Panels Blew Out

Belvidere, IL(Zone 5a)

We have had some terrible winds here lately. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can use to keep the panels in? I've put them back in only to have the wind blow them out again.

Thanks,
Nancy

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I used adhesive caulk around the edges where the panels attach to the frame and that's worked well for me. Before I did that I did have panels blow out in the wind, but since I did that I haven't had any problems.

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

We caulked our little greenhouse, I've only had one panel blow out since then, even with the tornado that went through here on Friday night.

Lambertville, NJ(Zone 6a)

I have a Harbour Freight GH and DH put extra screws around the pannels to hold them in. Good thing, we are due for 60 mph winds today. So far it has held up to some pretty strong wind.

Belvidere, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks everyone.

ercane3 what kind of caulk did you use?

Nancy

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I just remember it being called adhesive caulk and it was clear--my guess it it was probably made of silicone but I don't know for sure. It was a couple years ago so I don't remember too many details--sorry! My guess is most types of caulk ought to work fine.

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

Nancy, go to this old thread. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1089730/

Scroll down to June 13th (it's a long thread). There is a recommendation there for the type of caulk that worked well for this guy.

Belvidere, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks Pastime. Nancy

Kylertown, PA(Zone 5b)

I had one those small, twin-wall greenhouses for three years before the wind and the weather did it in. They just aren't suitable where the weather is brutal. This year, I had the local Amish modify an 8x10 shed for me to use as a greenhouse. Alot sturdier in the long run. The only problem is that it has been hotter than hades in there during this heat wave, but I don't have anything in there right now. I am going to look for a solar fan.

This message was edited Jul 22, 2011 9:09 AM

Thumbnail by IndaShade
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

That is really nice Sherry! How have you been?!

Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

Nancy, the Buatel caulk is good but a little messy to clean up. I love an adhesive caulk called Polyseamseal made by Loctite.
Most hardware and big box stores have it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.