May Weather. Will it ever be spring ?

(Zone 7a)

BP, you're in the same zone as I am and Japanese maples do okay here. I have one in a pot getting more beautiful every year. Eight years now.

Londerzeel, Belgium

It's still hot in tropical Belgium, but the sky is full with ice crystals ^^

This message was edited May 7, 2011 8:19 PM

Thumbnail by Cumulus79
Londerzeel, Belgium

still the hottest place of Europe after all those weeks. It has been freezing here last week though with temperatures dropping to 18F :s

Thumbnail by Cumulus79
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Hot and humid today but no one is complaining. lol. Reached 80s with lots of sunshine and very little wind.

My next door neighbors decided to be rude and ride their motorbike into our yard several times today. They only came just a few feet into the yard but that was more than enough. So I put a stop to it by going out there and planting a new butterfly bush and a couple cannas on the border. They immediately parked the bike. LOL!! Nothing like gardening to put a stop to unwanted intrusions!! I even put cardboard around my plants to make sure they didn't run over them tonight. Tomorrow I'm getting a bag of mulch to put around them.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Roswell, NM(Zone 6a)

9% humidity, no rain in sight. Sunny and hot, with a high near 99. They say it will be "breezy" which translates to 35 mph winds; 45 tomorrow.
Ric- so jealous of your "cute" little drought!
Cumulus - Beautiful picture! I've never heard of ice crystals in the sky. Our moisture is absorbed into the atmosphere before we ever get it!
pepper - Love those hostas!! Beautiful. Is that on the north side? I had to put up a 6 ft. wooden fence; a butterfly bush is much prettier!
Celia - Beautiful back yard and you surely do know your yuccas!
Bernie - can't wait to see a pic of your onions!
bp- any pictures of your peonies?
Even tho we've had such extreme weather, my chinese cabbage seems to love it!

Thumbnail by PrissyJo
Roswell, NM(Zone 6a)

adinamiti - what's happening in romania?

peas are producing well, too, in fact it's getting too hot now so they'll quit, but I actually put out my tomatoes, peppers, and corn and am going to have to put my shade cloth back up; when it's 98 in the shade, it's too hot for me to go out into the this bright sun.

My water bill is already up to $71!

Thumbnail by PrissyJo
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

50°/74°
A mix of clouds and sun during the morning will give way to cloudy skies this afternoon. High 74F. Winds E at 10 to 20 mph.

Happy Mother's Day!

Celia, I'm more zone 5A and haven't seen anyone with a Japanese Maple around here. I think I'll wait till my neighbor tries one :o) She likes everything I like.

Cumulus, beautiful sundog!! I've never had a rainbow before, just a ring.

Wow, that is too cold for me right now! When are you supposed to warm up?

Pepper, laughing! I hear you on no complaining! We almost got hot here yesterday :o)

I like how you defused the situation and am glad they were noticing. That's not exactly how my North Peony Bed came about, but no one mowed around the post on my side anymore :o) Now you have the reason for more plants or trees!

What a cute little fern at the base of your rose! Was it a suprise?

Prissy Jo, so much wind and so little humidity! It must feel like a furnace.

At least the fence is privacy. Just stick a butterfly bush on your side :o) They don't like a lot of water. My peonies aren't open yet, but the fern peonies are almost ready!

Nice chinese cabbage! No bugs there, LOL! Do you use it in salads or stirfries?

Delicious looking peas too :o) I tried a new one this year, "Caseload." We took down the old fence and put up a new fence this year, after ''Tall Telephone'' went above it and flopped over. I wasn't impressed with those peas anyway.
I hope you have good luck with the rest of the garden.

The boys helped me water my garden yesterday and my radish and spinach are just up, Yayyy!

On the way home we were finding shapes in the clouds. We saw mostly dogs. The youngest saw a cupcake and DH almost saw the ditch, LOL!

The fern is an ostrich fern and I put it there on purpose. lol. I have Golden Showers rose in there too. The lattice is to provide a little privacy from our neighbors. It always seemed like they could see everything we did so we put that up and I put autmn clematis on it and now the rose. It's on the north and west edge of the house.

