On no! It's squishy :(

Phoenix, AZ

Well I sprinkled it with Cinnamon and it was doing well (not dying) and then I noticed mealy bugs again! Arrggghhhh! So I took it out side put it under a tree and sprayed it with some Bayer. Checked on it the next weekend and the pot was empty! Searched around and found it about 3 ft away and pretty dry (stupid Grackles) I immediately started CPR :)
It's been back in the house in a east facing window (we had the 2nd hottest summer on record) Checked today and look! It has 3 little nubs starting! I can't believe this poor thing is still alive~~~~~~

Stay tuned for the continuing saga of "Lucky"

Thumbnail by Fish_knees
Decatur, GA

Three little nubs..... YEAH!

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Wow! Are you still keeping it in S/H?

Phoenix, AZ

No S/H, when I put it outside I planted it in potting soil. Too many days @ 115 degrees to keep the S/H moist. I did throw some on top of the soil because I like the look though :)

I think if we had a contest for the ugliest plant I could win~~~~

Yardley, PA

I am keeping my fingers crossed for you! You certainly gave it your best shot.

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

What will most likely happen now is that you will get many new little bulbs all around the area that you cut out. That's probably what the little nubs are, with many more to come. Let them get at least the size of a dime or nickel before you remove them from the mother plant. I pot all my little Bowiea bulbs in one large pot and let them grow on from there. I don't pot them up into individual pots until they're at least larger than a quarter and better yet about the size of a 50-cent piece.

Also, watch out that you don't get water accumulating in the cut-out area.

Give Lucky a rub from me, and tell her she's doing great. LOL!!

Phoenix, AZ

LOL, will do :)

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Well I put mine outside it got shade in morning and sun after lunch, didn't do anything so I gave it away.

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

I also have this plant that has pretty leaves but that's all, this is how it looked when I bought it it now has three long vines, still only leaves, do they ever get flowers.

Thumbnail by kareoke
Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Should have given you the name *S* it is Adenia, Fruticosa

Yardley, PA

Nice plant but they don't get flowers as far as I know. I have one that has never flowered. Neat caudex though. Most of mine were bought for the caudex and they don't flower.

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Well guess thats the next one to go.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Quote from kareoke :
Well guess thats the next one to go.

...to go but where? My house? I'd give up an arm and a leg for that plant. Well, not the entire arm or leg, but maybe a portion of them? LOL What's an attractive plant.

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

This is what the plant looks like now

Thumbnail by kareoke
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Very nice, may ask what's it?

Phoenix, AZ

Lily, look a couple posts up, she gave the name :) I love that plant!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Wow! Who would have thought it's in the passion family! Thank Fish-knees. How is the "knees" thing going? lol

Phoenix, AZ

Yup, Passion flower :) I need one of those! "knees" are great :)

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

yes, you and me both need that Passion flower plant. lol Glad to hear the "knees" are great. ^_^

Phoenix, AZ

Just look at him now!

Thumbnail by Fish_knees
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Wow, Barb, he's doing great! Nice red pot too!

Yardley, PA

He looks very happy now that is for sure. Good job hanging in there.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

What's a cool plant! Love it!

Decatur, GA

I find it interesting when someone calls a plant either he or she, him or her. I don't think if plants as having any gender identity. Are some more masculine, others more feminine? Or are they all male to some and all female to others? They are all 'it' to me. ^_^
Helen

Thumbnail by helenchild
Phoenix, AZ

This one was so homely it couldn't possibly be a "she" :)

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

I don't think of them as sexed (though most plants are both male and female of course). I don't think of my cars that way, either. But I do think of my plants as "little guys" (neutral sex)... as in, "Oh! tell me the story of this little guy!"... Come to think of it, when talking plants with friends, sometimes I'll say "he"... "How's he doing back there?"

Quote from helenchild :
I find it interesting when someone calls a plant either he or she, him or her. I don't think if plants as having any gender identity. Are some more masculine, others more feminine? Or are they all male to some and all female to others? They are all 'it' to me. ^_^
Helen

New Castle, IN

Plants are truly amazing aren't they?

Phoenix, AZ

Lol, my "squishy" guy is doing amazing! I need to remember to take a pic and post.

Decatur, GA

Yes please Knees. Post some pictures.

Phoenix, AZ

Here he is! Sure glad I didn't give up on him :)
The second pic shows the bulb, it split into 2. The larger one is the size of a baseball.

Thumbnail by Fish_knees Thumbnail by Fish_knees
Decatur, GA

Very nice. Bowiea volubilis is one of my favorite plants. The 'cloud' of green growth is beautiful.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Wow, Fishie, what a great plant! Amazing his comeback.

Phoenix, AZ

My plant is still going crazy :) It was covered in blooms several months ago and yesterday I noticed something about the size of a pea that was laying in the soil. Is this a seed? What do I do with it? Plant it? Let it dry? Break it open? I'm so excited :O

Decatur, GA

I am not sure what your 'pea' is but this plant does make side bulbets and the big bulbs kind of split when they reach some critical size and become two side by side plants.
I briefly reread this thread about 'squishy' plants that came back on their own. I would have to say that that kind of 'squishy' doesn't mean rot but dehydration. I missed watering several of these once and when I discovered them they were 'soft' and wrinkly. They revived with water. 'Squishy' as in rotten wouldn't revive with more water obviously. The one that fish knees excised the brown soft part was rotten not dehydrated.
This is one of my favorite plants… I have a bunch in various sunny windows now growing like mad. They sun burn easily so I tend to keep them in in the summer. Maybe this summer I will try more carefully to acclimate them to the sun.
Helen

Phoenix, AZ

Helen, here's a pic next to a penny for size. It didn't come from the two bulbs. It was just laying on the soil. It must have fallen off from one of the flowers. Maybe this is another way of it self sowing? I'll try sitting it half way under some soil :)

Thumbnail by Fish_knees
Decatur, GA

Very interesting, I must say. I doubt its a seed but I bet it would grow if you left it on the top of the soil. Keep us posted.

Phoenix, AZ

It's potted up in it's teeny, tiny pot. The wait begins.....

Thumbnail by Fish_knees
Decatur, GA

I can't tell for sure but I hope you put the pointy end up. Heres to hoping.

Phoenix, AZ

I laid it on its side :)

Decatur, GA

That sounds more restful. It should grow.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.