Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

the other lily is Starlette

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Here are the lilies and companions.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Ge, these are lovely. Are these from this year or last?

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Oh, I have those, bearded iris, liatris, and monarda. Five years ago I wouldn't have had any idea what they were. Guess I am finally learning. Plus it's neat that I can grow at least some of what you guys can down south. No lilies but one little sprout yet but it's coming. My lilies are always very late in summer.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Oh Ge, I'm going to like this thread :o)

I'm blown away by your lilies! I think the companions are perfect too, they are all favorites of mine :o)

I was going thru my gathered seeds yesterday, picking what I'd like to try and start. The Blazing Star was one choice. You can never have too many and I don't.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Some of my lily pix arent mine. The one that heads the thread is from the online nursery. I just planted the bulbs yesterday. I will photo in July,when they bloom here.

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

My lillies are growning all over the yard and it looks like it's going to be a great show this summer. Meanwhile, my spring bulbs are putting on the spring show in my garden.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Guess winter is over!!!

I have tulips breaking ground and crocus blooming. My Bea Mugua quince is forming leaves barely and one rose (hansa) has some 'bumps' on it that will soon be leaves. No lilies yet, but daylilies and bearded iris show growth (those that didn't rot). 39F this morning and frost on the ground @ 6:30am, gone now

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Brrr! It's been quite chilly here but we're up to 66 now ~ with sun! Haven't seen it for a while.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

60 mph wind warnings and they arent kidding. I can feel the temps dropping and while I slept with windows open last 2 nights, it will be 40's tonight so thats out.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

First lilies starting to open - yes!! This is London a day or two ago.

And i have Echinaceas (coneflowers) - everywhere. I planted a couple maybe two or three years ago and this year they are coming up like weeds all over my front yard. Anyone else find them almost - invasive? LOL

Thumbnail by SteveIndy
Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

Yes Steve! I do! I have been pullling/digging them out of places that they aren't welcome, just leaving a few to continue growing. I do like the blooms in the late summer/fall so I don't want to eradicate them altogether!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Me too!

Interesting. I struggle to keep mine. In fact I am not sure if the ones I planted last summer will return.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Great 1st Lily Steve.

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

Great lily Steve. I had the opposite problem with my new hot colored coneflowers that I planted last spring. They did not come up this spring so they died on me over the winter. Bummer as they were just so pretty. I am not replacing them.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Echinaceas are a bit messy (wily), but one of the reasons I like to leave them is that the birds eat the seeds from the coneheads year round. Also, they come up mid-summer when other flowers except the playtcodon and tomatoes are gone. They outlast the lilies, and they're one of the few blooms still going when the dahlias die down after the first frost.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

That's very true. I do like to leave some flower-heads for the birds but I prefer to cut and lay them on the ground so they stay in a smaller area.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

You all make good points. Interesting because Echinaceas are not always cheap to buy at nurseries but at least in the middle of the country seem to thrive without effort. I do not like to cut them down and iris and cathy mentioned, they bloom mid and late summer when other things are finished or are giving up in the heat and add a lot of much needed color and texture. Still some of them are in awkward places like up against other perennials so I will have to move them this fall.

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

Same thing with my Black Eyed Susans. Have to keep them under control or they take over a bed!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I tried leaving for Finches. There was 1 finch and he left a lot. Now I am weeding.
I used to have 10 birds at my old house. They came because I planter cosmos in the front yard.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Ge, I look forward to seeing those you planted!

NY Rita, I look forward to seeing your's too!

Mstella, you aren't too far behind me. My crocus are done and only the early tulip has bloomed.

Moby and Ge, it's been cold, cloudy and windy here since the new year began. I'm so tired of warm for a couple days, cold for a week.

Steve, pretty lilies! Mine are just a few inches out of the ground :o(

My coneflowers are gaining too.

NY Rita, I'm anxious to see my colored coneflower seedlings that are growing. I doubt they are the same as the parent plant.

Cathy, that's why I like coneflowers. Also, because the butterflies like them.

Irisluvr, every once in a while I grub all the Susans out, but one or two manage to sneak back anyway :o)

Ge, same here. I just cut the stalks and set them up in the weeds across the road. I keep hoping the seeds will take and they will bloom over there too.

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

The lilies I ordered from Bert earlier this year are up!

Toronto
Blackout
Robina
Casa Blanca

They will go in the ground soon!

Debbie

Thumbnail by irisluvr0252
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

nice looking shoots.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Looking good, iris!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Irisluvr, those loook really good! I have Casa Blanca and love it! The blooms are huge! It's tall enough to walk by and stick my nose into it, LOL! Beware the anthers :o)

But, I see I need to dig mine and replant in better dirt. One bulb is all babies now.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

GE ~ where did you get your Gold Stone lily?

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Popping in to say hi. Anyone have lilies bloming yet? I'm just beginning with iris and am in Iris Heaven :o)

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

No lilies in zone 6. Another 4 weeks but the rest of the garden will keep me amused in the meantime.

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

Mine have started! One began blooming yesterday! I will have to check the name and post a picture....if it isn't raining when I get home!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Awesome!

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

It is Anne Marie's Dream....got it from a Coop last fall.

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

Another picture of the same Lily - Anne Marie's Dream. The plant is only about 24" tall at the moment. I can't recall how tall it is supposed to be.

This message was edited May 24, 2011 10:30 AM

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Love those double petals!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Irisluvr0252, she's beautiful!! I can almost feel the thick petals.

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

Thanks! When I planted the bulbs last fall, 2 of them already had sprouted and was about 6" tall. I worried that the winter would do them in but those are the ones that are blooming!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

irisluvr0252, that would have worried me too. I have one, that the bulbs brought themselves to the surface, and they are doing fine so far. as far as I know it's am Asiatic. I'll have to research that. I thought only the Madonna Lily liked to be close to the top. I had planted this one a good 4'' deep, according to it's size.

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

My Madonna Lily will bloom soon too! This one seems to like the location where it is planted. I've had the Madonna Lily in another location and they just don't do well there.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.