Sad little blueberry shrub

Burien, WA(Zone 7b)

I moved into my house in December, so I do not know what kind of care it received before. It gets fairly regular water and lots of sunshine. at least 6+ hours a day. Any ideas why all the flowers and potential berries turned to schmutz? It seems to be putting out new leaves with no problem. Ill attach a few pics. Happy to post more if needed.

Thumbnail by HydroPinke
Greensburg, PA

There is a blueberry disease called mummyberry where the fruit dries up. I have not seen the disease first hand (fortunately) so do not know what it looks like. Google it and take a look.

As you don't know previous care, I'd I'd do a soil test, add a healthy layer of peat, pull by hand any weeds at the plant base and make sure that it gets some good sun and regular water. If the soil is seriously out of range for blueberries, add a small amount of sulfur, which is slower acting than the peat, to lower pH.

Burien, WA(Zone 7b)

Thank you, you led me in the right direction. It's not mummy berry, only because there are no berries. It's looms like a disease called blueberry scorch or blueberry shock. One is curable and one is not. I'm not attached to the plant, so to to compost pile it goes.
Thank you for the leads :)

Greensburg, PA

Sorry, thought those were dried up berries - eyes not so good these days.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.