Moving an Established Japanese Maple

Wilmington, NC(Zone 8a)

DHaley, you are so calm about losing your momma's JM! I read this whole thread and heads would roll if I had to sit by and watch anybody slowly kill and Acer. I'm sorry for your loss. I hope they like their stupid pool.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

the pictured tree just need staking any tree should til it gets more caliper trunk unless yon like crooked trees or ones broken off by high wind.. staking that tree is a no brainer another steroid Oregon grown tree that is not that old as itn looks
REMEMBER!!!!! caliper, branching, and form are much more important than height.. that will be a great tree in 5-10 years if it makes it that long it is all head and no feet if it doesn't split from beings beefed up by growers to get more $$ for it .. I never fertilize my trees except when re potting but in ground if soil is good no need... more fertilkzer the worse splitting btanches that are not supported by a heavy enough trunk .

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I looked a the tree , it is not leaning, I know it looks like it in picture. But that is because the ground slopes away from the house. Where I was standing, i guess that made it look like it is sloping. If you think it will be ok there I will leave it dave. But as the woods grows more each year, I am afraid that it will get over taken by it. The woods is about 10 ft behind it. If you look straight ahead in the pic you will see the small tree( pic in 08), with the other trees over head.

Thumbnail by marie_kap
Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

pretty close but most jms do better with a little shade stake it or it will lean towards sunlight ... maybe too close but nas said many time Jms are great understudy trees but you will likely need to trim up your forest close by which should probably be done anyway ... higher branches on trees around this one so it is a true understudy tree not just a mess of entangled with other low branched trees D-san

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.