Roadrunner Meet

Dahlonega, GA

Whoopee , we in Ga will get to meet R R for a bite to eat and lots of talk .

Dahlonega, GA

However you want to get to Chattanooga ,then I'd take I-75 right on through Atlanta and pick up I-20 east to Aug. If you don't want to fight the traffic , I'd take 285 east around the eastern side but it's further and still a lot of traffic .
All we have to do is find out when you're coming through and see if we can co ordinate our time and pick a place . Most everyone works, so a weekend is probably best for most of us here . Eufaula has one weekend a month that she isn't home . It would be a good excuse for us to see her again too .
Wholyhosta can ride with us , in that case , we won't be spending the night with Eufaula .
She took us to Eagle the last time we was there . Fantastic view from the top .

This message was edited May 9, 2011 1:46 PM

Crossville, TN

Looking at my map...you tell me where the most central place for ya'll would be on my route and I will get DS to fix a time frame for that point.

PS...As most of you know...I don't like rice...so that lets out most Oriental resturants. Let's pick a quiet place so we can talk...or we can bring our picnic lunch and meet in a park...that was the original intent for me and Grannylois that turned into the first DG RU!!

Jo

Crossville, TN

I forgot to mention that I can make it on a Saturday...on my return trip to TN...Jo

Dahlonega, GA

Somewhere close to Eufaula would be fine for me and if I have riders it won't put them out . Laurel is in Atlanta , so she might be able to make it also . Eufaula knows that area , I don't . We'll check into it more . Picnic is good and there is always K F C , and drink coolers . Easy and cheap . Whatever , just thinking .

Dahlonega, GA

Sat will probably work for us all . If eufaula comes up here , You will pass within 60 miles . It's just a matter of getting us all in one place . .You don't need to go off your route , we can come to you .

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

You would be coming in to Atlanta not far from me. I know some restaurants in the area. I'd like to try to and make it. The best location for you is going to be the Cumberland Pkwy area or one of the exits just south. There is a Sweet Tomatoes there that's got a great all-you-care to eat menu. Here's the site http://www.souplantation.com/locations/restaurant.aspx?store_id=58&store_name=Barrett and the closest location would be Barret Pkwy. I am inside the Perimeter which would be easier for Sally to get to and there are lots of places here including a Sweet Tomatoes Perimeter location. I'd offer to host but I've been called for a jury trial and don't know what my week is going to look like. In fact, don't know what the weekend will look like either.
L

I don't know what's with my brain. I'm getting ready for a trip and very distracted. I forgot to add the link.

This message was edited May 9, 2011 4:58 PM

Dahlonega, GA

I can't get my puter to pick up the links . Oh well , My neighbor will be here this week and fix it for me . It doesn't have the icon for sound either . Wonder what happened . Fun to watch the videos and read lips . LOL

Dahlonega, GA

Just want to say , anybody that wants to get in on meeting Roadrunner is welcome to join in . Don't need an invite to this , it's an open Party . I , for one , will be thrilled . She has contributed so much to D G , it will be an honer . (How's that for sucking up ? ) LOL
I know , she's reading this thread , but the point is , it's an opportunity for us all to get together and show what Georgia hospitality really is .

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

do we have a time fixed yet? this Saturday? next Saturday?

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Whoopie.....Just found out! WHEN when When!!!!!!! Im all for it! NO Inside Perimeter for me PLEASE! Atlanta driving is a killer! anywhere on I-20 is good , east of 285!
I hope its not on the 21 of this month!

Dahlonega, GA

Ster , she's talking about the 4th of June . If we can do this , we can refine it as to time and place .
I want to check and make sure the roadside rest is open east of Atlanta , where we have tables and restrooms . We can bring a dish . Don't know how long they have to visit but it's a little more convenient there for the masses, than trying to find some where else . That's just my opinion. We can meet for an hour or several , just depends on what her schedule is . Lots of talking and laughing . Oh yes , eating .

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

OOh ...I Know ..I Know!! Why not meet just off I-20 at Hard labor Creek State Park! Rest Rooms, tables, SHADE trees! I believe the exit # is 105! It is located West right after Covington going towards Madison .

Crossville, TN

WOW!! You Georgia Peaches mover fast...If we leave Martinez on Sat. Morning June 4th...how long will it take to drive to the meeting place...we can linger for 2 or 3 hours as the complete drive from GA to TN is about 5 hours...DS drives rather fast....LOL We will have my granddog, Scout, with us...he is a veteran of many DG RU's and Melody's sweet Border collie is in LOVE with him.

