You're welcome!

Susan

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Yummy in sun tea or lemonade as well!!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

absolutely, Chantell!
Although we don't normally make sun tea, we have it's equivalent - Iced Tea ^_^

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I know what you mean about never having just a little mint (unless it's one of the few wimpy ones!). All of mine are potted, either as hanging baskets or buried in my herb garden. I just repotted one of the hanging because I couldn't keep it hydrated. Come to find out it was totally root bound--i couldn't even see any soil left! I need to repot others but I think I'll just have to use about 1/4 of the plant to stay ahead of it! I hate throwing away plants but I just can't use this much mint! Guess I'll strip the mint from what I don't need and make some teas or maybe try to freeze it? I know! I'll put it in some vodka and maybe that could be used like extract!

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

WOW! And I constantly have to buy more mint plants. They just dont do well here with our intense heat and scorching sun. I've tried it in pots, and they last a month or so, but then just slowly begin to wither away to nothing. And I LOVE mint! Just wish I didn't have to constantly spend money on it!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Well, I guess it loves the colder climate, cuz it grows wild here.......

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Spearmint grew year round next to a gorgeous burnt orange old fashioned mum outside my grandmothers front door in Belen, NM when I was a child, hot there, ice in winter, full shade planted- maybe southerners need to treat it like a full shade plant?

I'm not giving up! I want mint to grow for me so badly! I use in in cooking, drinks, etc....so buying it at the store over and over, simply makes no sense. And I can't believe what they charge you for 3 sprigs, when everyone else says it's invasive...go figure! :)

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Try growin it in like a raised bed, or one of those tiered strawberry planters so their feet drain when it rains- and mix your soul with half bag mix of a planting medium- full sun, Fl has dried up somewhat since I was down there watching my bath towel turn green, grow legs and walk away 3 hrs later( late 80's) chuckl,

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I have mine growing in 2 spots - full shade (tiny plants, don't get big...... but keep on trying!) and full sun (can't stop it overgrowing everything in the flower garden!!)

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

MM have you tried growing it beneath another taller plant - i.e. Rosemary? Or even the semi-shade of a larger potted plant?

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

how tall does Rosemary grow????

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

LOL good question - I 'prune' mine multiple times each year and mine is 5' tall

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

5 FT tall?!?! holy cow....... but that would be because it's a perennial, right? Sure wouldn't be one here....... or maybe it would. I'm going to check the Herbs forum to see about Rosemary.....

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Susan - I'm not sure that you have any hardy to your zone :( I've had mine since buying it at Walmart (Bonnie's herbs) about years ago

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Gonna check anyway, and see - after all, Mint is hardy to zone 3, and I'm zone 3b

Now my Rosemary does well in Florida! It's probably a 3 foot x foot bush! I'm going to try again with the mint. Is there one that does better than others? I've usually tried the exotic flavors, instead of plain'ol'mint....

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I grow chocolate mint, spearmint and peppermint - Chocolate mint does very well in my zone 3b, south facing.

Normal soil moisture, or does it need to be wetter than that?

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Flavors are stronger if soil stays drier, but a normal moisture is ok

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

we don't have "normal moisture" here - very dry climate, and clay soil........
Think "Arizona"!! We have the "Badlands" here - dessert climate.

This message was edited Jul 5, 2012 9:38 PM

Fort Myers, FL

I am starting a garden this fall and in the process of buying seeds.
One of the items have proven very ellusive. Does anybody have any seeds or cutting or starts of Curly mint aka Moroccan mint aka Mentha spicata crispa?
Any help would sure be appreciated.
Thanks

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Unfortunately, I lost mine a couple years ago during a summer when containers were neglected. It's hard to kill mint, but I did it. I was just thinking that was one thing I'd be looking for at DeBaggio's this coming spring (didn't get down there this year)... so if you haven't found any by March/April, let me know. DeBaggio's doesn't do mail order, but I'll ship to you, cost of plant plus postage shouldn't be more than maybe $10 since I'm sure it can go first class (under 13 oz) or in the $5 mini-box. I'm a good packer, so I could probably fit a bonus mint or two from my garden, too...

