Bromeliads for novices and addicts. April-May 2011

shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone,

Breeindy, yes your plant is an Ae recurvata albeit one of the smaller ones know as Ae recurvata var benrathii

All the best, Nev.

Christchurch, New Zealand

ahhh hindsight is a wonderful thing...
after reading about removing smelly rotten flowers I found one at work that had rotted before the flower even properly formed, too cold, too wet...
thinking I would be clever I tried to remove the icky flower, got a leaf come cleanly away, tried again and lo & behold the entire centre of the plant has pulled out - leaving a nice clean 'bowl'.
Oh dear that was a bit extreme.
There is a pup on the plant - quite a big one...
I don't think anyone will notice what i have done - the plant is stuck out of sight in the library, at least they put it next to a window to get good diffuse light.
I was sorely tempted to liberate a pup but now having read the info about not doing so in the cooler weather will leave it.
-1 C frost and the worst is yet to come...
winter is here.

se qld, Australia

Using Google Documents to attach a file. I'll be interested to hear whether it requires others to be signed into Google to access it.

Pam

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1j-x_vLJ5urb21s8KNpRNuF1GQrhRva7ePqnA13173Wg/edit?hl=en_GB&authkey=CMbSw5AC

This message was edited Jun 2, 2011 4:20 PM

shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone,

Dalfyre, sounds like a bit of crown rot you have there and probably from a combination of too much water and cold temperatures. You did the right thing removing the rotten bits. Pull out any other leaves that come away easily and then give the centre a good flush out.

Tip out the water and let the centre dry out for a day or two and then put some clean (room temperature) water in it and the pup should be fine. You don't need to remove it from the main plant as that's probably finished now anyway but the pup can still draw strength from it. Besides now the centre is gone it may just fool the plant into producing another pup.

Also while the weather is cold I'd pull it back from the glass a bit as next to the glass can sometimes be almost as cold as the outside temp (just feel it) and the cold can transfer easily from the glass to the plant if it's too close, even though it's inside.

Finally as the original plant dies, just progressively remove the dead bits.

Pam - That works fine, aren't you the clever one? Now I need some simple step by step instructions for computer illiterates (In simple easy to understand language that isn't computer "gobbly gook" please)

All the best, Nev.

se qld, Australia

Heck Nev, if I can do it anyone can . lol

First up, if you haven't already done so, you'll need to create a gmail account. That's reasonably straightforward from the Google page. Once you've done that, and are signed into Google using that id, up at the top left is a menu accross the screen, 'images', 'videos',' maps', etc. Click on more, and select 'documents' from the drop down menu.

Then simply click create new document. Fiddle a bit with the options it gives you for text, pictures etc. The save, button I have only just discovered, is at the top right. When you're happy with it, and saved it, click on share and it will provide the url for the page. At some stage you will need to tell it who is to be permitted to see it. I just selected, 'anyone who has a link'.

If you have any trouble with this I am happy to create a picture tutorial.

Pam

Christchurch, New Zealand

Nev - the plant at work is on a table by the window so not close to the glass - and I have to double check but I think like all the new windows it is double glazed & slightly tinted.
I will keep an eye on the plant but if nothing else this is a good way to learn a bit about how to care for them & get some practice in for when I finally get some of my own.

north coast nsw, Australia

woops

This message was edited Jun 2, 2011 4:14 PM

Thumbnail by breeindy

Thanks splinter..yes i remember now that is what it is. Isn't your orange flowering one called that to though?
Do you think this is just way to sunburnt?, went awfully dark.

Thumbnail by breeindy
shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone,

Breeindy – No my orange flowered plant just plain Aechmea recurvata (at this stage) as opposed to yours which is Aechmea recurvata variety benrathii. Mine is a seedling as a result of a crossing between two different clones of Aechmea recurvata and subsequently all of the resulting babies are still called Aechmea recurvata.

This is similar to humans where as an example you have Mr. And Mrs. Smith who have four children. Even though the children are all named Smith, they are all different. To give them their own specific identity they are given a first name such as Bill, Bob. Ted or Alice.

It’s a similar story with the Aechmea recurvatas, the better /different ones are each given a varietal name to distinguish them from all of the others and save confusion, such as yours being Aechmea recurvata variety benrathii. It is still a recurvata but is distinguished by the addition of a varietal name.

If for instance someone wanted to get a plant the same as your Aechmea recurvata variety benrathii and they just ordered Aechmea recurvata, they could finish up with any of the recurvatas which may or may not look anything like the plant they want. This is why it’s so important to keep the correct full names of plants with them, so that you know what they are exactly.

If I wanted to distinguish my plant from all of the other Aechmea recurvatas, I could give it a varietal name which I would then need to register with the Bromeliad Cultivar Registrar at the Bromeliad Society International to make it official, but that’s another story.

As for the picture of your plant which looks to me to be either one of the Aechmea orlandianas or one of its hybrids, it isn’t sunburnt; it just has very colourful leaves due to what I suspect is from being exposed to very good, strong light. If it was sunburnt the leaves would show anywhere between a bleaching of the colour right through to the other extreme where they are light brown, dry and crinkly like brown paper.

All I can say is that “beauty is in the eye of the beholder”. Personally I like that colour, and many growers would kill to get that depth of colour in their orlandianas where others prefer the two coloured patterned leaves of a plant grown in much less light.

Now I have a couple of questions for you; what is the full name on the label of that particular plant, and do you have a pup which you would like to swap for one of a similar type?

All the best, Nev.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

I think we need that new thread for June. As there have been no takers, I'll get one started. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1187000/
head on over and I'll see you there.
Sue

Thankyou so much for going to the trouble of letting me know that Splinter. I didn't put a tag on that brom when i bought it and i can't remember what it was called but i did get in from ebay, i'll have to look through all my feedback and find its name. Sorry it doesn't have any pups ..yet. I'll let you know when it does. Love to swap for one of them orange flowering prickly ones like yours. Anyone know this one? It a pretty small grower. I'd say mini

Thumbnail by breeindy
Delray Beach, FL

Hi everyone!!! Have not been on here for a while for the fact I went through a orchid depression Everything I had died on my and I gave up Sooo I had to come on here to get back on my grind and get back in the game and mabie get some help this time. Well let me start with a friend of mine had giving me several bromeliad aechmea blue tango and some gavriel jecan's from what they look like I think that is what they WERE. Well she had them in soil and gave them to me in full bloom with roots, The same day I planted them in soil and 2-3 days later the beautiful blue's and red's went to browns :(. Do you think they went into shock? Will they rebloom? How often do they bloom and how long do the blooms last? What do I need to do ? How do I find or get the seeds? The leaves are still green as I attatched some pics below Thank you for any help it is greatly appriciated You can also email me at nikkidavis26@yahoo.com

Thumbnail by nikkidavis26
barmera, Australia

Hi Nikki. If you post this onto the latest brom thread I'm sure some-one will help you. Colleen

Coffs Harbour, Australia

I had to laugh at that pic, look at all the lttle grave markers in the back ground!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.