Lingonberries in DC metro area?

Accokeek, MD

Hi! I love lingonberries but they are said not to do well in heat and humidity. Has anyone tried them in the DC metro area? Thanks

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I've never tried them but since they are such a favorite in Northern Europe, they just mght not like it here. Do you have a cooler spot in the yard to try them, (as opposed to a sunnny south facing wall?)

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Gardenglories----

IF you have an Ikea anywhere near you--you can buy anything made from Lingonberries....
Mostly juice concentrates and jams...

If I am correct (??), they are a relative of the Cranberry., which grows in cool, watery bogs
in Northern European Countries--mainly in the Scandinavian countries.

I really do not think any of these would grow in MD. Too hot--too dry.....
The environment is just not right....

Of course, you can always Google Lingonberries and get all the answers you want.

Gita

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

The North-Norwegian here - I grew up on homemade 'tyttebær' jams & jellies & we picked our own, I agree 100% that this is probably not a good environment to grow them in, much too hot and humid - move to Alaska ^_^

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Bec---

Thanks for your support on my suggestions! Gita

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Hey Gardenglories, I've never tried Lingonberries here or anywhere else. Still working on growing blueberries! Seems there is a lotof research and breeding and interest in Lingonberries as a "new" berry crop in N America. Here is a link to growing them in containers where it would be much easier to control for the acid soil they want. My impression is that soil type is more crucial to success with them than cold winters, although areas with a snow cover do protect their low growing branches. Wonder how many mature plants one would need to harvest enough for a half dozen jars of jam?

http://growingtaste.com/fruit/lingonberries.shtml

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Uhm, a lot! They are about 1/3 of the size of Cranberries - BUT, freshly stirred 'tyttebær' jam (not boiled, kinda like refrigerator jam) is awesome!!

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

If you want really, really delicious lingonberry jam there is nothing better than this one made by a Danish company - the jam is not boiled, but stirred - and all of the jams are incredible! Especially the raspberry one, tastes so much better than the 'regular' stuff you get in the stores - http://www.nordichouse.com/detail.aspx?ID=221

Accokeek, MD

Thanks everybody! I was planning to grow them for their landscape value and for the birds, but I am definitely going to try the jam as well. I guess I will settle for blueberries and evergreen huckleberries until I move back to Montana where I grew up. Gardening in zone 7 is completely different than gardening there. Especially the humidity! =^}

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Huckleberries!! Huckleberry chocolate/jams from MT are incredible! It's what I ask our friends to bring with when they come out to visit from Great Falls :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.