Florida Gardening Pictures of the Day - 28

Allthingsplants, FL(Zone 8b)

Welcome!
Please come join us & post your photos here!

We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1170231/#new

This message was edited Jun 17, 2011 4:11 PM

Thumbnail by flaflwrgrl
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

memory isn't what it use to be as I can't remember the name of the plant nor can I think of the name of the place I got it..... the place is in northern OHIO.... if anyone can remember the place please post, then go there to find it.....

Jan

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Was it Baker's Acre's in Alexandria, Ohio? I have traveled there twice to purchase coleus plants. Chris Baker has a most awesome nursery there.
Sidney

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Did someone say photos....

of Spring>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener

Okay Dale what's the blue plant and how long does it bloom?
Sidney

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Lobelia. Here in Tampa from early Nov to March. Will not take heavy frost.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener

Very pretty Dale. Love the combination.

Ann

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Lobelia techo heat comes in dark blue, violet and a light blue. You start seeing in early spring in the nurseries and it blooms here until the mid summer. I still have a planter with light blue, and a hanging pot and planter, of dark blue. My violets are just now dying back. I haven't had luck with them coming back after cutting them back. They are a great filler for container gardens. Do very well in the full sun.
The photo is a mix of dark blue with the violet Lobelia

Thumbnail by sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Here is the light blue

Thumbnail by sunkissed
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Sidney,

thanks you saved me... can't believe I couldn't remember the name. I went there all the time and 70 percent of my garden was made up from plants at their year sale.... I love that place.

That plant is a most certain full sun. if you plant it less than full sun you will not get blooms like that. I got the 3 pack gave one to a neighbor and she has mostly shade and her's wasn't even half of what my two were....

Jan

Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

Oak Leaf Hydrangia

Thumbnail by FLStu
Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

Veronica spicata 'Sunny Border Blue'

Thumbnail by FLStu
Deltona, FL(Zone 9b)

The biggest Staghorn Fern I have ever seen in person! Central Florida zoo

Thumbnail by PurePlants
Deltona, FL(Zone 9b)

One in a tree...

Thumbnail by PurePlants
Deltona, FL(Zone 9b)

And another hanging, so huge!

Thumbnail by PurePlants
Deltona, FL(Zone 9b)

Texas Red Star Hibiscus

Thumbnail by PurePlants
Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

Bat-faced Cupea 'Cuphea llavea'

Thumbnail by FLStu
Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

Stokes Aster

Thumbnail by FLStu
Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

Stokes aster 'Purple Parasol'

Thumbnail by FLStu
Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

Wisteria on the front fence this spring

Thumbnail by FLStu
Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

Pot of terrestrial orchids

Thumbnail by FLStu
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Hi, FlStu! Good to see you post. I still have whiter-flowering wisteria for you, if we ever happen to be in the same place at the same time, or if you ever head this way.

In regard to the discussion of the local garden clubs above, several years ago I determined that I truly was a garden snob and I could ascertain within about 5 minutes or less if a person I was speaking with really knew anything about gardening or had done much of it. So, I can empathize with not wanting to attend garden clubs where there is not full-time discussion of plants and the discussion is mostly gossip circles. Several years ago, when I was going through the Master Gardener training, a lady sitting next to me was doing embroidery of flowers and volunteered the info that it was as close to gardening as she would ever get because she didn't like to get her hands dirty. I was aghast! Especially since there are only a very limited number of slots available in Duval County for the Master Gardener training. Perhaps she made a huge donation to the Extension Office??!

Photo: A mini-Phalaenopsis orchid I found in spike a few days ago in my back patio.

Thumbnail by JaxFlaGardener

Daylily 'Big Snow' - about as white as a daylily can be.

Jeremy

A good old standby - Plumbago. I also have the white-flowering variety. Has anyone else noticed that the blue shades of Plumbago tend to be different hues of blue -- maybe depending on soil pH or other factors? I have shades of blue in Plumbago flowers in different locations in my garden, ranging from a deep caerulean sky blue to nearly white, and I'm sure the different hues are not due to being from different cultivars.

Jeremy

Passiflora 'Incense' - the most invasive plant I've ever put into the ground, but soon, perhaps to be the basis for my new venture in butterfly farming for profit!
(Butterflies sell for about $5 each for release at weddings and other events and the Gulf Frittilary and Zebra Longwing butterflies both use the P. 'Incense' as a host food.) My Zebra Longwing population, though, died out in the freeze with sustained 20s F temperatures of 2009 and never returned throughout 2010. Send some my way!

