CLOSED: Free Seeds for New Bees May 17, 2011

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

Corey, I was having a problem with my hosta, and it was suggested if it might be slugs, to put some sandpaper around them, as they won't crawl across that. Could give it a try.

Reminds me of a movie where as the person planted their veggie crop, a gopher came along and pulled them down through the hole as fast as they were planting them. Maybe it was a cartoon. lol When they got to the end of the row and looked back, there was NOTHING there!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Ouch! sandpaper for slugs!!! Sounds like it might be pretty effective, and planet friendly too! (I was going to say humane, but Corey would mock me).

A.

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Try putting out beer in containers to control (trap) slugs...this works amazingly well! Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN6ZLRHvf5g

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Here's some slug control ideas I've tried in the past:

Sprinkling with a salt shaker
Sprinkling with hot Italian pepper flakes
Spreading with dry sharp sand
Fertilizing lightly with ammonium type feritlizer
Beer in flat tunafish or catfood cans

Some or all will work to a certain extent in small areas. Fertilizing will help in larger areas, but use sparingly not to burn plants.

Al

(Ang) Bremerton, WA(Zone 8b)

I use a critter-b-gone spray too except I make mine a tad bit differently. I use habaneros, garlic cloves, dish soap, and water. I blend them together, strain it through cheese cloth, and place it in a jar to meld. Works wonders for aphids and leafhoppers. I don't have to worry about hurting good bugs because the blasted condo killed them all.

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

I have a slug recipe on one of these threads...If I could find it I would be using it....

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

I hope you're not eating them, Robin.....

Al

OHHhhhhh, Al is SHARP today!

YUM YUM..... sauteed` slug.

None for me please, I'll pass.

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

LolOl you got me!!

Thumbnail by arejay59
Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

I've been sorting The Stash so I know where to look for things, and now your names are associated in my mind with BIG, BULGING BAGS of SEEDS!

Thank you to everyone who's a Contributing Angel!

It was warm and sunny yesterday, but I went hog-wild indoors, sorting, labelling, re-bagging and generally being a compulsive engineer with boxes of seeds.

I wonder if there is a special psychiatric category for excessive labelling?
Maybe a special form of seed-related OCD? Obsessive Seed Disorder?

Slug a la mode?
Slug pate?
Slugs au gratin?

YUCK!

Corey

If there is, you will find it!
Ooowwwwwww, LOUD ferocious thunder is happening her right now, maybe we gonna get some of that wet stuff that we rarely get this time of year. Crossing my fingers.

Hope you get some mekos. We could use some more too, but not much chance for the next week. 90's again.

Nice shower for 5 minutes maybe and cooled things off a bit. It was nice.

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Yooo hooo Crit ....

Thumbnail by arejay59

Hey arejay .... what's happening?

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

is there a new thread?

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

My bad!

The new thread is:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1191453/

One of the admins offered to make whichever New bee thread was most recent a "sticky", but they don't seem to have done that yet.

ALL: I have been slow getting new bee mailers out, but I have about 6 about 80% stuffed. Soon! Soon!

Corey

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Crit watch your mailbox Iris delivery!!!

woohooo. Do I owe you any trades? I don't know what I've done with my 'owe to' list. My trade tracker is soooo behind!

This message was edited Jun 30, 2011 2:39 PM

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

No you dont owe me anything its the ones you won for guessing who the new seed saver was!!

Ohhhhhhhhh, double yippeeeee

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.