Northeast Gardening: Help- need creative ideas!, 1 by Noreaster

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Noreaster

In reply to: Help- need creative ideas!

Forum: Northeast Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Help- need creative ideas!
Noreaster wrote:
Thanks for the input, everyone! bbrokkrd, I would love to have honeysuckle because I LOVE that color, but it's supposed to be pretty toxic to pets, and my dog likes to walk that fence line and eat anything that pokes through...so I just can't risk it. That would have been my first choice if not for that. Clematis is also poisonous to dogs. If Mickey didn't have a penchant for tasting things up there, it wouldn't be an issue, but unfortunately, he does. I went to a nursery today with a friend and came back with too many plants. First, before we went, I stood in my yard at 1:00 and there was still full sun in that corner (the sun actually deigned to shine today).

So I came home with several options for the corner, as well as other, shadier spots that I want to screen.

Basically, I have two options for the problem corner- whichever one I don't use I will try in the opposite corner, where we lost a huge pine. That is also rather open and bright now for half a day. The two options are climbing hydrangea and Hardy Kiwi vine 'Arctic White'....the kiwi vine intrigues me. It's got sporadic white tips on leaves that look like they were dipped in paint. Full sun, but this variety likes some shade. Supposed to be fast growing. I really like the pics I've seen when googling.

The hydrangea is quite tall already, so I had to buy it. My inlaws have an incredilble one on their arbor and I have to admit I do love the look of those. If I opt to use the hydrangea in the problem corner, I've got to figure out some sort of structure to add to the fence to give me some height and more weight support. Probably want to add something for height if I use the Kiwi vine, as well. That's the part I'm having trouble figuring out....I'm not sure I want a trellis that really stands out. I think I want something that blends with the environment and the fence more?

For instant gratification this summer, I also got Moonflower vine annual. But I'm not sure how to plant that- it came in a 4 inch peat pot- do I keep it in that? I would like to plant it in a container, and place it right next to the chain link fence. Maybe I should use several? I have no idea how fast/full vines get.

Here are pics of the hydrangea next to the kiwi vine.