Help- need creative ideas!

Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

A month or so ago, the neighbor directly behind us decided to cut down all the trees in his backyard along our fence, pretty much. Before, there was always a dense line of tree foliage there in the late Spring and Summer which provided shade and privacy. I'm primarily concerned about the far right corner which will now get a fair amount of sun- morning through about one is my guess. The reason that bothers me is that the hosta I have there are now getting their shade from the trees in my yard- the ones in front of them. So they are going to be inclined to lean towards the back neighbors direction. I don't really want to be looking at hosta backsides! I'm hoping when everything fully leafs out things will right themselves, but I'm nervous.

A perhaps bigger issue for me is the loss of privacy feeling. We now have a full view of the house next door to the backyard neighbor's house. This house was never visible in the summer before and it just really, really bugs me. I really want to stick something in that corner, along the fence, that will screen that off from my view as much as possible.

Here are the issues- this is a very narrow space between our fence and a large oak, not to mention my 3 large hosta which I can't possibly move. I had put a small bed up there last year along the fence and there is solid ledge under it....I'll have to modify that bed and add more soil if I'm to plant anything up there. So what can I put there that is both skinny at the bottom and fuller at the top, and doesn't need a ton of soil to grow in? The fence is four feet high and I'd like whatever I put there to be a couple feet taller than that, at least. As I said, it's probably going to get a good half day of full sun, then shade from the oak when the sun passes over head (if it ever decides to shine again here).

I'm also nervous that the guy has opened up his yard so much that deer might now be tempted to hop the fence back there. They've never attempted our taller wooden fence in the front, but the chain link along the back is lower...and all those hosta are just waiting...I'm seriously tempted to get some black plastic netting and stick it up there, regardless of how it looks.

I thought about a vine, but don't know if a half day is enough sun, and it seems like many of them have poison fruits, which is out of the question with my dog.

Oh, and did I mention that I need something that will do the trick as fast as possible???

I just don't know what to do! Any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated. Here are some pics of the problem corner from some different angles. The red mark is the general spot where some sort of screen needs to go.

First pic is the house I want to not see. This is the view from the deck when I walk out the back door. I have a nice sized Japanese Maple that goes in the big pot on the rock, so much of the house will be blocked from view when I put that in there. (blocked from view when I stand on the deck, anyway)

Thumbnail by Noreaster

This is the spot I want to put something to give me back my privacy feel in my little hosta nook. I want to hunt my slugs and not feel like I'm display back there.

Thumbnail by Noreaster

from the front angle. The brown house on the left belongs to the neighbor that cut all the trees down. It sits a little lower and its just the roof that's mostly visible, so that doesn't bother me as much as the other house

Thumbnail by Noreaster

And this is the side view from up near the fence....so it's really narrow up there. And I really have to get rid of that Sweet Woodruff, while I'm at it.

Thumbnail by Noreaster
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

You can put up some lattice work, that would give you instant shade and then plant some clems or climbing hydrangea.

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

I agree about climbing hydrangea. It's dense, reasonably quick growing, and indestructible once it's established. You could use more than one all along the back. But you would need to raise the height of the fence to really get rid of the neighbors. It's a lovely spot you have there, btw.

I would plant a row of evergreens to hide that fence.

New Hampshire, NH(Zone 5b)

I'll second the climbing hydrangea

I thought about hydrangea but was concerned about the time for that to grow....everyone says it takes years for them to start to grow.

I just don't think I've got room or soil to plant a row of evergreens.....they'd have to be super skinny. I'd really like some nice dark trees BEHIND the fence, but that of course is the neighbors yard. Gah. I wonder if he'd notice if I snuck over and planted a tree in his yard. You couldn't even see our black fence when there was a wall of trees back there.

This message was edited May 24, 2011 8:04 AM

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Climbing Hydrangea are lovely but do take time and require some support as they are heavy. Black plastic Deer fence can be put up and then planted with climbing vines such as clematis (there are some that are more shade tolerant, see link below) or Honeysuckle ( Lonicera sempervierens ) which does really well on our deer fence too. Also there are some climbing roses that will do fine with your amount of sun. There is a narrow growing holly shrub that we planted a few years back which might be a good option as the deer don't touch it. Ilex opaca 'William Hawkins' – narrow leaf American holly that grows to somewhere around 6 or a few feet taller with very narrow and spiny foliage that stays attractive year round. Or try some Inkberry which does well in any light condition except complete shade. We grow clematis that grows nice through it for summer color. It is easy to trim to keep at what ever size you want and is not too expensive to buy in larger sizes for instant cover.

Quoting:

Inkberry (Ilex glabra) is an evergreen holly shrub native from Nova Scotia, Canada, to the Deep South, growing to between 4 and 8 feet. The female plants generate dark black berries by September. Cultivars such as Alba, Ivory Queen and Leucocarpa produce white fruit. Compacta is an inkberry cultivar with a round form. Chamzin has darker foliage than the parent species possesses; this is a cold-hardy holly shrub, able to tolerate temperatures as low as minus 24 degrees Fahrenheit, according to the University of Connecticut Plant Database.

http://www.chalkhillclematis.com/nursery_shop/partialshade.htm
Picture of clematis scrambling through an Inkberry hedge that is behind a big bed of hosta as well as a close up of the clematis flower. There is also a shot of the coral colored honeysuckles that grows nicely in quite a bit of shade up through a big Oakleaf Hydrangea which can do well in part shade too. Good luck, Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

Here's a picture of a climbing hydrangea going up the side of a barn. it's very old, and we had just had some of the biggest trunks cut back. This year it completely covers the wood. it's also lovely when it flowers, white lacecaps in the summer. you could mix in a couple of clematis, too- montana for the spring, and the autumn one for later.