Well, my neighbors are done coming into the yard. She kept coming back today so my dad went over to wear she was coming in at and told her no more. She said sorry and went back home. Couple relatives came over and said something to my dad and he said same thing. Very polite but very firm. They parked the bike after that.

Weather is hot and humid. Every window in the house is open and it's gonna be hot all week.

Thumbnail by pepper23
(Zone 7a)

Pepper, that's just rude of your neighbors. Glad you could put a stop to it. I would have planted something sharp and pokey.

Thanks, Prissy. I've had to deal with yuccas before and it's not fun. ^_^ When older, they're nearly impossible to remove.

Rain and rain here now. (Sorry, Prissy.) Rain through tomorrow, as well.

We've had B-17 flying overhead all weekend.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

Hi Everyone!!! Finally found my way back and have no idea where I went for so long! Great pics everyone!

The weather is weird everywhere, we got up to the 70's beginning of April, then got back down to the 50's in mid April after a bunch of storms and tons of rain, now we're in the 90's again, and in the upper 80's all week, but by this weekend we're going to be in the mid 70's. I don't get it!

90s here with high humidity. Supposed to be a few degrees hotter tomorrow. It's not spring this week, it's summer. I want spring back!!!

Had a snake come out yesterday and scare me to death. It was right next to the stairs on the deck and at first I thought it was the hose til I realized the hose was to my right. lol. The snake was/is over 4 feet long. Not sure what kind he is since my dad couldn't find him in his book. Thinking bull snake. He's still on the loose and I hope I don't see him again! lol. Go eat rodents out of my sight. lol

Thumbnail by pepper23

Do you have a better pic of it's head? I'd post it on an ID forum here.

This is the only other pic I got. Shortleaf thought it might be a kingsnake and it could be.

Hot and humid but not as bad as it was supposed to get. Strong winds today kept temps in the 80s.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Lewisville, TX(Zone 7b)

Hello folks!! Sorry it's been awhile.. the weather here has been horrendous in a lot of ways! I won't get into all the details... at the end of April we got the end part of that tornado that ripped through the midwest. Our home got minimal damage but my heart goes out to all that got worse!!
We are due for another storm tomorrow.... Texas is all in drought some areas worse that others, so we need the rain, not the hail that we have been getting!
Temps have been record breaking also..we have been getting some days where it's in the 90's & of course the humidity is starting to come back. That's what I hate most!
Hope everyone is well & be safe!!

(Zone 7a)

Oh, Cindy! Glad you're okay! Houses and plants we can replace but not you.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

70°/87° Partly cloudy with scattered thunderstorms, possibly severe. Very warm. High 87F. Winds SSW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

Pepper, are these the same bike riding neighbors? I'd want privacy too!

Isn't that something. It isn't any fun unless you can ride in the neighbor's yard. I've never seen anything like it. Just as well they park it.

We had that hot weather yesterday and will again today. I was right out there tho, doing this and that :o)

Pretty allium!

Celia, I think she was lucky to have anything at all to plant, LOL!

I always wonder if those in the plane have a way of seeing me as I'm photographing them. Nice shot!

Chrissy, I still thought about you and just figured it was one of those "have to walk away from the computer" times. I'm glad you're back!

None of us get it, but we all got it too, LOL!

Ahhh Pepper, that's why we all feel the urgency and hate those cold days for wasting our Spring :o(

ROTFL over the hose!! I'd feel the same way!

Hi Cindylove, I wondered where you might be too :o)

I'll bet that was so scary! I hope the house can be quickly and easily fixed.

I hope your next storms just bring the rain. I hate drought!

I think I better get cucumbers and a row of green beans in. I guess we had our last frost, LOL!

How about a little ''Music?''

Thumbnail by billyporter
Roswell, NM(Zone 6a)

You should see Bernie's pictures of his place at : http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1175007/

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We went from winter to July yesterday. 97º at 5 PM.
Large hail & a small tornado in Twin Cities area. Hot air in our area blew towards a cold front there. Bang, big storms!

The rows of plastic in the one picture, 2 were planted with cucumber seeds yesterday. Today we are going to try to put row covers on them. Never did this before, so might be an experience.

