Daylilies are close to blooming!

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

I've been watching the posts from the warmer zones and eagerly waiting for the daylilies to begin in my garden. Well, we're close...

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener
suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Yes, they are. I noticed my Purple Prince Lily Tree bulbs just today coming up thru the surface. Heres a photo of the big ditchlily plant from Happ and in the background is the Red Daylily from Pepper. It looks like they each have about 15 flowers coming on.

Thumbnail by shortleaf
-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

Some of mine are blooming, and a lot of them have buds... should be any day now.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Since I have more shade mine will be later but my Asiatics and Orientals are starting to bloom. I have 3 so far blooming. Mambo, Blackout and a yellow.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

Here's my first daylily of the season - it opened this morning.

How about this red one?

Thumbnail by shortleaf

The Ditchlilies are putting on a show too!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Thats a nice Lily LG, heres my Purple Prince Lily Tree coming on!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Hey you really did get the red lily!! LOL!! I remember that we weren't 100% sure that that's what it was with everything that was going on but glad it is!!

Yellow Asiatic lily blooming.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

I love the red daylily - I have a couple reds, but nothing close to blooming this early.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

My second daylily variety to open - I am terrible about keeping the names of varieties I buy so this could be any one of a number of varieties I've added in the last 5 years. Every time I buy a new variety, I find I'm drawn towards the deep yellow colors.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

A miniature variety also opened this morning. I believe this was one in a collection of dwarf varieties given me last fall by a DG'er from Nebraska.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

White Asiatic lilies opened today too.

Yellow Asiatic

Thumbnail by pepper23

Blackout

Thumbnail by pepper23

Mambo

Thumbnail by pepper23
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

My daylilies are starting to bloom. I was taking pics of the hostas and didn't even notice the daylily blooming at first.

Thumbnail by roserairie

I have new pics of mine. Need to download them. They are finally starting their full glory.

Those are some pretty pics of Daylilies up there. I hope my Purple Prince Lily Tree flowers are as nice. I think any day now, they might have a few flowers, not bad for the first year I guess!
I hope they don't mind being in about 3 inches of soil for now in they're pots! I got a place all picked out for them, hopefully I'll get them planted there soon.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

A peach double opened this week.

One of my daylilies

Thumbnail by pepper23

Orange one

Thumbnail by pepper23
Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

I have a similar red variety, Pepper - do you by any chance know the name? I bought mine from Lennington Gardens (off Gregory, in Raytown) several years ago.

It's a great variety with lots of blooms. Unfortunately, I'm terrible about keeping things labeled.

I got mine from Powell Gardens a few years ago when they were thinning out their daylily beds. That whole bed is full of named ones but I don't have labels and don't remember the name.

Pink one

Thumbnail by pepper23
Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

Thank goodness! I'm not the only gardener who doesn't hang a tag on everything they plant! I used to put galvanized tin tags on things, but I couldn't find a marker that would last more than a few months and I kept tripping over the wires when I got into the beds to pull weeds so I tossed all of them. Here's a white variety that I love.

I have a white one that I think is called Sunday Morning. One of my favs. For some reason I've always remembered that name. lol

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

This red variety has just started blooming. I love the bright yellow/chartreuse throat.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

Another red variety showing its first blooms of the season this morning.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

A bright chrome yellow that opened its first blooms today.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

Double peach - a dependable, heavy-blooming variety that has been putting out blooms for the last two weeks.

You guys have some nice Daylilies, hopefully I can add a Brecks Purple Prince Lily Tree to the photos soon! Here it is today, getting more purple, but still closed up.
There is 3 Lily Trees in the photo, only one is turning noticeably purple.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

My white one. Has a heavy green tint to it sometimes.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Light pink with a fly on it. lol

Thumbnail by pepper23

Pink and gold together.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

They are alll so beautiful. I love the red ones. I had an idea to put tall purple daylilies in a border but not sure what kind. Any recommendations?

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Red-brownish with yellow stripes...

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Yellow...

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Light Peach...

Thumbnail by JuJu55

Hi rose, I can only suggest one purple one, like mine, a Purple Prince Lily Tree. Mine is maybe halfway open and not as purple yet as I'd hoped, maybe it'll get more purple yet. I was thinking maybe Brecks had accidently sent me a different one, but I think that is the right one, just maybe premature yet. I got the 3 bulbs, (with shipping) for $2.94 with a "FREE" $25 coupon from them. Actually, they sent me and my housemate coupons at different times and said I could use them both at this address. In the Fall I have 3 different Lily Trees from them coming for $2.94 total. The 3 bulbs alone are $19.99 usually.
Brecks has a few Lily Trees, they have put down the claim on hybidizing them or something.- http://brecks.com/category.asp_Q_c_E_128_A_l_E_2_A_g_E_1
Lily Trees flowers are big, they say 8", I believe it, mine are big too. If its straight and tall that you want, these might work.

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Shortleaf, I'll check out Brecks. I have ordered from them before. I have lilies all over the place - daylilies and the other kinds. I mixed them up everywhere and they look beautiful but now I'm thinking a border along the garage of just one kind might stand out more. The only problem is I might start out with one species and then I can't help by adding this or that. That's how I ended up with my crazy garden.

Thumbnail by roserairie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.