Jeremy

Zinnia 'White Profusion' - a favorite summer annual groundcover for me. They are low-growing and spread across the soil surface, blooming constantly until the first freeze.

The 'Profusion' series comes in several colors: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=zinnia&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=profusion&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&searcher%5Bgrex%5D=&search_prefs%5Bblank_cultivar%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search

Jeremy

This message was edited Jun 20, 2011 5:24 PM

Red-flowered and white-flowered Dwarf Turk's Cap (Malvaviscus drummondii). I think these came to my by way of Molly? Sandy, now that they are flowering, we can try again to propagate both colors for you.

Jeremy

The odd, straight up perpendicularly vertical flower of Root Beer Plant, Hoja Santa (Piper auritum). Has anyone tried cooking any of the South American/Mexican dishes that use the leaves as a wrap for fish, etc.? I can't imagine the root beer flavor with fish, but it might be good.

Jeremy

I'm not sure how this camera "error" occurred, but I really like the resulting photo. I have a feeling it will end up as a large abstract oil painting someday (assuming that I ever stop playing in my garden and actually get around to painting again! LOL).

Jeremy

I really like that big snow daylily Jeremy! Nice photos too.

Oh what a cool photo Jeremy! It would make a nice painting. Or even get that photo blown up, frame it & hang it. Nice colors. Just goes to show how sometimes the best things that happen are by accident.

Ann

High Springs, FL(Zone 8b)

Jeremy, I wonder if that's the same red dwarf I gave Molly years ago? If so, it's nice to see it's still going strong!

Maybe some folks who are much more organized than I already do this, but it would be cool to pass along a written provenance of plants we get from others. Of course, it's all I can do to make labels, much less keep up with a plant's history, so this sure won't start with me!

Here's my heavenly "Sweet Almond". When it blooms the scent is wonderful.
I got mine at Butterfly World. They said to dead head it and it would keep blooming. And it has.

Thumbnail by sugarweed

Here is one of my deck rail boxes.

Thumbnail by sugarweed

Thanks all for the comments on the photos!

Sidney - If you put the flowering almond (Aloysia virgata) in the ground, be sure to give it lots of room. I had no idea the 1 ft twig I stuck in the ground a few years ago would soon be taller than my 2-story house! My Aloysia blooms throughout the summer without much attention. It does tend to have a very leggy, almost weedy, limb growth, so I do spend some time cutting off the unwanted sucker limbs.
I am trying to root the sucker limbs and getting a few to take, so I should have flowering almond to give away soon. Does anyone know how it got the "almond" common name applied. I don't think the aroma is really like an almond scent, and the tree is definitely not in the almond genus (Prunus - which covers just about any fruit or nut with a pit).

Jeremy

This message was edited Jun 22, 2011 2:56 PM

Here's a bouquet of flowering almond that I sat on the kitchen windowsill. The sweet aroma didn't seem to last when the flowers were cut, but I think some of the twigs may be about to root in the water vase, so I'm leaving them be for a while.

Jeremy

Norma - it may have been you that gave me the Malvaviscus - dwarf Turk's Cap, or maybe I got them through Molly via your garden. I do feel bad at times when I know that a treasured plant came to me as a gift and I don't know for sure who it was that gave it to me, but like you, if I ever get around to putting a label on plants, that is about as much recordkeeping as I can handle! LOL

Photo: Breck's Lily Tree 'Boogie Woogie" -- in their third year of growing, they are finally living up to being labeled a lily "tree." They were only about 1 ft tall the first year, about 3 ft the second, and finally about 6 ft tall this year with a lot more flowers than previous seasons.

Jeremy

I was surprised to find out that Russian Sage is not truly a sage (salvia) -- and also not truly Russian (from central Asia: Iran, Pakistan, Afghanistan).

Russian Sage - Perovskia atriplicifolia http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/733/

Jeremy

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Hi all,
Thank you Jeremy for ID plants. I now know I have passiflora incense for the butterflies, also a turks cap from someone at RU and a rootbeer plant from my dgts. hair dresser in Madison. All are growing very well. BTW I have 2 of your blue sky vines and they are doing very well. One is in all shade and ready to start climbing up a tree and the other is in shade until 3:30 then full sun and I have it near a trellis.
The yellow cestrum are doing great. Silk tree from John has new shoots.
I think plant roundups are wonderful. New friends and new plants. Also, more knowledge about Fl. gardening.
Bonnie

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Bonnie

where is Clermont??? I'm still learning the towns (that is what 25+ years away from home will do to ya...).

I agree, plant roundups are wonderful.

Jan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.