What is this?

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

This shrub is blooming at the museum I work at. A couple of the people here would like to know what it is, as would I. I'm sorry the pictures aren't great, used my cellphone and it is quite sunny out.

Thumbnail by Catbird423
Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

Another shot, hopefully more in focus.

Thumbnail by Catbird423
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Cat, Post that pic over on the Plant ID Forum. Might have better luck there. Sorry I can't help. If you get and ID over there could you post it here for me.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Wow Carbird- i'm totally stumped. The stems are so like honeysuckle but the bloom not at all!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

the flower makes me think "tree peony," and I think they come in yellow, but I dont' remember what the leaves look like... checking PF... OK, some tree peony varieties seem to have lobed leaves (in photos where you can see more than jus thte bloom), but here's one where the foliage looks like yours: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/17390/

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

?? I don't think that foliage matches. I'm going to the book on this. Googling gets me nowhere.

This message was edited Jun 5, 2011 3:05 PM

(Kim) Philadelphi, PA(Zone 6a)

Hypericum frondosum 'Sunburst maybe?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

You're right, Sally, it's just the newer leaves on that tree peony that weren't lobed... I didn't look closely enough! Kim, that's another one I have to look up... :-)

ooh, I think Kim got it! http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/76629/

(Kim) Philadelphi, PA(Zone 6a)

yay! : ) very nice shrub!

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

That might be. I'm going to get some better pix tomorrow using my camera. Guess that means I have to get out the directions to get the pix from the camera to the computer. lol

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

Okay, I think this is better. I'm thinking you may be right.

Thumbnail by Catbird423
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

That's St. John's Wort! LOL at how important scale is... that's sure nowhere near big enough to be a tree peony bloom, even if the plant is a shrub! It's beautiful. Are you going to take cuttings?

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

Jill, how would I take cuttings to root? What is the process?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

No clue on this specific plant. But you can root a lot of "woody" plants by taking half-hard cuttings (below where it's green and really flexible, but before it turns into a big hard-barked branch) and sticking them in moist soil... my mom has success with several shrubs by sticking prunings behind the shrub where they have some shelter until they root. Or google "air layering," where you wrap a moist medium around the stem until roots form and then take the cutting, already rooted.

Or those who would like this plant can say, well now that I know what it is, I know which plant to order from the nursery! :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.