Hummingbird nest

Battle Ground, WA(Zone 8b)

While trimming up my Trumpet Creeper this evening, I discovered this hummingbird nest, complete with 2 eggs. I don't know which of the several species of hummers that frequent our yard built this, but I'll be keeping a lookout on it to find out. Quite intricate construction, too -- she did a nice job on it.

Thumbnail by weatherguesser
San Diego, CA

So cute!

Turns out to be a Rufous hummingbird. Here she is on the nest. Sorry for the picture quality; it was taken through a window and blown up to see the bird.

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Very neat, weatherguesser! I was watching one nest earlier this year, but mom abandoned it before the babies hatched.

The babies have hatched! Mom has to leave the nest frequently to eat so she can feed them.

Awesome!

(Pegi) Norwalk, CA(Zone 10b)

I'm not having any luck with humming birds coming to the feeder. I'm going to fill it up again and see if this time this will notice it. I've got it hanging on a big sheperd hood, maybe I should move it to a better location.

We don't even have a feeder. The hummers love our Fuchsias and Bottle Brush, and the Fuchsias, in particular, are in full bloom right now. We also have a big urn fountain where they like to "take the waters".

So far Mom and the kids are doing okay, even though it's been cool and windy with occasional little rain showers today. Mom gets a bit more time away from the nest now, as the fledglings seem to keep each other warm enough. We do see Mom perched on the edge of the nest occasionally, apparently feeding the youngins. They're supposed to leave the nest about 3 weeks after hatching, so we have about 2 more weeks to watch them.

Ramona, CA(Zone 9b)

Very exciting. We have loads of hummers, but no nests. More pictures please...

Samigal - maybe moving it would help. My feeder stayed empty for 6-8 months. We finally filled it last week and they were feeding within an hour. Not sure what kind of locations are best, but mine is located under the overhang of the house next to a window.

I should try to keep the feeder in some shade, right? Right now I have the shepherd hook in the sun, guess I should find a better spot. If I put it by my office window where it is shady part of the day I could enjoy seeing them come to feed too.

Ramona, CA(Zone 9b)

Mine is in the shade until about 2 pm, then sun the rest of the day. The use it all day, so it doesn't seem like the sun bothers them. We don't put any color in - just mix sugar and water.

Well, I went ahead and bought a large box of humming bird necter a while back so will have to use that up. Then I'll go to the sugar and water. Going to keep on trying to make them come my way. Maybe it is location, location,location. LOL

TLeaves,

Here are the babies at about 12 days after hatching....

Carlsbad, CA(Zone 10b)

Great nest. It looks well built and large - must be an experienced mother. Brings back great memories of when we had a hummer nest on a tree branch that could only be seen standing about four rungs up a ladder. So we kept a ladder, with binoculars on top, set up in the living room for the duration. We could climb up and down without spooking the mother and it was so fun watching them develop and then to luckily be there when one of them took it's first flight. Enjoy your gift from nature!

The younguns are getting more active now. Their eyes have been open for a couple of days, and this morning I was watching them preen each other in the nest. It almost looked like they were having a head-butting contest at first, since they were both trying to do it at the same time. Then they settled down and took turns; worked much better. We only see mom on occasions now -- just long enough to stop by and feed the kids. They're fledging out nicely, and next weekend should be ready to leave the nest.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I was in Washington State for the last two weeks. loved the cool weather and rain. Alos loved the rodies, azaleas and hydrangeas. Never seen so much water everywhere in my whole 68 years. Need to determine how to get some down this way.

When I returned yesterday I noticed the tale tale signs of a hummingbird nest high up. Little poop all over the entry by the front door. To high up to see anything.

Thanks for the photos. Sharon

The kids have flown! I went out to check on them today, and both of them flew away as I approached. So we're (literally, this time) empty-nesters again. Happy, though, that the young ones made it to this point, and flew like they knew how.

Awesome! I got to see one baby fledge several years ago, and it was a thrilling experience :-)

Ramona, CA(Zone 9b)

The baby pic was awesome. How quickly they grew. Thanks for the pic's and sharing your experience with us!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.