Agastache Acapulco

(Ang) Bremerton, WA(Zone 8b)

Last month I helped my Dad pick out plants for the pool area where he works and I found a beautiful orange agastache labeled as 'Anise Hyssop Acapulco Hybrid'. When we went back to pick up one for myself (as a thank you for helping) I found this beauty listed the same way. It was one of two remaining plants. Both plants smell strongly of root beer and are both blooming beautifully.

My problem is I'm not sure if this is actually an acapulco because today, at another store, I found more Agastache by the same grower. 1/2 looked exactly like mine but are labeled 'Anise Hyssop Pink Pop'. The only difference is that they didn't smell like root beer, they smelled more lemony, and had slightly greener leaves. Also, I'd like to note that the other half of the plants were either deep dark pink or very light pink.

I'm not sure what to think here. Are there usually subtitle differences or is someone sowing seeds and selling what comes up?

Thumbnail by tikipod
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

tiki,
Subtle differences....and Agastache is rather promiscuous so unless it's cuttings ( and Agastache can be a PIA to root sometimes) so seed grown plants often differ from their parents. The Acapulco's didn't do so great for me here, but may do better for you.
Hopefully Rich will chime in here on this...he's a better resource.

Candor, NC

mjsponies is correct. There have been so many releases of varieties done in ignorance of provenance and the fact that seeds don't come true that it has been impossible to determine the species involved. Also, mistakes are often made with labeled stock plants and lots of cuttings.

I'd be happy to see the native species preserved in botanical gardens.

mjsponies the one my Dad bought for the pool area died but it may possibly be due to residents ripping (and stealing) the neighboring plants out. Mine is doing ok but doesn't look as healthy as my other Agastaches.

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Well you might try moving it. My Tutti Fruiti wasn't doing that great either and I moved it to more sun/richer soil and it's doing much better. Now I have another one..I think it's called Giant White, that does great with lots of sun, but DOESN'T like so great a soil. So..they hybrids I think take a little more babying.

Oxford, MS(Zone 7a)

My 'Acapulco' Trio Agastache is doing great...I got it at Lowes for $1 on the clearance rack, nursed it back to health and it sure is showing how appreciative it is. The hummers, bees, and hummingbird moths love it. I have it in with some Gaillardia 'Arizona Sun' and they love them both.

Thumbnail by DWMike
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I have planted some Agastache Accapulco, and I like it very much. It doe's not like to be watered on the top so I always water just the roots.This is in the background with purple Angelonia. Next year I will plant some more, they are the few flowers that where happy this Summer in the heat.

Thumbnail by kiseta

My Acapulco is still alive and kicking. It also has a few friends as well - Raspberry summer, Heat Wave, and Apricot Sunset. I need to resow some Korean Mint and Anise Hyssop

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I would love to find some Raspberry Summer, Heat Wave and others to go with my Tutti Fruiti which is doing great. Acapulco is very nice this year but I only purchased 2 plants when they came available at walmart. I'm now moving cromosia (orange) near the Acapulco with some purple liatris.

kathy

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I have ordered some Golden Jubilee agastache seeds, it is very nice lime leaves with purple flowers. I am planing to wintersow them, hope they work out. If I have extra you can have some. I ordered them from Diana's flower seeds. they will bloom the first year. Etelka

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Etelka, do they start easily from seed? I normally only do zinnia, cosmo, peony poppy from seed. I order from Diane's Seeds too.

kathy

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Golden Jubilee is easy to start by seed.

I've had good luck with most Agastaches...

except this year, with the horrid weather.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.