I'll have a GPS with me so we should not get too lost...every roadrunner should have one!! JO

Dahlonega, GA

OOfie , that sounds just about what all us heathens want , the great outdoors . Let's try to set it up for there . I can live without air conditioning one day of my life .
Fur pets welcome . It should be no more than two hrs from Augusta . Just right for a potty break for the pooches .They have changed all the mile markers since I got this atlas but Eufaula can give good directions .
I'll have the longest drive , and maybe riders . I can manage , D H is my chauffeur

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Roadrunner its an hour and 45 minutes from Martinez, a straight shot west on I-20. Exit is 105.
The park has a $5.00 per car parking fee. The picnic areas are clean and restroom accessible. We even have the choice of tables on the Lake if we want. So bring your suits if you dare!! LOL!
Sally Im going to see if it is possible for me to get my vacation that week, so you might have a tag-a-long for the weekend at least!

Crossville, TN

It would cost you more than the $5.00 parking fee to see me in a bathing suit!!! Not a pretty sight.

If I can borrow my cousins oven...and she gives it up to me easily....I will try to bring my FAMOUS Sopapilla Cheese Cake....Jo

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I regret missing a sopapilla cheesecake but alas, I must. Aside from my tenuous situation with jury duty it would take me several hours to traverse the city and get to Hard Labor Creek. SO used to play golf there when we lived on the norteast side of the city and it took an hour and a half. We are now on the northwest side. Though I'm not the furthest by miles I'm in the city proper and have to deal with traffic regardless of the day. Hard Labor Creek is a beautiful site to meet. I hope a lot of folks show up. Hopefully we get to see each other another day, Jo.
Laurel

Crossville, TN

I think I will post this in the RU at a glance forum...calling it.....ready for this??

Roadrunner's Roadside Round Up

Sorry you can't make it Maypop. Jo

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Love it! We are going to have a First!!!!! The r-r-r-Round-up. Georgia Style! Maybe you could have a little round-up at each step of the way and home again! One for each state!
I can see it now ...Here comes the Road-Runner Calvacade, and everyone standing along side the road Waving!!!!
Sorry you cant make it Laurel, we will miss you! When I see that Hard Labor Creek Cowpasture Pool course and all those meanies smacking those poor Golf eggies around I will think of you! LOL! All kidding aside , you are right , the golf course is beautiful.
Oh Jo , Sopapilla Cheeeeeeesecake!!! Now that is definitely worth my looking into reserving a picnic shelter! Which I will do this weekend while Im at a Mountain Dulcimer class at the park!
So what time should we say that the r-r-r-Round-up will commence? ....and How many people are we so far!

Crossville, TN

I don't think we'll need a shelter for the few of us...since I haven't seen rain is so long that if we should have a shower it would be a blessing. OH...I guess ya'll have certainly had enough of the wet stuff. Jo

Lula, GA

Well, looks like I won't be making it to Roadrunner's RU either. I thought it might be closer to home, like Atlanta.
It sounds like a lovely setting to meet up at, and meet for the first time or see old friends. I know y'all are gonna have a ball!!!!

~Brenda

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

ooh, not me either - Hard Labor Creek is too stiff a drive for me - but ya'll have fun!

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Brenda, Lula is about the same distance from both. Aww come on!
Sterhill, HLCreek State Park is only a 30 minute drive on I-20 from the Outer 285. It only takes me 1 and a half hours to drive from Covington , just west of the park, to Temple on I-20 , all the way on the west edge of Georgia!

If this is going to be a problem for most of you we can change the meeting area, Im the only one on this side and I can meet Jo anyplace between Martinez and her getting to 285 for the trip to Tenn. She can stop in Madison for a rest break and we can say Howdy and then she can go on to Atlanta, to see you guys! Hows that!

Crossville, TN

Oh Please Do!! Jo

Lula, GA

Eufaula, it is a little closer to Atlanta from Gainesville, and I usually stick to the highway. Please do not feel any plans have to change.
I did look at the route thru Athens, and it is doable. Perhaps I can persuade my DIL Sandy to go with me and we can check out some nurseries in the area either coming or going- it has been years since we've done what used to be an annual pilgrimage to Watkinsville, and the general area, to visit the nurseries.
I will let you know. I was informed last night (hubby) that we are expecting family from Mexico the first week in June. So........................ we will see.

~Brenda

Dahlonega, GA

My computer has been down for a transfer to laptop the last coupla days andI've been chomping at the bit to get back on .
Wholy , you and Sandy are welcome to ride with D H and me .Could meet you in Gainsville .Let me know and we can drive the van.Old but dependable .
Whatever you people come up with is fine with me , I plan on being there .
Ster, Come on , haven't met you either .
Cedar , where are you ?

