Honeyberry in Zone 9a (Houston, TX area)?

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

Is anyone growing Honeyberry in Zone 9a. I can't seem to find the chill hour requirements.
Also, Are they a shrub/bush like blueberry, or are they a vine like Honeysuckle?
Along that line, Will they grow in Alkaline soil like Honeysuckle, or do they need more acidic soil like blueberry?

I saw some here, but I'm not sure I trust Michigan bulb for zone 9
http://michiganbulb.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_79974_A_Honey+Sweet+Honeyberries_E_

[Posting in Texas Gardening too]

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Are you posting in Texas Rare Fruit Growers as well?
Smart questions. I will answer it regardless.

This is just for hot zones.

Honeyberries can not take the heat so the first thing to do is find a spot that get lots of morning sun only. They really cant take any afternoon sun. They actually like the shade a bit so that is cool. I have only had one Honeyberry flower and it was just one after that monster winter year before last. However, it wasnt on the North side of the house that gets more chill. I had one planted that got some afternoon sun that never grew at all until I moved it to the north side of the house and it just took off with leaves right away.

OneGreenWorld lists two types as late and early blooming. If you find one that flowers the second spring you get it, let me know for sure. The first spring means nothing.

I believe that good soil rather than ph is important with this plant. Make a good bed or nice pot and find your little area. A pot would be best as the sun changes throughout the year and you want to be sure you have the best place. I would get something like MiracleGrow and add a little peat but not too much. I use rainwater and I am not sure if it dislikes the alkaline tap water we have here like Blueberries do. Dont plant it in the clay unless you really worked a lot of organic matter into it first.

Do updates as I am experimenting with this too.

I have had luck with the Juneberries/Serviceberries which are a northern plant. It appears that Regent can grow here and fruit even though it should not. The soil will be the same as the Honeyberries. Very well drained with lots of organic matter. Serviceberry can take sun or shade down here.

Greensburg, PA

With honeyberries, make sure that you also mulch well, as they like organic material and the mulch will help keep the roots cool.

Mine tend to stop growing and even go dormant (losing most of their leaves) during the heat of summer. It is really important that they not dry out too much during high heat. A couple of varieties will even bloom and fruit out of season(in the fall), after a summer resting period. I think you might be able to get some fall fruit production in TX under the right conditions. I've had a few fall berries produced here.

We are starting to see some Canadian varieties from U. of S. breeding programs become available in the US. They are labeled as "hascaps" or "haskaps". They are supposed to be larger, better tasting and more productive, but I have not had a chance to try these varieties nor have any idea how well they would do in the deep south.

Honeyberries (or Haskaps) are certainly worthwhile in my opinion and hope they do well for you. I always wish for more production than I get in the limited space I have for them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.