Bernie

Ha, not really that, just busy in the veggie garden and beds after work and on the weekends and can't do it all. It will be too hot to go out there in the afternoons before too much longer so getting all done that we can.

Here y'all!

https://picasaweb.google.com/christinepix/MayAtMyHouse#

If anyone knows what type plants I have please let me know LOL

Hot and humid still but this time we only reached 82 for a high. Storms all around us it seems but nothing here yet. I think tonight we have a chance.

Spent all afternoon getting my containers potted up. They look horrible now but will look great when everything fills in. lol. I crammed in stuff in some of them. Had more plants than room. Even had to put lantana with a dappled willow bush I have in one pot. I told the bush it could share. LOL

3 of the pots

Thumbnail by pepper23
(Zone 7a)

We're only going to get warmer from here on out. 70º tomorrow.

I put my upside down tomato to better use this year than the disappointing use from last year. I will get pics tomorrow.

I'm hoping this is the 'Coral Nymph' Salvia I was told it was. Anyone know for sure? It's ready to be planted out.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

62°/84° Variable clouds with showers and scattered thunderstorms. Warm. High 84F. Winds SSW at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

Prissy Jo, thanks! I hadn't seen Bernie's thread.

Bernie, our weather didn't change that much, but we had our share of heat.

I hope the row covers work for you. Are there holes in the plastic to vent excess moisture?

Chrissy, I love how you mix the garden with the flowers :o)

I see Calla Lily and strawberries instead of Lily of The Valley.

Those long leaves look so familiar in photo 17. Aster?

Loved the colorful blooms and how Dave packed so much into a narrow space.

Pepper, they don't look so bad :o) Filled in they will be beautiful!

Yes, sharing is good!

Celia, we're still going from hot to cool. At least it's not cold.

I can't tell, but I hope it is. I can't wait to see it bloom. I love Salvias!

It's another cloudy day with another chance of rain. It rained a little while I was in the garage repotting my little tomatos. I never did get the cucumbers and green beans in. I also have sweet peas soaking. I think they are very old seed, from my Aunt.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Yes, small round holes on a 4" grid.

Nice day yesterday. Sort of hot in the sun in latter afternoon.
Cloudy with drips this morning. Warm.

Lots of cole crop plants set out. Cabbage, Kale, Broccoli & Cauliflower.

Might plant summer squash today. See what the weather does.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Bernie, that's a nice roll of plastic!

For all your cold weather and snow, you're right on schedule for crops.

BP I do the flowers, Dave does the veggies. I got home last night and he hadn't watered my flowers and even the weeds were wilted!! It's bad when the weeds are wilted!!

Dave's growing iceburg lettuce and doesn't have a clue as to what he's doing, he keeps pulling the outter leaves off of the heads, I keep telling him to leave them alone but he won't! He thinks they need to be clean and I've never grown lettuce so I have no idea and have no ammo, is he doing it wrong? Should he be leaving the leaves alone?

Decent temps today, low 80s and mostly cloudy.

My containers have already started perking up since we got the storms last night. I was just out there and my coleus look like brand new plants!! LOL

Check this video out. My dad saw it on GMA this morning and had me look it up. It's very cute!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaatu42

Thumbnail by pepper23
(Zone 7a)

ROTFLOL That's the funniest thing I've seen in a long time!

That's great!!!! Thanks for sharing it!!!

We're going to be sunny and 80* today, got none of the rain that came over last night at the house :(

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Eeek, is it just me or is that dog not doing the talking?! But neat video either way, thanks Pepper. I might be making a "cheap camera Youtube video" of me driving my truck and doing the features and stuff to sell it on Craigslist, I want to show beforehand that it's roadworthy and stuff. Maybe that will take they're mind off the fact that it uses oil and it gets 12 mpg!

I can't believe how cold it's getting at nite and for the next few days! One forecaster here in Kansas City, MO. even forecasted 38° F for a low Tuesday! After next week, it better stay nice or I'm putting in a call!
Will

Chilly today. I didn't even bother working in the greenhouse. Not much to do anyways but if it's nice out I find something to do. lol. Misting off and on all day also.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

52°/53° Through 11am: Rain showers developing around 6am. Rain showers early will evolve into a more steady rain for the afternoon. Winds NNW at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 70%. Rainfall near a quarter of an inch.

