Winston-Salem, NC(Zone 7b)

Reynolda Gardens Peonies #8

Thumbnail by bungalow1056

Reynolda Gardens Peonies #9

Reynolda Gardens Peonies #10

Of course, the house, greenhouses and gardens were once one of the local private estates of the Reynolds family who made their tobacco fortune in the 20th century. Winston-Salem (much like Durham) simply would not exist today as the city it is without the tobacco industry. Things have certainly changed over time but the Reynolds name is everywhere around here much as the Duke name is everywhere around Durham. I'm going to set up a public garden entry for Reynolda in the appropriate Dave's spot. I'll post a link on here for those who might want to see the other pants, flowers, etc.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Two days of 90-plus temperatures have pushed the tree peony from tight bud to blooming.

Here is High Noon close up

Thumbnail by Cybrczch
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Another view

Thumbnail by Cybrczch
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

And here's the whole bush. Two dozen blooms already. In front is the seedheads from my pasque flower

Thumbnail by Cybrczch
Hustisford, WI(Zone 5a)

Thanks for posting those gardens pictures, and the background info.

And High Noon is beautiful ~j

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

I second the opinion. It's great to see peonies in all their forms.

My two slightly older tree peonies are about ready to burst out! Some of the first Misaka buds are damaged (bought this spring) , but more to come. An earlier posting by another Misaka owner did not look the same. Mine has a lot of reddish bronze in the leaves, and the blooms are rather peachy pink and so far, not much yellow--is this kopper kettle? I do expect more yellow to develop. Pics after the rain stops in a few days! Hopefully, all the prom kids coming for pics will get to enjoy them too.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I didn't get to see my tree peony in any real degree of beauty ~ it burst into bloom on Tuesday at 96*. The blooms were wilty so I gave it a good drink, then yesterday's 95* was just too much.

Thumbnail by Moby
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I did have my first bloom on Aerie. :)

Thumbnail by Moby

Well phooey Moby. That stinks!

Aerie is cheery.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I thought so too ~ stink, stank, stunk! (just like the Grinch) It's supposed to be quite cool for the next week so the other peonies should be happy.

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Db. phoney, Moby! We had 85 here yesterday and very humid. Pushed things rapidly, but only the fern leaf peonies have any buds on.
I noticed that some of the dwarf iris are blooming. Have to get the camera out and take pictures. Right now it is sprinkling so came in to see where the rain is, guess I won't be weeding a lily bed much longer.

Have fun at the RU or what ever they call it?

where did you purchase "Aerie". Very stunning and a nice addition to your flower bed.

Maxine

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Hi Max! Aerie was purchased from Hollingsworth ~ they have a booth at the Des Moines Flower & Garden show, which is where we (IRLS) have our big lily sale in the Spring.

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

The peonies I'll be rescuing are mostly white, but there is 3 red ones that I'm hoping I'll be able to get also.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Cybr, your High Noon is gorgeous...a really nice-looking specimen. Maybe I will have one looking like that some day; I can only hope.

Moby, your Aerie is beautiful. Sorry abou your wilty TP but it still looks pretty:-) Such is life in a plains state, huh....we have the same issue...all of these ups and downs and weather extremes. Only thing that saved us from extremes early this week was Tuesday's heavy rain. Rainy now and only 64 here in DFW right now ;-)

Bungalow, thanks for sharing the garden pics...they're spectacular.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I think it's going to be a good peony year here. I have them in the ground and in pots. The density of buds on my first Festiva Maxima is incredible.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Sure is!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I dug up and potted up a young Burma Joy in April (!!)and it is very happy. I think you can get away with it when they are young. This will be its third season of bloom.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Congrats Donna that your plants survived the dig and appear to be doing great! They look terrific!!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I'm learning, Steve, just how tough peonies are. A curious squirrel severely chomped two of them. The both sent up secondary sections. One of them was chomped again. It sent up tertiary sections. It's really freaky, like watching them rise from the dead.

I have a couple other much newer peonies, including a Coral Charm that did not bloom in the ground, that are doing wonderfully and will bloom. I think part of it is that some of mine were never planted properly in the first place, and this was my chance to fix them - I planted them all quite high.

This is such fun!

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

"Coral Charm" opened last night and I took this photo today. This was given to me 8-9 years ago and has languished in my garden. Two years ago it had one bloom, last year three - this year there are a dozen buds, so I guess it's established and 'happy'.

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Leawood, fantastic!

I have a Coral Charm that was repeatedly stomped on people cutting through my property. I dug it up and put it in a pot this April. The root appeared to be very small, but it seems happier now, with its buds.

Nice to see you on the peony forum, Mr. Tulips!

Donna

Kansas City, MO

Donna, watch the area you dug the Coral Charm. In a year or so you may have additionwood al plants to give away. Many of the corals will grow eyes from the smallest piece of root.

Leawood Gardener, if we don't already know each other perhaps we can meet this fall at the HPS sale. Date has not been set but should be early October.

Alana

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks, Alana, I will.

I went to a peony society meeting last year and Roy Klehm mentioned that Pink Hawaiian Coral was incredibly prolific, and that he could not hold it back. Apparently it takes over the planet if allowed. It is described on web sites as "very vigorous".

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

I've not been to any peony society meetings or sales, so that might be interesting Alana. Let me know when it's held. I recently visited Bannister Gardens to check out their peonies (based on the article in KC Gardener). I'd been there years ago, but didn't know Tony was such a peony grower. I could have spent a fortune, but just bought 3 plants to add to my border. I'd love to have a tree variety, but I don't have the right spot for one.

Donna, you're one of the best gardeners I've met on DG - nice to see you here.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Here's peony Sea Shell. The blooms didn't last long with the heat this week.

Thumbnail by Cem9165
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Closer view of Sea Shell's blooms.

Thumbnail by Cem9165
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Lady Orchid peony that stated on the tag new from Monrovia. The ? is how new is this variety.

Thumbnail by Cem9165
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Inspecteur Lavergne side view.

Thumbnail by Cem9165
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Cem, how beautiful. I just love your peonies. My older sister lives in Savannah and loves peonies, but is under the impression that she can't grow them there. Your pictures will be an inspiration to her.

And Leawood, you are a darling!

Donna

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Cem, you have some wonderful plants...I love your Insp. Lavergne - that one is a keeper. The ONLY bad thing about peonies is how the weather fluctuations can affect the bloom. Even in the best conditions it is not a long-blooming plant but even so they are worth every bit of enjoyment we can get out of them.

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

Cem, your Inspector looks like my Big Ben...

Thumbnail by LiliMerci
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Donna and Steve. Lili, you're right the blooms do look very similar. Big Ben's center looks less compacted with petals, and the colors are the same ;o).

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Finally! This is the week! This is the best harbinger of springing into summer.

Thumbnail by cathy166
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I'm always intrigued by the combinations of blooms on the nishiki. I never know what to expect.

Thumbnail by cathy166
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Cathy,

That is gorgeous. I'm totally unfamiliar with the nishiki. Could you please tell us more about it? (And more pictures of it, please!)

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

WOW, Cathy. That is so pretty! I like it alot!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.