On no! It's squishy :(

Phoenix, AZ

I'm so bummed :(
I got it about 2 weeks ago. Last week I transplanted it into the S/H. I planted it about 1/3 from the bottom. Yesterday I was checking on everything and noticed a bad spot. It had several mushy spots and the bottom has turned a transparent color. I raised it up so just the roots are sitting in the S/H. I don't have much hope though. Any thoughts?

Thumbnail by Fish_knees
Yardley, PA

Sorry to hear that fish knees. I don't know if you can cut out the bad spots? Mine has been in s/h for many years. Many of the plants have roots that go right into the reservoir and are very happy living like that. This would be a good time of the year to move it, too.

Decatur, GA

Fish_knees, I don't see the mushy spots. Are they on the top, where its kind of brown, or the little indents on the bottom half?
I think I would leave it dry for awhile. Unless I am missing something I don't really see any problem.
Keep up posted.
Helen

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

I agree with Helen. I would let it dry for a while. That isn't hard to do here with the air so darn dry! Did I understand that you totally had the bulb buried? I have not grown this plant but shouldn't it just have mostly the roots buried? I would try that like you said ... after it is dry.

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Don't worry, Fish_knees. Bowieas are a very hardy lot. If you have mushy parts just slice them off and let the plant callous off before you replant it. You could also cut off any dead roots at the same time. And as has been mentioned above, don't plant more than 1/3 of the bulb in the medium. It will recover, and might even give you some new little bulblets where you sliced off the bad part.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I wish I would of read this before I threw my squishy bulb of this away yesterday.

Phoenix, AZ

It has probably 3 large squishy parts on the top. I raised it so that it is sitting on top of the medium and the roots are buried, we'll see?

Yardley, PA

I was reading about the Bowiea today as I bought another one-had to! What a deal. But anyway. I read a few posts that said their Bowiea was getting mushy and they gave it more water and it was fine. They were also scared it was rotting but it turned out that water did the trick?

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Very interesting! Could you post the links here?

Phoenix, AZ

I read that too, if it's the same one it was Palmbob. I go out and poke mine 3-4 times a day, lol. It's not getting worse.

Scroll down on this page to Palmbob
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/59921/

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

I don't read the comments section of the PF entries as often as I should. There's a lot of great info on this one, including a further link to palmbob's article on Bowieas. Thanks for telling us about it, Sally, and thanks for finding and sharing it, Fish_knees!

P.S. Have you watered it well as palmbob suggests? Let us know how that works for you.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks for that reference. I have been following these posts as I want to learn more about caring for my Bowiea volubilis as well as being interested in the S/H.

I read thru the PlantFiles comments and had some other questions so started reading. I did also find this link on watering http://columbus-cactus-club.webs.com/Plant%20of%20the%20Month%20Bowiea.htm
with this excerpt:

"Also, I have found that growing specimens of this plant - especially those which are growing their vining inflorescences - require more frequent watering than most other succulents, and should not be subjected to extended drought at this time (unless you want the plant to go dormant and loose its "vines"). I have found it best to feel its bulbs at this time to determine the need for watering - if the bulbs are very turgid, they can probably wait, but I they seem at all soft, give them a good watering. "

That explains why mine goes dormant in winter as I am reluctant to overwater and also validates watering a soft bulb.

That begs my next question, how can a bulb which is grown in S/H be too dry ?

Yardley, PA

I have grown my bowiea for many years in s/h and never had a problem. Just switched my new one into s/h yesterday. In s/h it could only get too dry if you let the reservoir go all the way dry or maybe planted it in too big of a container I would think.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Hmmm time to buy another and not judge it by the squishiness. Learn something new on Dave's everyday!

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

I checked on ebay and they are $15.00 for 1 bulb. Does that seem like a lot?

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

I looked at those. They're 2.5-3" in diameter, not very big. I don't think it's worth it, but then I'm a scrooge. I think they're charging so much because they don't seem to be as available as they once were.

I've been looking online and Arid Lands has some: http://www.aridlands.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=bowiea

This message was edited Apr 28, 2011 5:49 PM

Yardley, PA

I think they are that expensive because they are such slow growers. One of the ones on ebay is my old one that I am selling now! I put in on for $14.99 as that is what everyone else was doing. lol.

Phoenix, AZ

Yup, I paid 14.00 for the one I just got. Not sure if it will make it so I bought another from Aridlands :)

Phoenix, AZ

Got my new bulb from Aridlands. I ordered the one described as 5 inch pot. LOL, it is maybe 1 1/2 inches across. Less than 1/2 the size of the one I got on E-bay that was described as a 3 1/2 inch pot. Oh well.

