Seeds worth starting in late June?

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm looking for advice... I have a lot of holes to fill in my flower beds for reasons various and sundry. I'm on a budget at this point of the year and so aside from scanning the cheap TLC plants at the local nurseries I am looking at the many seeds I never got around to sowing and wondering if it is too late to give some a try. I know I have nasturtium seeds, morning glory seeds, purple hyacinth vine seeds, zinnia seeds, four o'clocks, baby's breath. The list could go on. I also have lots of veggie seeds. Anyone ever start this late and actually have something to show for it?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I know zinnias and nasturtium can bloom later, May not be full grown till end of July though, depends on what kind of veggies

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Sorry I am not specifically familiar with those flowers- it depends on the days to bloom which I don't know if flower seeds usually even tell you that! Then again, our frost holds off till late October so there's almost four months to use.
morning glories (wild) are still sprouting here lately.
Green beans bush type, summer squash, chard all I would feel are fine to start now. Again days to maturity.
Other thing is just making sure they stay moist to sprout. I'd shade them some.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Good advice Sally.

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

I have a volunteer Morning Glory (looks like Grandpa Ott's) that I fight with every year. It's seeds are starting to sprout once again and rather than fight it I am attempting to transplant the seedlings to areas where I need to fill some holes and can do so vertically. If you can't beat 'em, spread the problem!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

ladyschweig- I think I have the same morning glory. They are pretty, and they will come back faithfully as you know! I've been pullng them out of my blueberries and tossing the vines in the back corner where I hope to enjoy *a few* of them.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I recently started a Picotee MG from seed.
Had it between wet paper towels in a baggie for about 3 days.
Opened it--and all the seeds already had the first, long, white root.
Put them in a cell-pack--and they were up and growing in about10 days.

4 O'Clocks may be a possibility--but I think they need striation....
I had many come up from seeds dripped last Summer...
They grow fast!

Hyacinth bean? NOPE! Takes too long....

See if you can "nip" a cutting off of some plants here and there....
A Tomato sucker will root and grow rather fast.....That little shoot that comes up
in the axis of the stem and the branch. If they are 4''-6" tall--go for it!

Nothing else comes to mind at this time.....Sorry!

Gita

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.