Aww Chrissy, I hope they came out of their wilt. Not the weeds tho. Nice way to kill them :o)

If he's pulling them off while they're still growing, how is he going to harvest them? I'd Google ''caring for iceberg lettuce'' :o)

Pepper, that dog video is making the rounds. I just adore it!

Will, link us to your video when you're done. Are you going to film it from your car with someone else driving the truck, or just from the truck?

Pepper, I would find some busy work to do too. Actually I'd still be ''shopping'' for what I didn't have yet. Too much temptation! :o)

Wow, are they blooming now? Mine are throwing up buds so it won't be long for me!! Are they an old variety?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Hey guess what.... it's Raining!

(Zone 7a)

Gosh! Imagine that!!! LOL

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Raining here to!
Very cold & NW wind at market this morning. Crowd wasn't to bad though.
Forecast for this week, clear, sunny & 70's. We'll see.

Roswell, NM(Zone 6a)

9 month drought without a drop so far. They say we might get some in July. Now we've only got fires and winds. I can't keep my plants wet enough no matter how much I pour on them. Lost all my peppers and tomatoes. Very discouraging

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

It is quite gloomy here. The heater is on and I brought some plants back in from the outside, miserable weather, maybe it won't last much longer.
I was thinking about me doing the camera video and driving to Walmart or something to show it drives and everything on the road. Sure, I'll post the link to my ad if anyone wants to see it. Now, I'm thinking about suing the hitch company that installed my hitch receiver. I saw later that day, (yesterday), that the plug and wires were put in the trunk. I told them on the phone today, "I don't want it in the trunk, can you fix it or give me a refund?". He said they "won't give my money back and they won't fix it." I said, "do you go to small claims court?". It only costs 30 some dollars to sue in small claims court. I've only sued one other time when this place wouldn't give my security deposit back. Actually, I missed the court date unintentionally then, (it's dismissed when you don't show up). I was walking to my truck to leave for court and I had to use the bathroom, I wasn't going to make it. I asked them later if that was a reason to reschedule it, they said no..lol
I might also sit outside they're hitch business with a non-slanderous sign to tell my story. I saw an elderly man do that in a wheelchair on the highway's sidewalk, around March. He had his veteran hat on and he was just letting them have it with a sign, in front of they're used car dealership place, I don't think they liked that!

This message was edited May 14, 2011 7:57 PM

Definitely gloomy here!! Cold and miserable!! Supposed to start warming up slowly though.

I put almost all the plants we had out at work back inside the greenhouse today just in case we get frost. The hardy ones I left outside.

Bp, the irsies in that pic are old fashioned ones that smell like grapes almost. I have some other old fashioned ones and a bunch of hybids. The hybrids were all from Powell Gardens, my grandma or a co-op. I have them everywhere!! LOL. Getting a couple more I think next Sunday. A friend and I are going to Commanche Iris Farms outside St. Joseph, MO.

I need to get more pics of my irises. Blooming like crazy but I don't have any good pics.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

50°/59° Overcast with rain showers at times. High around 60F. Winds NNE at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 50%.

Ric, rain, you lucky dog! LOL!

Bernie, we're right under you in the rain cycle. It was wet and cold here too.

Prissy Jo, no rain is the saddest story of all. I couldn't take it. How long have you lived there. Forgive my memory if you've told us already :o)

Will, heater on here too. I'll watch the video if you make it :o)

It's hard to get good service sometimes. You might have to tuck those wires back yourself.

Pepper, do not say frost!!

I didn't realize so many different iris have a grape smell, cool! Yes, we need iris pictures! Mine have buds and a few bloomed already! I'm so excited!

I love lantana! I haven't found any of that, or penta, for the Butterfly Bed yet.

A cold gloomy Sunday. Just what I need to finish my "me" day projects. Dad came up for an hour or so yesterday, but I did finish one thing after he left :o)

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Sun peeking out this morn.
Sunny all week. Enough of that miserable low pressure system.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Bernie, I hope you get nicer weather, especially since you're doing Market.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.