Who grows wildflower?

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Things do seem very full and lush right now, even though it's early. We have had a lot of rain here, which helps things grow better than harsh sun and drought.

Franklin, TN

Rebeccatowoc - Same here in Franklin. Everything is WAY ahead of schedule. The annuals I planted last year (mine almost always return) usually don't appear until mid July. They've been in a month - same for unplanted tomato, pepper, melons. It had to be the heat wave we had in May. I've got peppers & eggplants growing (from seed) already. My Crepe Myrtle even began blossoming 3 weeks early!

Good luck the rest of the year. Hope the rain comes. The problem is no hurricanes - the usual way we get rain.

Stewart, TN

To tell the truth, it gives me a bit of the creeps to have things so off schedule. Doesn't seem "natural." But I gotta remind myself how much variation is "natural."

Saraland, AL(Zone 8b)

Scarlet sage with bee:

Thumbnail by JCalhoun
Saraland, AL(Zone 8b)

Purple cone flower:

Thumbnail by JCalhoun
Saraland, AL(Zone 8b)

More coneflower.

Thumbnail by JCalhoun
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Your coneflowers are pretty - mine got hit this year with "aster yellows" (?!) which I had never heard of before. I understand that t is a virus (?!) spread by leafhoppers.

Had to pull several out and probably more than that. :/

A.

Saraland, AL(Zone 8b)

Thanks.

I have never heard of aster yellows either. What are the symptoms?

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Weird puffy growth out of the center of the flowers, eventually turns black. Makes a single coneflower like yours looks sort of frilly with "petals" coming out of the cone in the center. Some of mine actually had green leaf like growth out of the center of the cone. Hard to describe, but yours look very "normal."

I will miss mine. I had several large "stands" of them in different parts of my yard and will have to remove them all I guess. :/

Saraland, AL(Zone 8b)

Interesting.

I'll keep a look out for it.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Buds on my giant New England Aster have been forming and 3 or 4 finally popped open today! It's one of my very favorite plants and it's right next to a gorgeous goldenrod 'fireworks' which has to be one of the prettiest plants I've ever seen. Can't wait to get some snaps of them together this year! :)

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Check out my weeds! Especially the weeping "lady's thumb" flowers. :)

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq
Saraland, AL(Zone 8b)

Nice weeds, LOL!

Acton, TN(Zone 7a)

Time to plant poppies! Here are the cosmos, zinnias, coreopsis and marigolds before the frost . . . .

Thumbnail by jozeeben
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

WOWeee! Your cosmos are gorgeous. :)

We had hard frost 2x this last week and mine are pretty much finished. Thanks for sharing this happy picture.

A.

Stewart, TN

What a lovely display?

What kind of poppies are you doing? I've tried 3 years in a row and no luck, and I'm in TN, too!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Rebecca - I've had the same complaint and many DGrs have told me that they sow the seed in the winter for spring. I haven't tried that yet, but I have always been disappointed at not being able to grow the orange California poppy. :/

Edited to say - has anyone else grown pot marigold/calendula? They have bloomed all winter here for 3 years in a row!!!

This message was edited Dec 6, 2011 7:36 PM

Saraland, AL(Zone 8b)

I had several nice California poppies this year. I think I spread the seeds in February but I can't say for sure.

Saraland, AL(Zone 8b)

Here are a few from this morning:

I have Carolina jessamine and coral honeysuckle interwoven on the old iron handrail on my front porch.

Thumbnail by JCalhoun Thumbnail by JCalhoun Thumbnail by JCalhoun
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

those are pretty together

Saraland, AL(Zone 8b)

Thanks. It definitely adds some color to the front porch.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

That is a nice combination.............. does it just bloom in the spring? or most of the summer?
very pretty!

Saraland, AL(Zone 8b)

gen;

The jessamine blooms only on late winter/early spring. The coral honeysuckle has been continually blooming since last June. I planted it this time last year.

Both are evergreen but don't grow much in cold weather.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.