Who Am I

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ok...I'll put this over on the ID forum but thought some of you plant gurus might help a sista out....
PLANT #1:
Looks like a fern but tall...like over 5 1/2 feet tall - stem speckled w/burgundy spots here and there - growing in a huge mass in full sun.
Here's photo 1

Thumbnail by Chantell
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

photo 2 - of stalk/stem

Thumbnail by Chantell
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

photo 3 - of entire tribe

Thumbnail by Chantell
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

PLANT 2:
Very large leaves (see dandelion for size ref) - grows low to the ground in a lettuce-like cluster - also in full sun - pretty red veins

Thumbnail by Chantell
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Plant 2 - pic 2
Closer shot of leaf

Thumbnail by Chantell
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

PLANT 3
Cute little one - leaves comparable in size to top of thumb - when bruised has an 'herby' type scent but not one that I recognize. Maybe a foot to 2 tall...also in full sun

Thumbnail by Chantell
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Plant 3 - pic 2
Closer shot of leaf

Thumbnail by Chantell
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

oopss Plant 2 - pic 2...let try that leaf shot again...sheesh

Thumbnail by Chantell
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Not sure what kind of weeds they are, but they ARE weeds! :-)

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

#1 not sure
#2 Broad Leaved Dock
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/32113/
#3 looks like Nepeta(cat mint) or Monarda(BeeBalm)

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Are they in 'wild' places? If number one could be a cu;ltivated thing I'll take a wild stab with Angelica??

Yes to Dock- can make a rather striking tall seed spike.

3- I feel sure I've seen it but can't name it or place it- Nepeta, Monarda certainly in the ballpark at least

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

They're in a lg yard that's a bit over grown. Yes Bec re weeds but you see my friend THATS exactly what is used to make tinctures etc. Thanks all - just trying to see if it's something I could harvest and use. #3 looked familiar to me as well but I couldn't figure it out

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Check and see if #1 has a hollow stem. I'm pretty sure its Conium maculatum, Poison Hemlock, good for ridding the neighborhood of annoying philosophers. Agree #2 is Broad-Leaved Dock. Assume #3 has a square stem, thus likely in the mint family. Could be about 100 things, but I don't think Nepeta or Monarda are top suspects. Reminds me of Wood Sage, American Germander - Teucrium canadense. Should bloom in a few weeks and resolve the ID.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

GT - you rock....thank you SO much!!

about Conium
http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/plants/conium.html

greenthumb, do you know of a wild plant that would be very similar to hemlock but have YELLOW bloom? I grew it once from gathered seed but after seeing the similarity to poison-hemlock, I figured I better not take any chances.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Sally, I can't think of anything at this time except some Tansy species. There is a plant with coarser foliage and yellow flowers that grows to about 6 feet and is found along streams in rural areas, but I can't pull the name out of my brain.

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Hmmmmmm - are ya planning on feeding me any of these concoctions made from weeds? When I thinks of usage for 'weeds' I immediately regress...^_^

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

GT - ok...urgent question from owners of home - what can be used naturally (if possible) to rid that area of the Poison Hemlock - they're a tad anxious now given dogs and children play out there

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Chantell, tried to post this around noon today but I see it didn't go thru. Here's what a friend and I did to remove a poison hemlock plant from driveway area:

Wore long sleeves and washable gloves and some eye protection
Carefully clipped back flowering heads, branches, stems, etc and placed in large plastic bag.
Dug out as much root as possible....surprisingly large and deep.
Removed as much of the soil the plant grew in as possible
Burned contents of plastic bag, roots and soil so as to keep toxicity from being recycled in some form. Buried residue/ash.
Filled in holes with fresh soil and covered with a good piece of sod as area was semilawn.
Surveyed several times for any other poison hemlock plants in yard or nearby. Since plant is biennial, looked for any "basal rosettes" that would become this year's blooming plant. Looked again this week but haven't found any more.

Here's a link for ID http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/weeds/photos/poison_hemlock2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/weeds/plants/poison_hemlock.htm&h=300&w=400&sz=58&tbnid=fGP59bIwBdczcM:&tbnh=93&tbnw=124&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dpoison%2Bhemlock%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=poison+hemlock&usg=__IBsNKdre38GMjRxVd4Ikz9l1-xE=&sa=X&ei=GxLMTYWOJ4LlrAeknK2HBA&ved=0CCMQ9QEwBQ

Comments: The ancient Athenians used the juices of this plant to execute their prisoners, including Socrates during 399 B.C. Death is caused by respiratory arrest and heart failure. Poison Hemlock is a tall and imposing plant that appears to be increasingly common. Many people walk past this species without even realizing what it is. Because there are many members of the Carrot family with small white flowers, it can be somewhat difficult to correctly identify this plant. Poison Hemlock has the following key features: 1) it is often tall-growing, 1) the foliage is at least double pinnate and fern-like in appearance, 2) the foliage has a bitter rank odor, especially when it is bruised, 3) the hairless stems have purple spots, 4) there are undivided bracts at the base of the compound umbel and undivided bractlets at the base of the umbellets, and 5) the small leaflets are pinnately cleft or dentate. Other members of the Carrot family lack one or more of these key features.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

lol Chantell My post above seems so ominous!!! Basically, get rid of the plant and all its parts being careful not to drip any of its toxic juices on grass, or anything a kid or dog might ingest. I'm glad you are doing this removal now before it flowers and seed heads form.

I wish you and neighbors well.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

lol Chantell My post above seems so ominous!!! Basically, get rid of the plant and all its parts being careful not to drip any of its toxic juices on grass, or anything a kid or dog might ingest. I'm glad you are doing this removal now before it flowers and seed heads form.

I wish you and neighbors well.

Oops, just found this http://gardening.wsu.edu/column/05-23-99.htm
Cautions about burning plant. DO NOT BREATHE SMOKE!!

Send it to the dump with the other ten thousand pounds of nasty stuff that week. It ain't radioactive !!

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

The description of the Hemloc and it's uses is indeed ominous!

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Sally, I guess that's why I never get "free mulch" from our county...never know where it's been or what's in it!!

Wild parsnip is similar to poison hemlock and has yellow flowers.http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/icm/2007/7-9/poison.html

Toxins in poison hemlock remain active in all plant parts of dead plant for up to three years.

Really, I know my outgoing yard waste has the things I want OUT and don't want lingering in the compost. - bad seeds, ivy etc.
THX for the parsnip suggestion.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.