Curly Mint is also known as "Doublemint," and it does have the clean, freh
But any organization in my life is mostly pretense these days (my daughter and I just have too much fun together; we worry about as few details as possible LOL)... so, you will have to remind me please, possibly more than once. Thanks!

Woodland Hills, CA

I have spearmint, chocolate mint and peppermint planted in a two tier container garden. I designed it for a garden video series called, "Way to Grow" aimed at beginner gardeners.
Here's a photo and a link to the video called, "Cocktail Gardening: Grow Mint, Basil and Cilantro."
Hope you like it!

Shirley Bovshow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCUnYdqwj3U&feature=share&list=UUDsRDw0U4737-nbiuspjlRA

Thumbnail by edenmaker
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Shirley - LOVE it!!! After all these years of gardening...why didn't I think of moss for a top dressing?! What kind do you use and can it be found at the big box stores?

Woodland Hills, CA

HI Chantell. Thanks for watching and commenting! I use regular sphagnum moss and buy it at my local garden center. I've seen bags of it at HD but I need LARGE bags and they don't carry them.
I like to top my containers with it because it gives it a finished look and provides the moisture protection the herbs need.

Boston, MA(Zone 6b)

Just to bump this back up - of all the silly things, my regular mint (and chocolate mint) got chomped to the nub by one determined wooly caterpillar. I'd be happy to trade or SASE if anyone has a few mints to spare. Thank you!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

If roots remain, you'll have mint again. :-)

Boston, MA(Zone 6b)

I'm sure it'll come back, it's just taking its sweet time, for once! :)

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

yes, mint will come back - it's almost invasive....... well, actually it IS lol

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

I have several different mints growing against the side of my barn with our gravel driveway butting right up to them, so they don't really have a chance to take over the world as they would like. To somewhat try to keep them identified, I put labels on flat round river rocks tucked up against each type. Any other stake type of labeling would likely get demolished by the traffic, as this is at the turn of a round-about. So far, so good, and I like the rather unkempt look of the mints against the old barn wood.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I grew Peppermint back in the 70's always had a very nice stand , never have gotten it to grow since . lol
Mints I have
Korean mint
Spearmint
Chocolate Mint .
I will try more as time goes on , Have used several for tea or digestive aids in the past , Wonderful herb , the mints ..

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Man, I just gave away tons of mints from dividing my hanging baskets! Wish I'd known because our family lives in NO and we visit regularly. I think we'll be back for 4th of July so if you still need some mints, I can bring you cuttings then. Just let me know! I have spear, choc, candy lime, orange, pineapple (finicky), and "regular" mint. You can DG message me.
Janet

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

orange and pineapple? never heard of that b4.......
too bad I'm in a diff country, I could really use some.... surely there's some available here - I grow chocolate and peppermint here - grows wild lol
great for tea and cooking, f'sure!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Dang if I won't be coming to Calgary in early August!! But I doubt I can bring plants into Canada. Oh well...We'll be going to Moraine Lake Lodge to celebrate our 35th anniversary :)

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

You're coming to Calgary in August? Really? kewl!!
What a lovely way to spend your 35th Anniversary!
Do you suppose we could meet for coffee or lunch, or something? I would Love to meet someone from DG that doesn't already live in Calgary lol
I've met a few here, but none from US or further away in Canada.......

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

We're not actually staying there, just flying in, getting our rental car and going onto the resort. You're welcomed to visit us in Houston, though! Come down for our Fall Roundup get together out in the country. :)

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

lol visit Houston, eh? Well, would love to, but know it's not going to happen....

Well, best get offline, and get packed for camping - going to pick Bob up this aft, from work, then into the motorhome and we're OFF!!
Will be back sometime Sunday.

It's raining now, and promises to rain HARD this weekend, where we're going. Heck, it's raining here, now... good thing Bob brought the motorhome next to the house, so I can load it easily.
Now, to put a raincoat on and gather stuff together lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.