Please help Identify this plant

Callands, VA(Zone 7a)

A neighbor gave me this flowering plant but does not know what it is. I would like to know what it is and where it would be 'happy' planted in my garden.

Thumbnail by AngelDance
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Looks like a campanula

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Looks like Campanula takesimana 'Elizabeth'.

Ours grow happily in half sun to day-long open shade, just keep watered during dry spells.

Edited to add culture info.

This message was edited May 28, 2011 12:41 PM

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Would agree on it being "Elizabeth." This is one of ours from last year, and they look the same. They're just getting ready to bloom this year.

Thumbnail by ecnalg
Crozet, VA

Just to let David and Pat know that the one I received from you two last year at Becky's is in full bloom now and seems very happy where we planted it. I haven't yet planted the ones you gifted me with at Terri's swap, but will most likely plant near the older on. So very beautiful. Thank you so very much.

Ruby

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Ruby,

So glad to hear you're enjoying the one in bloom and that the others have a good home. They really put on a great show.

Pat

Crozet, VA

Oh yes Pat, when I first saw the blooming one at Becky's swap I was drooling over it. Thankfully it was an extra you all brought, so I happily took it home with me. Now if the temperatures would go down a bit, I would be such a happy camper. I haven't had time to try the Peanut Butter Bars yet, but will do so soon. I will always think of you while I am eating them.

Ruby

Athens, PA

I have this one as well and just love it. Mine, also is in part sun. They can be quite prolific.

Crozet, VA

David, Pat and anyone else with more experience with Campanulas than myself. How do I go about growing more of these? I heard you all say that they self seed or something, but is there a way for me to collect seeds and grow them? Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Ruby

Athens, PA

Ruby

after they flower, there will be little dried seed pods - if you break them open, they contain many tiny little seeds that look much like foxglove seeds.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Ruby - we have no shortage of these plants and we do nothing to increase their numbers. They self-seed very readily and if you plant one plant in a five gallon nursery pot it will fill it in a year or so. We thin out our large pot of 'Elizabeth every spring and give about half the contents away.

Crozet, VA

Thanks Carolyn and David too. I might try each way and see what happens. John has been sitting up a table at our local Farmers Market this year and we are thinking of possibly getting some of these started for next years sales. I believe they will sell if folks see them while in bloom.

Ruby

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.