Crazy tomato

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Here is a photo of a slice of tomato I think is very weird. It is a store purchased "tomato on the vine" that I had bought a week before using and it had been on the kitchen island. This is what I found when I sliced it. At first it looked like worms, then I realized the seeds had started to germinate. I had taken a bite from another slice and it is pretty firm. I still have it in a saucer with water and I may cut it into wedges and plant it. I am guessing it is sterile, but will do just for the fun of it.

Thumbnail by quiltygirl
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

I quit buying the "tomatoes on the vine" for just that reason.LOL! Looks gross!

San Diego, CA

Wow. Is that how the tomatoes are propagated?

(Pegi) Norwalk, CA(Zone 10b)

Never saw a tomato like that, I would be curious enough to try and germinate it and see what happens. Well, I know not to buy them on the vine, but then I don't buy tomatoes, wait for home grown. Hope I have better luck this year. Makes me hungry just thinking about them.

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

dreamjourney - well, usually the seeds are separated from the tomato, dried then planted (although I have never done that). This is unusual that some many, while inside, were germinating.

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

I've seen this several times. I also found that most of these weren't very tasty - they were pretty bitter unless I removed all the seeds and pulp. Yecchhh!!

To prepare tomato seeds you've removed from a tomato, put the seeds in a sieve and wash them under cold water. Next, put them in a small clear jar with a little water. Put the jar on a windowsill where it can get bright light (not full sun). In a few days the mixture will start to ferment and the gel around the seeds will break down. Once all the gel is broken down, pour the mixture into a sieve again and wash all the gunk off the seeds. Put the seeds on a paper towel and pat them dry, then put the seeds on a dry paper towel to finish drying off. Once dry they can be stored for planting in the spring.

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Very cool. Thanks for the lesson, Faeden!

Victorville, CA(Zone 8b)

Wow! I had no idea seeds would sprout like that! How crazy!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.