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Well Hey there Digger! I thought we had lost you somewhere! LOL! Tried to call but that didnt work either! Talked to your Cuz and he told me what was going on so I didnt worry ,knew yu'd be here soon!
Im a go wherever we decide! The only reason I thought of the Park was because I thought it would be more convenient if there were several of us. But we will definitely make a plan that works for everybody. It just didnt seem to me that there were that many places off I-20 in Atlanta, Conyers or Covington for that fact, that were that easy to get to with out a lot of confusion. A quick get together with pick-nic attitude sounds great.
We will have a better idea I think whenever Jo can give us a better idea of her time frame too! We dont want a rushed Road Runner or Roadside Round-up!

Dahlonega, GA

Having done this before when it was me doing the traveling , it would be easier for them to just pull off and not have to hunt the destination .I hope we settle on the park , but I'm flexible . I don't think a Waffle House would work , too much laughing and noise . I'd hate to be asked to leave .Also , they will have the pooches and they can't stay in the car , way too hot , 'sides , I get to pet them if they are out on leashes .

Lula, GA

Sally, that is a plan! Then we can all go and we can share the expense of driving, no small thing right now- gas is $4.02 here!!! And visit on the way!
Thanks so much for the offer- get to meet Jo and see Eufaula!!! You................. I'll see in Gainesville!!! LOL!
I will dmail you my contact info!

~Brenda

Crossville, TN

When ya'll set the time and place...I will figure out what time to leave my cousin's home in Martinez in o9rder to meet up with ya'll there...Have GPS will travel.

How about we just bring deli sandwich makings....we 3 are partial to Turkey, Scout will eat anything you have in your hand if he can reach it...LOL ...maybe some deli tater salad....and a drink. The deli should give you plates, and plastic forks and napkins.

Some one send me a cell phone number and I will give them mine...in case of delays.

Here is a picture of my GDog, Scout...The people he owns kayak and Keith made him his own boat ...they drag him behind them....until he gets tired of being in the back and he will jump overboard and drag his tow rope in his mouth and pass the slow pokes...LOL Jo

Thumbnail by roadrunner
Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Okay its a Go! Hard Labor Creek State park it is! Jo, the time is up to you girl. We will all be there when the time comes.
Sandwiches and pic-nic goodies sounds great! We can all bring enough of what we like to have a great spread! If everyone ices down their own bottled or canned drinks before leaving from home, we want have to worry with cups and extra ice.. No big deal just nessessities. I can manage enough plastic utensils,paper towels and plates.
Talked with the Park and they have several picnic areas with tables and toilets close by.
Oh this is getting exciting! I cant wait to meet Jo and see You all again!

Dahlonega, GA

Boy , we'r cross posting like mad and the phones ringing and the d mails and phone numbers are flying . Phewww, I'm tard . Good , I think we have Brenda, me , lynn ,maybe Sandy our DH's, in-laws , Out-laws and a good time had by all.RR, her clan , I'm counting seven to ten . Can't wait .

Crossville, TN

I am going to figure 2 hours from Martinez until RRRRU...so I will leave at 8:30 AM....getting us to the RU about 10:30...if I am early, I will look at something that I don't have...GRASS!! I will bring my bottle of pop...Root Beer!!

OH! Just so you recognize me...I will have my DG T-Shirt on. Jo

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/557555/

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

This is going to be a hoot! I am going to check it all out this Saturday and I will take photos. We will get the best pic-nic area available no matter what!
I will be at the park by 9:30 and prepare a route and a way for everyone to find each other! Cell phones the best way.
OK its going to be a round up, sooooooo... lets say that everyone bring one some little something to trade.......Hmmmmmm should we say a garden treasure, art object, trash to treasure find, craft project....Gourd??? This will be our own little White elephant party!
Lets laugh and have fun!

Crossville, TN

OK You're on!! Hmmmm now what can I bring that the airlines won't objejct too?? Jo

Dahlonega, GA

OOOPs, forgot about the airlines , oh well , re- figger.
Lynn, maybe since you're there early , you can tie a balloon on your car ?
We'll pick up Wholly as early as possible and try to get there before R R .I'll see her next Fri . and get it together then.

Crossville, TN

Don't worry...I can bring SOMETHING....I can pick it up in TN....or make it before I leave home. Jo

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Nothing elaborate just something to "share".

Dahlonega, GA

Sop cheesecake sounds good to me . You're the guest , don't bring anything . or maybe chocolate chip cookies . LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.