Male or Female?

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

I think this is a Phoenix roebelenii. I seems happy in it's home if this is any indication. Can anyone confirm please?

Thumbnail by jkochan
Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

Oh sorry, here is the big picture.

Thumbnail by jkochan
Victoria, TX(Zone 9a)

NO EXPERT HERE........ But what little i do know my female anything palm "like" to drape or form wide open spaces ready for "planting".... The males form "Cone" shapes. Just like humans.....
What I mean to say alot of it relates to human anatomy.
I could be VERY, VERY, Wrong...... but I would say if that plant has a sex It is Female.

Good Luck,,,,
An Expert in this forum will show up soon.

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

Thank you for the input. This is a new palm for me and I've never had any palm happy enough to bloom. (if you don't count washingtonias which seem to bloom if you look cross eyed at them.)

noonamah, Australia

I've got 3 P. roebelenii. One flowers, and I've seen plenty flowering around the place but never looked close up to see the differences between male and female. Mine has never produced seed so I assume male. If you look close you should see an ovary at the base of the flowers if yours is female.

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

Uh...thank you, but I wouldn't know an ovary from a Phx. R. if it came up and shook my hand...

noonamah, Australia

I'm sure it would tell you if you asked nicely. ;O)

If you google "plant anatomy", or something like that you should come up with something that will give you a clue as to what you've got.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

males make pollen, so if these flowers look liket they are pollen - makers, then it's a male (looks like a male to me). Females attempt to make what looks like will turn in to seed, and these do not look like that.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.