Dietes iridioides (African Iris)

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

This one has just finished blooming in the greenhouse. When we were in Fla about 6 years ago, I dug a few up blooming in the woods at my husband's Aunt & Uncle's house at Lakeland. They are such a pretty iris.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer

Terrific!! As you were successful at transplanting from the wild, could you please tell me or dmail me any helpful info in thr best ''help'' for a iris bulb during transplant? I am being forced to move myself (and garden) by city reclamation of lands and so my Irises are near bloooming soon, some have bloomed. Any suggestions to help? One of my irises are similar to the one you posted a photo of, but more common, and I have some bearded Yellow ones as well.
thanks a ton,
Darren
fernman23

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Darren, Dig them up in a clump, wrap in wet newspaper & put in a plastic bag. Keep them moist (do not let them dry out) and plant as soon as you arrive at your new place. I just put in 4 clumps today. Hope this helps. Judy.

Great Thanks!!!! that does help a TON. We are getting a cool break tomorrow to a warm end later this week, so that should help with having to water extra heavy to get the plants resettled, right? I always worry bout rot....lol, But do you think I should get them EXTRA sun after the transplant?? Or what they are used to? What would your instincts/knowledge say to that part??? Thanks i SO appreciate the help!!!
Warm Regards
Darren
fernman23

Thumbnail by
Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Well I can't speak for Nevada plants but our Pa. Iris love sun. Right now, I have a bunch of them I bought at a yard sale planted in a pot, waiting for us to get to Va. and give them to a fellow gardener. Now that I mentioned that, I think it would be much better for you to pot your irises up rather than put in wet newspaper. They will grow just fine in a pot until you are ready to move them. They make a liquid you can mix with water to prevent transplant shock. I would check that out & see if it mentions Iris on the container. I would love to do a swap, a division of mine for one of yours cause I don't have that one with the light blue & yellow. LMK & thanks. Judy

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

At least, if you pot them up, you can put them in partial sun until they get used to being in the pot and then plant t hem. What is the scientific name for your Iris? Thanks. J

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Iris species x hollandica?

Sorry to have so disappered buy the move for me was ferocious rough and i was helping my Mom at 78 move too up the street, shes settled in now, to get in the ground her Irises and Roses, LOL! Soooooooooo......to answer on species names~
I know them as a Dutch Frans Hal, or japanese butterfly, or ?mittsy you see the pic you could be right as Holland is like, Dutch :) but, They Bloomed before I moved! SO now they are in pots, wit slightly browned leaves from the heat here and some shock I imagine; SO many of my bulbs besides the Irises are hiding , callas are almost invisible, And a Daylily will laugh at me as I walk by, but the Irises are tall and proud. My Twelve Apostles (?)Walking Apostles(....sorry been a Long day) is looking from its bottom growth leaves it may bloom, so i am putting off getting it in the ground til after a few weeks more, Thanks again for the help and chat you all have The BEST Summer possible!!!!
:D

Thumbnail by

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.