Good news on the squishy one though. It looks like the entire top layer that was squishy deflated and hardened, ugly but alive!

Port Elizabeth, South Africa(Zone 10a)

You made me go and look for one tooooo! Ornithogalum sardienii = $4.50, Bowiea volubilis = $3.00

I guess these will not be so big but hey it seems a good price.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Fish_knees ~ did Aridlands list the cultivar you bought?

Phoenix, AZ

Yes, Bowiea volubilis

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Fish_knees, if I were you I'd email Bob and Toni and tell them you're really disappointed with the size of the bulb. It definitely should have been a LOT bigger for a 5" pot. I've never known them to try to cheat people before, but if they don't satisfy your request, definitely post your experience on Garden Watchdog.

Phoenix, AZ

Thanks faeden, I think I will. Here is a pic of the two together. I checked my e-bay history. The larger one was described as being in a 4 inch pot. It ended up being $15.00 on e-bay. So when I saw Aridlands listed at $15.00 in a 5 inch pot I expected it to be a tiny bit bigger :( Those are 4 1/2 inch pots that they are in.

This message was edited May 3, 2011 2:40 PM

Thumbnail by Fish_knees
Decatur, GA

I love the variety at Aridlands but have been disappointed a number of time by the size of their plants.

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

I think that's a perfect picture and explanation to Arid Lands why you aren't happy with your purchase. Go for it!

Phoenix, AZ

Sent them a e-mail with that pic. I can't imagine it isn't a mistake? Why would they specify a 5 inch pot and then send a 1 1/2 inch plant? They have many, many positives on watchdog.

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Yes, and I know Bob. He's always done right by me, and I've heard good things about him from many people other than those on DG.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

HAve you heard back from Bob or Toni? I have visited their greenhouses many times and they have always gone out of their way to be helpful.

Phoenix, AZ

Yes I did. I was a little surprised at Toni's response. I explained that it must have been an error. That I had ordered the plant that was described as being in a 5 inch pot and received a plant that was barely 1 1/2 inches. She said they put the plants in pots according to how much room they will need to grow. Huh? This plant is notorious for being extremely slow to grow. I responded that had I known it was a very small plant I never would have purchased it. She said I could mail it back for a refund :(
In a later e-mail she said they could give me a small credit. I truly thought it must have been an error. She said they have no idea how big the plant is in the pot until they dig it up to mail it...another HUH? So I guess I paid for the pot size that it may grow into in the next 10 or so years :(
Live and learn....no more purchases from them.

Phoenix, AZ

Okay, now what? Is that hole in the middle a problem? It seems okay other than that.
I'm excited the other one has 2 starts on it :)

Thumbnail by Fish_knees
Yardley, PA

That doesn't look good to me. I would start cutting that out. Hopefully, it is a surface problem.

Phoenix, AZ

Well Poo, not a surface problem :(
This pic is blurry but you get the idea. And upon closer inspection (put my glasses on).
It appeared to have mealy bugs. I haven't seen them since the 70's when they were on my Coleus in the macrame hanger :O
Any hope, or should I set up a DNR (do not resuscitate)

Thumbnail by Fish_knees
Yardley, PA

Darn mealybugs. I would put cinnamon on it and see what happens. You never know. I used a Bayer product in the water over the winter while the plants were inside and this is the first year I haven't had mealybugs.

Phoenix, AZ

It's hard to tell from the pic but close to half of it is gone. The dark spot went really deep. I'll get out the cinnamon...got nothing to lose at this point :(

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

No posts on here for awhile but does anyone still have one of these bulbs , I have had one for two years and I am dissapointed in it, it is healthy but all it does is grow this vine, I thought it would have some kind of flower.

Thumbnail by kareoke
Decatur, GA

It will make small green flowers that are easy to miss. Yours looks to be in a dark place. Mine doesn't do much in the summer but grows and flowers in a partly sunny window in the winter.
Good luck.
Helen

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

well it is in a south window in my plant room and actualy is very bright, I cut off half the vine as it was so long but it has never had flowers.

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

It probably won't be very interesting in your environment. They need lots of sun year-round (or a gro-light) to make much more than a feeble vine. And, as helen said, the little green flowers are hard to miss, especially if the plant is inside. The only reason I saw mine is because it was outside in almost full sun and the sun reflected off the flowers.

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Thanks, maybe I will just put it outside and leave it, see what happens.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.