News from Ranch Rehab...life on the wild side

Williamsburg, MI(Zone 4b)

The season is off and running after a slow cold start. In the last two weeks, two porcupines, 8 squirrels, 6 bunnies, 14 ducks and a fawn have arrived. It seems like everywhere I look there are mouths to feed and butts to wash. Last week, I had to explain to my Tai CHi instructor that I was late because I had porcupine pee on my uniform and had to find a clean one. Tonight, I missed class all together because I was picking up a fawn.

It seems like everywhere I go I have a basket with something in it that needs feeding before I get home. Some people just don't seem to understand that if I don't go out with them, I don't go out. My life is lived in two to four hour increments and it's not even baby bird season yet. Then, even a trip to the grocery store requires company and a box of worms. People have learned, never, never open my purse expecting to find wallet, lipstick and money.

Tonight, I was standing in line at the grocery store, covered in fawn poop and blood. As I handed over $5 for a 12 oz can of goat milk, I asked myself if it's really worth all this. I got back to the car and fed a brand new baby white tail the milk, it gave me a wet slimy nuzzle, I knew. It's worth every second, every cent, every missed class or cold dinner, even if I was late for belly dance.

Now there is a contented fawn sleeping in the play pen, 14 baby ducks peeping quietly in the corner, a pile of happy squirrels and bunnies and a baby porcupine tucked in my sweatshirt. Bottles are empty and butts are washed. Life is good at the ranch.

Thumbnail by jylgaskin
Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Oh, that baby porcupine is just too cute for words. Good photo catch, too. Life amongst all those critters sounds so nice, but I do realize that in reality there is a LOT of work, much like having dozens of toddlers all at once, I imagine. (In reality, I have trouble keeping up with my 2 cats and 1 dog, all grown.)

Williamsburg, MI(Zone 4b)

Right now the porcupines are bichering like children. I'm about to send them to seperate rooms.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

ROTFL!

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

What a busy time of the year for you! Of course, it all sounds so enchantingly beautiful to me☺all of those critters...

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

That is an adorable photo!! Sounds busy and really do hope you enjoy what you do and that life is good at the ranch. When it gets to be a burden you will know it is time to stop. Until then, happy blessings to you and all the critters!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I don't mean to glamorize it. I understand that in reality it is far more difficult than I can truly grasp [w/out actually participating], but Ranch Rehab always looks so much more rewarding than my job. There can be no doubt that it involves considerably more physical work, more closeup interactions with yucky 'biological and organic stuff', and infinitely more occasions to get up in the middle of the night to handle some crisis (especially given that my job involves none of these things), but still it seems so much more enjoyable and rewarding in that you are dealing with, helping, and having a relationship, however brief, with real, living, breathing creatures. You can't replace that feeling with all the computers and 1's and 0's on the planet (I'm a s/w engineer, so those are my tools and the 'creatures' I share my day with.)

I often am truly envious.

Edited to remove wordiness.

This message was edited May 27, 2011 9:03 PM

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Sorry for filling up the thread with my stuff. Hoping you will be back soon to tell us more about what is happening with the baby porcupine, the fawns, and others.

This message was edited May 27, 2011 9:02 PM

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Aww what a sweet pic of the baby porcupine .I can only imagine, the work that goes along with those babies. Glad your so devoted to those critters.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.