hijacking you crinum thread but I've got crinums that I'll need your advice on and those dang brugs. What's with the crinum babies appearing around my big crinum you gave me? Do the mother plants die at year's end? I now have four or five crinums where the one big one you gave me was growing.

Brenda, I need to download photos but came up to Maypop and one of your brugs blooming like crazy in the dining room. You didn't say it was an indoor plant. lol

This sat inside all winter and got watered once every month or two when we came up. The heat was on freeze protect which means it went down to the low forties. Guess it's time to take it outside.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
Lula, GA

Laurel..............did you just take this photo? If so, it is doing fabulous!! Gradually move into full sun, it should just keep blooming for you.

Brenda

I took it yesterday afternoon. Isn't this something? It's First Belle. I'm going to move it to the filtered shade of the deck. The other one needs some work on its form. It's one seven foot stick with a top knot. Oh and my epimediums are all blooming and looking beautiful We should start a spring thread and get out of Randy's hair. lol

Dahlonega, GA(Zone 7b)

Hybrid crinum propagate via offset bulbs. The large bulb shouldn't die back, they live a long time. If the clump of mother bulb and offsets gets too large then trench around the mother bulb and pull off the offsets from the side, trying to minimize disturbance to the big bulb's roots.

If you want to share the plant, then pull off the offset bulbs and pot or plant them. expect 3 years from offset until flowering.

Randy, thanks for the crinum information. I was unfamiliar with the plants until your gift. But one more question...can they be maintained and bloomed in large pots? Mine are still not in the ground. I think they'd be safer pot grown. We have fierce voles and moles. They put an end to my Asiatic lily collecting.

Savannah, GA

Hey, folks.

I'm still a newbie struggling gardener. My confederate rose (see picture) has some dusty white spots (bugs?) underneath the upper leaves. Any ideas on what this is and how or if to treat it?

Thanks.

This message was edited May 8, 2013 9:11 AM

My apologies. I just realized I posted this in the wrong thread.

This message was edited May 8, 2013 9:13 AM

Thumbnail by dedukes

Did you? From the photo it looks like it is cotton cushion scale or aphids. I'd need a bigger pic to tell but I'm thinking its scale. Try Neem oil spray. Lady bugs lay there eggs on them and also eat them.

Lula, GA

Mr. RandyRick...........

My pure white blossomed bulbispermum is sending up it's 4th scape of the season. Last summer my son Tobias dug up what we thought was a bulb off this plant with the white blossoms.
Well their transplanted offshoot is blooming and the blossoms look like this. There is also another photo of the plant. Is this normal or what is going on?
Sandy told me this morning that the pink stripe on the backs of the blossoms have almost disappeared and that the blossoms are pinker.

Thanks!

Brenda

Thumbnail by wholyhosta Thumbnail by wholyhosta Thumbnail by wholyhosta
Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Hello all,
One of my older neighbors gave me a Crinium bulb few years ago as a "Thank you". It hadn't done a thing except grow leaves and an extra shoot. So decided to give it one more year and look...!
I'd like to know which kind it is. The neighbor told me he dug this up at an old (150 years) abandoned farm in GA. Neighbor has since moved so cannot check with him.
Any ideas? And what do I do with the tall TALL leaves after bloom?
Thank you for advice, Coby

Thumbnail by TulipLady Thumbnail by TulipLady

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.