Wasps in the greenhouse!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm having a bad issue with wasps. I have a dozen in the greenhouse on any given day. They can build nests in a day or two. Hubby removed 2 last night.

I can't spray any kind of wasp killer in there. I accidentally sprayed hanging baskets several years ago and watched them turn black so I know better.

Lucky me, I'm allergic to wasps, bees and flies so I can't just work in there with them. I could unknowingly tick them off.

Last year, we tried the inverted pop bottle lid with different things and caught a few bugs and none were wasps.

I've found wasps to be the biggest issue with my Rion greenhouse. All those nice little channels and tubes make great places for nests! When I took my smaller ones down in the fall, they were full of nests and full of wasps.

Anyone have any ideas?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I use a natural wasp killer made with clove oil--I've used it in my greenhouse (similar problem!) and I'm sure some spray has got on the plants but I haven't seen any ill effects. All my plants are on the ground or on shelves though so they wouldn't have got hit with as much spray as a hanging basket might. I can't remember the brand but can post back tonight when I get home (I think it was a natural version of Raid but I'm not positive) Even with the clove oil I'd try to spray in the morning or evening when the sun's not on the plants since any oil could potentially burn in the sun.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Sorry I didn't thank you for your input ecrane! Been trying to keep up the pace. LOL

I've been shooting them down with the hose on jet then hitting them with Raid or my shoe if I can't spray. Just took out two more nests with queens yesterday. My husband got quite a few in the evenings. They have not been too much of a problem since we've stayed on top of it.

I replaced a roof panel last night with a window vent and was a little afraid I'd have to leap from the ladder. I was shocked when none came after me.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I did look at my bottle of stuff--of course I'm at work now and don't remember the name again, but I think it was Earth Smart? or Eco Smart? It wasn't Raid. The actives are cinnamon oil and I think peppermint oil not clove, although I think I'd seen another brand of natural wasp killer that had clove oil. It smells really nice, not toxic like regular wasp killer and it works great.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Anything smelling better than me in the greenhouse would be a good thing. LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.