Tree Cozies?

Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

Just curious . . . what do you think of wrapping a tree in a knitted tree cozy as "nature art"? That is one of the exhibits at Chicago's Mortan Arboretum. Check out the story and picture at : http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20110426/news/704269963/

Not giving my opinion just yet. Just want to know what the folks on this forum think of it.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Silly. And has the potential to make things easier for some pests and diseases, and trap birds if their feet get tangled in the fabric.

And if you're a visiting botanist, it is impossible to study the bark characteristics.

Overall: bad idea.

Resin

Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Resin - my feelings are a bit stronger, only because this is an arboretum for God's sakes!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm not a fan either--I think it looks stupid. I'm all for art in the garden, but not that way!

Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

Amen, ecrane!

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I'll offer up a different opinion. I like it.
I don't think it's sacrilegious to have art in a botanical garden.
These are usually short-term 'installations', so I don't see lingering harm.
Here's an image from a Missouri Botanical Garden installation by Dale Chihuly 5 yr ago.
I still remember how beautiful it was. My only photo doesn't do it justice.
But these bright blue glass 'poles' intermingling with the bamboo were striking.

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't think anyone was objecting to art in botanical gardens in general, the negative opinions were for the tree cozies specifically. I for one love Chihuly's art and most other art displays that I've seen in gardens.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

How do you like these? Lots of painted trees have been planted in Chicago. Some of the quite remarkable.

Thumbnail by bacarney
Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

Weerobin, I love art in the garden. Chihuly did an installation here, too, and it was magnificant!

But, when the "art" invades the living members of the garden by disrupting a plant's life systems, I think we've crossed a line to exploitation. The paint has to harm the trees! Plants have respiration systems, they have circulation systems - yarn and paint cannot be good. Just as you and I would not respond well to being pruned if we got too tall or rangy, a plant will not respond well to being covered in whatever crazy thing we contrive.

And, they are beautiful in their natural physical state. Chihuly had the right idea by justaposing pieces among the plants to enhance beauty. Changing the plant is different.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Re: multi-colored tree cozy. Hideous!

Sioux City, IA(Zone 4b)

I just happened to see this thread and thought I would share the hideous sculpture that "graced" the lawn of the art center here for 2 years.

Edited to say it was called "Twigamore".

This message was edited May 9, 2011 8:12 AM

Thumbnail by merigold
Sioux City, IA(Zone 4b)

Here is the sad sight as it "weathered".

Thumbnail by merigold
Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

A sad sight it is.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Don't throw stones....but I like it....and at least it's not part of an arboretum.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I don't like the painted trees either, or the cozy tree.
Atlanta Arboretum 2007

Thumbnail by sallyg
Sioux City, IA(Zone 4b)

The sad part about "Twigamore" was that the first stage of the process was to plant live trees. They were tall and elegant standing there. They appeared unusual to the area, and i thought "that" was the sculpture!

While I find the painted trees and even the "cozy" trees visually intersting i agree about it being a bit off base.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

They killed the trees to make it? What kind of trees? That's a whole 'nother thing.

Sioux City, IA(Zone 4b)

After searching I can only find that Elm, Maple, and Willow saplings were used. Not unusual as I thought...but they appeared so tall, hmm.

I found that after the installment was removed some of the sticks were "re-purposed" by another artist to make chairs...oh brother...

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quote from merigold :
Here is the sad sight as it "weathered".

What's really surprising is that no kid ever stuck a match in it!

Resin

Sioux City, IA(Zone 4b)

Perish the thought, my husband is a fire fighter!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.