question about Gladiolus

Crozet, VA

I asked this on the Glads forum but thought I would also ask any MAGardeners who might love this blooming beauty. How have you corrected Glads tendency to be top heavy and fall over? I haven't really addressed the issue in my gardens but since discussing the topic with someone else here, I thought I would ask.

Are there any inexpensive ways to stake them or does it have anything to do with the depth of how they are planted? Since I claim that Gladiolus/Gladiolas are my favorite flower, I thought I ought to get to know a little about this frustrating tendency they have.

Thanks all for any feedback.

Ruby

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Ruby, the trick is plant them deep. We start with a furrow 8" deep. Lay the corms in the furrow & fill about half way. After they send out leaves, go back & fill level. Then when they are about 12 to 18 tall, hill them up. A lot simpler than staking.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/498789/

I thought this thread was a sticky, not.
Bernie

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Thank you, Bernie, for sharing the info. I too had the problem of Glads falling all over the place, and I finally stopped planting them. I love their pretty flowers. Will try again next year.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I have glads that were already here when we bought the house, I'm not going to redig to plant deeper so I found that these willow arches(about 12-18") work great, blends in because garden is packed tight with all types of perennials
Trying to find a picture but I can't find one! Will post when I do

Crozet, VA

Thanks so much Bernie. I will read the link you sent later. I had a suspicion that they were not buried deep enough. We are in the same boat as Jen is and have a chocked full bed of other perennials along side them. Hilling them is a great idea and would work if we can work around the other plants.

Thanks Jen for the willow arch idea too. Looking forward to seeing a picture of your flowers.

Ruby

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Other people have mentioned when they are not dug up every fall, they will tend to get closer to the surface by themselves.
We have to dig & store them or they will freeze.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.