Meyer Lemon with pale leaves

Santa Ynez, CA

The new leaves on my dwarf Meyer lemon tree are very pale with dark green veins. I watered it with epsom salts (1 Tbs to a g. water) about 7 weeks ago and that greened up the leaves for awhile. More recently I fed it with Dynamite slow release plant food for citrus, but there is no sign of the newer leaves, greening up.

I have had the tree for 3 years, it was in a 15 gl. container at the time. As it looked like it had just been moved up from a 5 G. container I left it in that until last spring. It is now in what is probably a 25 G. pot (23" diameter, and 20" deep). I used a good quality potting soil. I had wanted to mix perlite and some coir in chunk form into the potting soil to lighten it up, but the gardener had it in the new pot before I had a chance to stop him. The soil has compacted somewhat. I use a moisture meter before watering the tree.

I live in Santa Ynez CA , our water has a pH of 8. The tree has produced well and has some new lemons on it now, although not as many as in the past 2 years. Any advice or suggestions would be appriciated. Susie

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

pH of 8 sounds dreadfully high. I would expect pH of around 7.2 would be good. Why don't you ask the CA extension service? (UC Davis, is ,I think, where they would be). What probably matters is the soil pH, not the water. It's better to ask your local experts than someone across the country. They usually have "Master Gardeners" anxious to help.

This message was edited May 23, 2011 4:15 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.