Any feedback on SunGlo greenhouses?

Clifton, VA(Zone 7a)

Hi folks, I've got the gardening bug bad this year, and I'm about to buy a SunGlo model 1500D lean-to greenhouse, size is 5'2" by 12'6" (the largest I have room for). This will be installed on top of a wooden deck. Do any of you have a SunGlo or know someone who does? Heard anything good or bad about them? Just wanted to check before I pull the trigger.

Thanks!

Clifton, VA(Zone 7a)

Here's a picture of the model 1500B, which is only 7'6" long, but otherwise looks like the 1500D.

Thumbnail by VitaVeggieMan
St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Nice looking, wouldn't mind that off my kitchen.

Clifton, VA(Zone 7a)

So nobody here has a SunGlo greenhouse? There are quite a few web-based sellers of this brand, and they even sell them at Costco (but not this model unfortunately).

Their web site is not the best (http://www.sunglogreenhouses.com/), but I was convinced after watching their promotional video that shows the results of four tests: (1) Light transmission, (2) Impact resistance, (3) Thermal insulation, and (4) Load bearing / snow load. Here's a link to it: http://www.mountshastageneralstore.com/Sunglo/Sunglo_Greenhouse.html

I specifically need a lean-to greenhouse that is not much wider than 5 feet (to fit within the set-back requirements of my property), and this is the best I've found so far.

Any and all thoughts or feedback are welcome. I expect to place my order within two or three weeks.

This message was edited May 3, 2011 3:42 PM

If you are satisfied with your research, that is the important part. I'm not sure anyone is perfectly satisfied with their choice on GH. There are small things I would like to change if I had the skills, and if I could I'd have it closer to my house.

Priest River, ID(Zone 5b)

I almost bought one from costco while it was on sale. The lack of solar powered vents was the deciding factor against purchasing. Other aspects that you mention such as snow/wind load, thermal insulation looked good. Please let us know your experience if you purchase one. Currently I am leaning toward a riga model.

Clifton, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the feedback flying squirrel. True, there are no solar powered vents on the Sunglo's, but they all come with thermostatically-controlled exhaust fans and louver vents for cross-flow ventilation. Wouldn't these move at least as much hot air out of the GH as "passive" solar powered vents? I have no first hand experience, so any advice is appreciated!

the exhaust fans sound great. i have the solar powered vents, they are slow to open and close, and high wind is always a problem with how they are attached - screws ripping out of the wall, etc. A vent will open but if I don't crack open a door, the temp will still build up.

Clifton, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks Cathy4! That makes me rest a little easier.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.