Wildlife: News from Ranch Rehab...life on the wild side, 1 by jylgaskin

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright jylgaskin

Subject: News from Ranch Rehab...life on the wild side

Forum: Wildlife

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of News from Ranch Rehab...life on the wild side
jylgaskin wrote:
The season is off and running after a slow cold start. In the last two weeks, two porcupines, 8 squirrels, 6 bunnies, 14 ducks and a fawn have arrived. It seems like everywhere I look there are mouths to feed and butts to wash. Last week, I had to explain to my Tai CHi instructor that I was late because I had porcupine pee on my uniform and had to find a clean one. Tonight, I missed class all together because I was picking up a fawn.

It seems like everywhere I go I have a basket with something in it that needs feeding before I get home. Some people just don't seem to understand that if I don't go out with them, I don't go out. My life is lived in two to four hour increments and it's not even baby bird season yet. Then, even a trip to the grocery store requires company and a box of worms. People have learned, never, never open my purse expecting to find wallet, lipstick and money.

Tonight, I was standing in line at the grocery store, covered in fawn poop and blood. As I handed over $5 for a 12 oz can of goat milk, I asked myself if it's really worth all this. I got back to the car and fed a brand new baby white tail the milk, it gave me a wet slimy nuzzle, I knew. It's worth every second, every cent, every missed class or cold dinner, even if I was late for belly dance.

Now there is a contented fawn sleeping in the play pen, 14 baby ducks peeping quietly in the corner, a pile of happy squirrels and bunnies and a baby porcupine tucked in my sweatshirt. Bottles are empty and butts are washed. Life is good at the ranch.