Adeniums Blooming

Yardley, PA

This is the first year I wasn't hit with bugs during the winter and my adeniums seem to be very happy about it. I have never had this many blooms this early. This is Trivius which is a big bloomer in the summer.

Thumbnail by Sally0
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Oh, my gosh, what a beautiful flower with the red and white!

Fort Wayne, IN

Very pretty Sally, gotta love spring with no winter bugs. lol

Yardley, PA

Another few blooms on this one. just love this flower.

Thumbnail by Sally0
Fort Wayne, IN

Beautiful!!!

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

This is very pretty. Well done!

Decatur, GA

Sally,
Those are really beautiful flowers. Its nice to be having a good year!
Helen

Plumiedelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

Sally the trivirus is all orange spotty
Is that your camera or rust?

Yardley, PA

I don't know what you mean? Are you saying Trivius is another color? I looked it up and found another that looked like mine and then one that didn't? Maybe tags are mixed up.

i zoomed in and it seems like it has rust, could be my older getting eyes >

Yardley, PA

I checked the leaves and it looks ok but thank you in case I had missed something. These leaves are not the best looking as they are from last year. I expect them to fall off and new ones to grow when I put it outside.

Providence, RI

Mine is blooming a second time in a month! And my newer ones are gearing up for blooming too. The newer ones are a surprize since I didn't purchase them with blooms. Looks like they will be red, but until they open, you never know! :)

My variegated one hasn't bloomed yet. So that's the suspense to date!

Thumbnail by fatcaudex
Yardley, PA

That is awesome fatcaudex. Your doing something right.

Providence, RI

I must be... here are more pics. Now each branch has multiple buds. This thing is HAPPY!

Thumbnail by fatcaudex
Providence, RI

And the dark maroon one is blooming now :)

Thumbnail by fatcaudex
Arlington, TX

I have neglected mine terribly. Cooler temps and more rain and they are not happy! I started repotting today but only got the largest one done. Hopefully heat and lower humidity will return. Sally where do you buy the hybrids from? I want a few named varieties but can't seem to find a good place to order from. Those pics are all so pretty.

Ive lost 4 this winter, 2 gifted, 1 bought and 1 seedling.
Brads buds n blooms has excellent quality caudexes and grafts on all their adeniums
I recommend buying the largest ones available because they have a better chance of making the long run.
Plus when it leaves up and blooms youll be glad you got the big one ;)

Yardley, PA

Sorry Malestrom that you lost 4 adeniums this winter. That's a bummer. I can't really remember who I bought my hybrids from. I will have to try and look it up.

Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

My plant is a long ways from blooming... just now making its very first leaves of the new year. Nice branching, now that I look at it from above. And a pretty serious subterranean caudex to raise up one day. My plan is to wait until it leafs out for real and then repot it back into soil. I don't know what's up with the semi-hydro here, but we're a month from summer and the plant is still more bud than leaf. Seems wrong to me.

They grow adeniums and ponytail palms in quantity here in Mexico because they are universally loved plants in gardens. It's fun to be able to choose a plant out of a large batch of seedlings. Who doesn't like that?

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Baja, I have a couple of adeniums that I planted in s-h last fall also. Mine are outside on my south porch. They are slower to leaf out in s-h also, so you are not alone in that. I have a few buds coming on one of the plants and I've been watering them with high bloom plant food each day. The s-h dries out quickly here with the heat and low humidity. I am figuring I'm not over watering because of the s-h. The picture is of the one that is not budded.
Edited to say: I just read on another thread that they do not like being repotted so maybe that also has something to do with why they are slower also.

This message was edited May 27, 2011 12:19 PM

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ
Yardley, PA

Hi Nancy, The adeniums may still be adjusting to the s/h. In the summer I will hose them down sometimes every day with all of my plants. Mine stayed leafed out during the winter and they have been giving me sporadic blooms. I never get a lot of blooms this early in the season but maybe that is just me. You sure don't have to worry about overwatering them in the summer.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hi Sally, I wondered if I should have cut the one in my picture back this spring. I didn't do that. Do you feed yours often? If you hose them down, do you feed later with a liquid fertilizer watering?

Yardley, PA

Hi Nancy, I do cut mine back in early spring. When I hose them down I will often use Miracle Grow. I do give them food quite often in the summer.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

I wonder if it would hurt it to cut it back now? I'm very tempted. Has anyone else cut back adeniums this late in the spring?

Providence, RI

I think it depends on when they've bloomed, or if they are just getting ready to. If they have just bloomed, and the plant is "quieting down" with some leaves yellowing and falling off, I don't think it would jurt to trim/prune. If its ramping up to bloom and you cut it back, the plant (and eventually you) may not be so happy... Anyone else have this same experience?

I tend to be aggressive with pruning. My friends tend to be the opposite. The sight of a leggy plant makes me nauseous. This may sound mean, but I'd rather risk the plant dying than have it be an eyesore :(

:)

Yardley, PA

I do not think it is too late Nancy. They will just take a little longer to bloom but they will come back stronger than ever. I like the more compact look. I am like fatcaudex, I am pretty aggressive in cutting mine back. It is scary to do but they will be fine.

Deltona, FL(Zone 9b)

Beautiful adenium pic Sally!

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Well, I did it. I cut all the stems on the Adenium obesum back by over half. I agree with fatcaudex and Sally. To me it looks better already.
On my Adenium somalense I have left it alone because it is just starting to flower and, like fatcaudex says, the plant wouldn't be happy and neither would I.

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ
Decatur, GA

I am glad to report that one of my adeniums has bloomed. It looks white but is has just a very faint tingle of pink around the edge.
I also spotted another bloom on another adenium but its not obesum. I will post that picture next.
Helen

Thumbnail by helenchild
Decatur, GA

Here is the other.

Thumbnail by helenchild
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Beautiful Helen! The white one has such big flowers!

Providence, RI

NancySLAZ, let your Adenium sit in full sun, and you'll see growth after 3-4 weeks. The leaves will be large, and shiny. Just see! The cut-back orchestrated will be well worth it :)

Yardley, PA

Mine are all leafing back out now and starting to form buds.

Arlington, TX

I am finally getting some flowers, its been a slow process this spring.
C

Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw
Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Gorgeous!

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Thanks fatcaudex! I have it in full sun most of the day and I already have some new growth coming along.
My Adenium somalense has had 4 blooms this spring (my first ever Adenium blooms) and I'm happy!

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ
Decatur, GA

Beautiful flowers Nancy and newton.

Yardley, PA

Very nice Newton and Nancy

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I went to Walmart the other day and looked at some adeniums that they were selling as bonsai. On another thread in the Florida gardening someone had mentioned buying one and that the rocks on top had been set in resin or something. So I rescued one that look bad with no leaves. The store gave that one to me for $1. I bought another for the original $11. LOL Now I have 4 separate plants. the one that had no leaves is already starting to put out new ones. I have no idea what color they will be but I love them and I lost the 2 I had over the winter. They had other desert roses for sale but the bottom of the plant wasn't fat. Look like a branch cut off and stuck in the dirt. looked weird to me

Darla

Yardley, PA

My adeniums are starting to bloom nicely now.

Thumbnail by Sally0

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.