Lilac (Syringia) not flowering

Cockeysville, MD(Zone 7a)

I planted a lilac in full sun 3-4 years ago. Although it has had nice healthy foliage and has grown to approx 7 ft tall, it has not ever flowered. It is mulched and fertilized regularly and is a single specimen plant in that area. The yard has dogwood and other flowering shrubs and my vegetable garden is adjacent to the lilac bush so there are no obvious nutritional problem. Is there a specific nutrient that may be missing? Would appreciate any suggestions.
Thank you.

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Lilacs like alkaline soil. You may want to give it some lime. Dogwood and azaleas grow well in our area because our soil is acidic.

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

Sometimes young shrubs take a few years to bloom. I have some shrubs that took five or more. Are you pruning it at all? Lilac blooms on old wood.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I agree with Loretta.....

Lilacs need a few years to mature before they bloom...

As always--PATIENCE is the main VIRTUE when it comes to gardening....

Gita

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

That all sounds good. I have a white one I'm waiting on too. I'll give it some extra lime, thanks gardeners!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

We have lilacs all over the place that have bloomed before, but this year zero, zip, nada, no flowers at all. It has me puzzled. I just figured that our warm spell pushed the buds a little too far and they all froze. Ric

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Now that you mention it-------

My old Lilac had only two high branches that had a couple of blooms on them.
Interesting!!! BUT--It IS old and does not get enough sun.

You would think that I can remember--but did we have a warm spell sometimes this past winter?
Might have interfered with bud formation.

Gita

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

On the other hand, it is a great year for hydrangea.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.