Opuntia Engelmanii Linguiformis-(Spineless) Cow's Tongue?

San Antonio, TX

I was determined to get a wild Cow's Tongue Prickly Pear growing in my yard and grabbed a cutting every chance I got. I found this particular one growing in a partially developed area, so I am not too sure if it was a natural spinless or man made hybrid. It withstood the hard freeze we had here in San Antonio last winter along with the wild variation. I tried getting more info on this species of opuntia but could not find any. I am sure it is more common in some areas that I do not know about. It still has tiny much smaller spines at the base.

Thumbnail by mbgt127
Redwood City, CA

OMG that is soooo coool!! Please D-mail me if you have any interest in selling a pad or two. I would love to buy some from you. I've never seen them so long, undulating and almost spineless.

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

Wow the crazy shapes and near lack of spines are pretty great on that plant.

Speaking of slightly unusual prickly pears, I'm interested in the prickly pear which turn into almost perfect poles (totem pole opuntia). I think it's just a form of ficus-indica, but it's sorta hard to find that form. I saw it everywhere in Costa Rica. Here around L.A., I have seen it, but not very often.

This message was edited Jul 3, 2011 10:57 PM

Arlington, TX

mb,
I have never seen that variety without spines. People grow it around here also but I don't have any myself. It gets huge. I can't find any sites dealing with a spineless form either. I also want on the buying list of a pad!
C

Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

I have a spineless Opuntia, too. You can't do this to many of them.

Thumbnail by smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

Here's the whole plant. It was labeled Road Kill cactus.

Arlington, TX

The O with rounded pads that is spineless is that way in nature, I don't think the cow's tongue is.
C

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Smashedcactus, your spineless Opuntia is Consolea rubescens
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/70725/

Here's a link for O. engellmannii var. linguiformis for sale
Don't know if this one is spineless or not though.
http://wufstuff.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=88&osCsid=f15c5fc2f6a7fa579553290a9f7806a6

Here's the Spineless Cow's Tongue on Craigslist
http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/grd/2424059306.html

Xeno.

Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Xeno, I just re potted it and found the tag. You're right on. I had some pads that were knocked off during a wind storm a few weeks ago. I laid them in the pot and they already have roots over an inch long. WOW!!

San Antonio, TX

Hey you guys, that is my craigslist ad. Although I considered this Cow's Tongue to be somewhat out of the ordinary, I did not get much response here locally. People are just not that interested in prickly pear, especially the different variations out there. I am glad you all are.
As far as narrowing the type of cactus this is, I can tell you it is cold hardy. Now, it can survive the one to three day cold snap. If there was any damage to it it was on the very tips. So I can consider it to be adapted to South Texas climate. More than likely Cow's tongue variation. I have one growing in north facing area that takes the full grunt of a cold northern and it did just as good as the little more protected plant, in the photo, on my south facing side of my house(front yard).
I had acquired a road kill saguaro pad once from some who kept his mature plant in very protected area, in his yard, here in San Antonio. The last hard freeze we had killed mine and theirs. The last hard freeze killed about 90% of my ficus indica. Spined and spineless. Almost all of my mature cochenillifera type. Everything turned to mush. Thats just in one to two days of hard freezing weather. As for those, who would like a cutting i will contact you as soon as I can. I have just been pretty busy. Thanks

Thumbnail by mbgt127
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

mbgt127- put me down for a cutting or 2. Dmail me price and paypal info
THX
I have a road kill also and keep it near the house, I cover it on frosty nights and put a 150 watt bulb with it as they are pretty frost sensitive.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9a)

mbgt127...............If and only if you have enough I would love a cutting as well. Just let me know how much moola ya need and postage. Should I d mail you?

Thanks~~ :)))

Arlington, TX

Put me on the list too.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Quote from smashedcactus :
Here's the whole plant. It was labeled Road Kill cactus.

'Road Kill Cactus' is actually *Consolea Rubescens*, rather than in the Opuntia genus.
https://succulentalley.com/opuntia-rubescens/

This message was edited Nov 28, 2023 2:26 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.