Thumbnail by Pfg

If you want something fast and ready in a couple of months Morning Glory's Tall Mix. They grow 8-10' and will last till your 1st frost. Of course they are an annual until you can get something permanent figured out. They are Burpee and can be found at anyplace that carrys Burpee. I found these in the grocery store and dumb dumb had to grab them. Easy to germinate and grow. They are the tray in the last row. Looking at them right now I have to get them out of there before they tangle themselves!

Thumbnail by

The tray in the front is Scarlet O'Hare. On the package it also says 8-10 feet. Both were germinated and planted same days. The tall mix is taking off faster.

Thumbnail by

Thanks for the input, everyone! bbrokkrd, I would love to have honeysuckle because I LOVE that color, but it's supposed to be pretty toxic to pets, and my dog likes to walk that fence line and eat anything that pokes through...so I just can't risk it. That would have been my first choice if not for that. Clematis is also poisonous to dogs. If Mickey didn't have a penchant for tasting things up there, it wouldn't be an issue, but unfortunately, he does. I went to a nursery today with a friend and came back with too many plants. First, before we went, I stood in my yard at 1:00 and there was still full sun in that corner (the sun actually deigned to shine today).

So I came home with several options for the corner, as well as other, shadier spots that I want to screen.

Basically, I have two options for the problem corner- whichever one I don't use I will try in the opposite corner, where we lost a huge pine. That is also rather open and bright now for half a day. The two options are climbing hydrangea and Hardy Kiwi vine 'Arctic White'....the kiwi vine intrigues me. It's got sporadic white tips on leaves that look like they were dipped in paint. Full sun, but this variety likes some shade. Supposed to be fast growing. I really like the pics I've seen when googling.

The hydrangea is quite tall already, so I had to buy it. My inlaws have an incredilble one on their arbor and I have to admit I do love the look of those. If I opt to use the hydrangea in the problem corner, I've got to figure out some sort of structure to add to the fence to give me some height and more weight support. Probably want to add something for height if I use the Kiwi vine, as well. That's the part I'm having trouble figuring out....I'm not sure I want a trellis that really stands out. I think I want something that blends with the environment and the fence more?

For instant gratification this summer, I also got Moonflower vine annual. But I'm not sure how to plant that- it came in a 4 inch peat pot- do I keep it in that? I would like to plant it in a container, and place it right next to the chain link fence. Maybe I should use several? I have no idea how fast/full vines get.

Here are pics of the hydrangea next to the kiwi vine.

Thumbnail by Noreaster

I also had to bring home this bright gold Hops "Bianca". Tag says part shade to shade. Supposedly a VERY fast grower. (translation: invasive/thug??) I have a neighbor on the side of the house that has driven me crazy for years....their driveway faces our yard and they are always coming and going. I didn't want to plant a tree because that would eat up too much of my side yard. I think in that spot I will put a trellis and hopefully this vine will screen them out. Oh, I hope it works. The leaves look like grape leaves. This is the pot of hops up against the fence towards the middle of the yard. I would also like it here, but I think there is nothing but solid ledge under there so it may not be possilble to plant anything in the ground.

Thumbnail by Noreaster
New Hampshire, NH(Zone 5b)

Wow - that IS a large hydrangea! You wont need to worry about the trellis standing out for long. The hydrangea will cover it completely. I have the opposite problem -I got a very nice trellis that I would love to have stand out but I only see hints of it in the winter.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Regarding hops:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1181665/

Yeah, the hydrangea was $20 more than one half that size and I decided it was worth it.

Pirl, that's what I figured about the hops! It looks like it's rated to zone 3 and I think I am going to keep it in a large pot next to the side fence. It might be the perfect thing to quickly screen out those neighbors and if it's contained I can control it better.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

You were right to buy the largest climbing hydrangea.

A container is a great idea for the hops.

Great shopping, Noreaster! Gorgeous vines, all of them! I think the Moonflower wants a bigger pot, they can get pretty big.

What about filling in with hollyhocks from seed? If you're getting that much sun, they should do fine this year while the vines get going, and give you a bit of color. There are those wonderful dark ones that would keep the mood of your shade garden.

Marshfield, MA

I find climbing hydrangea to be not only very easy to start from layering they seem to take off pretty quickly when planted out. I have a third season in the ground plant that is easily 20 feet plus and will provide plenty of blooms this year. I have four or five started plantes in pots that are doing great so next time you are down this way from ME let me know and I will give you a couple.
I feel your pain about the loss of privacy. Neighbor got a new chain saw and cut every thing between us so I am always feeling like I'm being watched. I have actually been root pruning and moving 5 foot Rhodies. I always gave the guy a view of the water through my yard but the benches and gliders facing me when I'm scratching myself is killing me. His clear cutting also resulted in all the rain that falls rushing through my gardens. In his defense I'm not sure it has even occured to him he is encroaching (sp) so maybe I could have been a better neighbor just by chatting with him instead of stewing in my own juice..

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

some great suggestions here - good luck noreaster!

Thanks again, everyone. My father in law came over today and brainstormed with me about the fence and hydrangea. He thinks we can extend the posts and stretch some wire across for the hydrangea to climb and give me a little more height. I'm still not sure what to do with the kiwi vine, because I love that too. My FIL also put the bug in my head that a climbing hydrangea would look great crawling up the oak tree, next to Parhelion hosta.

Can someone tell me how to plant these moonflowers- do I leave them in the peat pots and plant them in a bigger pot, or am I supposed to take them out of the peat and transplant them directly into potting soil (I do want them in a pot)

Thumbnail by Noreaster

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.