Think this Thunbergia will bloom here?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

This area gets no direct sun, just light coming through the pergola. The vine is starting to grow beautifully but I am wondering if they need more light to bloom? Thanks!

Thumbnail by bariolio
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

IT BLOOMED!!! I'm really excited because it's now full of buds and it's such a pretty color. So, I think it's a great vine for shady spots.

Thumbnail by bariolio
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

A little fuzzy taken from inside my bedroom through the window.

Thumbnail by bariolio
Elmira, NY(Zone 6a)

Wow, that's a beauty!

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Love the color, a beauty!

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

That's really a beautiful color! Mine is also planted in shade, under a Sycamore tree. The vine climbs way up into the tree and finally starts blooming about Sept.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks, guys! It seems to be crazy happy, is full of blooms and has outgrown the little trellis! I'm thinking about extending with string (?) up to the top of the pergola. Hubby is hesitant to get anything growing on the pergola but this plant doesn't have anything sticky or aggressive-looking, like some climbers. I just don't want it to start going back downward and break from the weight.

Thumbnail by bariolio
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Here's how it's set up in relation to the pergola. Ideas on extending the trellis are welcome!

Thumbnail by bariolio
St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Make sure you save the seeds at the end of the season, they are expensive to buy. So very pretty!

Mine has been in the ground 2 1/2 years, so is BIG. The vines, by summer's end, are as big around as a man's thumb and HEAVY - you might want to listen to your hubby! LOL

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Whoa! Thanks for telling me, Kay! I'll probably have to think about another setting for it then. Does it have to stay in shade or can it take some sun? Where do you have yours, Kay? I don't have many half-way spots in my backyard. And it gets really hot in the summer. I'm thinking I could put loops of nylon rope through the rafters and train it to go through those? I love experimenting! And, I'll try and save the seeds, Cathy! I got this as a little seedling or rooting with just a few small stalks peeking up from the soil. What a great plant!

Mine grows up through my 40' Sycamores, so it doesn't get much sun - probably the reason it blooms so late. The loops of nylon rope should work just fine - buy a green rope and you won't be able to see it.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Cool! I just looked at another vine I may try to pair with it--Nong Nooch Vine. I'd put that one in a hanging basket and suspend from the pergola. Since I am an LSU alum, I'd love the color combo! hahaha! Thanks for the info. Janet

The Noch vine is a pain to grow - I have it in a hanging basket and it dies out about every 3 months! 2 years ago, it was a beautiful, full vine, covered in beautiful yellow blooms. I wintered it in the greenhouse and it died back.

Last spring it didn't leaf out AT ALL. I put it in a pile to be recycled and lo and behold, early this spring it started coming back from the roots. It has died back twice this season - no idea why. I just put it back in the greenhouse yesterday - we'll see what it does.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Ha, those temperamental plants are a pain! You think they are dead and they come back to life. Or no matter what you seem to do, they look unhealthy. BUT, I like a challenge! So if they are not too expensive, I'll try one. If expensive, thanks for the warning!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.