These bloom all over my yard each Spring. ID?

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Please help me ID these little beauties. Thanks in advance.

Thumbnail by coleup
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Its Lesser Celendine, Ficaria verna (previously Ranunculus ficaria). You may want to check out this link: http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/rafi1.htm Its considered one of the top invasive herbaceous plants for moist areas in the Mid-Atlantic. :-(

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

That's a type of buttercup.

It is to be distinguished from the Wood Poppy, also called Celandine Poppy, Stylophorum diphyllum, http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1014/, which I grow it and adore. We purposefully transplanted it from my Mom's house 20 odd years ago, and while it springs up all over the place I never thought of it as invasive.

By the way, GreenThumb, that site is really helpful. Here's the link to the list of plants it addresses: http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact.htm

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I have an appropriate question to ask here.....Your thoughts--please....

I have had White Clover invading many areas of my front lawn.
I don't care that it is green and nice--I consider it a weed and want to get rid of it...
Should I? I want just grass on my small lawn. NOT Clover! It is SO invasive!

I know Ortho makes a Chickweed and Clover herbicide. I also need one that kills
grassy weeds--and I think they make one too. Ever since THEY dug up my median
to bury Verizon cables--it is now all yukky grass-weeds and crab grass.
I put down some pre-emergent for the Crab Grass--but these ungodly grasses are growing all over....
I even seeded those areas last year--and it all came up. But the "bigger ones" seem to have won out.

Thanks--Gita

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the ID and links

Yikes, so many "invasives, so little time!!!!!

My "yard" could be a demonstration garden for invasives after reading those 'least wanted' lists.

So far this spring I have cut back English ivy from all the trees. Did same with honeysuckle vines. Haven't seen any Alianthus seedlings as I have been very diligent with them for years.'I like wine berries and have them confined to two areas. They are easy to pull out when soil is moist and don't inflict wounds like wild black berries.

Virginia creeper seems easy enough to deal with although I am suspecting it and wild grape are "favorites" for hiding stink bugs who have feasted on my nearby tomato plants during the day and rest in the vines at night.

Think I'll work on the wisteria next...

Wild roses are under control for now as is winter creeper, Lets see, have I forgotten anything?

By the way, I have no lawn and am mostly shaded with wildness areas (small) around my 1/3 acre with large oak trees and neighbors who do very little yard maintenance. I gave up on a yard 25 years ago and have enjoyed my days in my little clearing since!

Much easier to go with the flow and shift it a tiny bit than to battle all the time....

Just my two cents, Judy

This message was edited Apr 24, 2011 12:19 PM

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Don't know quite what to do about the Lesser Celedines...little more study needed on those. At least they haven't 'choked out' the day lilies and seem contained by encroaching english ivy! Ouch.

Thumbnail by coleup
annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Here they are with the ivy

Thumbnail by coleup
annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Anyone finding Ohio Buckeye seedlings popping up?

Thumbnail by coleup
annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

This is my rear fence line with neighbor. Think I'll ever get these out? By the way, what are they with their big ole claws?

Thumbnail by coleup
annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Some people would consider this lamium "invasive", too. It works well in the dry shade beneath the big maple tree.

Thumbnail by coleup
annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Here is a tree covered with Winter creeper and as ground cover.I trimit back each year to about 20 feet up the tree. It creates an effective screen from my side neighbors' parkinglot, main entry, and most windows that look out on my yard's favorite spots. The birds enjoy it all year and it slows down the squirrels!

Thumbnail by coleup
annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

This flower comes each spring, too. Any one know what it is?

Thumbnail by coleup
annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

And on I hope a brighter note, here is a piock of some ferns that are spreading nicely in my yard. Hope they aren't invasive!

Thumbnail by coleup
annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Another shot of the ferns showing stiff upright fronds that remain all winter.

Any one know what fern this is? Thanks

Have any of you found creative uses for invasives?

Thumbnail by coleup
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

coleup--Th celandines will go dormant in summer and fall and I haven't felt they need killling where they are in my yard. My neighbor has more in the grass but again, why worry over a week or two of yellow decorations in the grass?

I don't find Buckeye seedlings, there must be one near you.

That Lamium is also called yellow archangel. I have a big patch, it roots very securely on its runners! Goes mostly dormant in winter but tough as nails.
I have wintercreeper too! I try to keep it OFF the tree trunk and base of shrubs but it can stray. One patch is really thick under the magnolia, I hacked it way down two years ago and you'd never know it now.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

The white flower looks like garlic mustard,

The ferns and GORGEOUS bleeding hearts! I think the ferns are Ostrich fern.
Sensitive fern is another common one around us but much different.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Judy--

I thought the white flowered one was a Nettle.....either the stinging one--or the non-stinging one...

A sore memory from childhood......but we used to collect the flowers from the non-stinging
ones for making tea. Somehow the white--seems the 'non" one....
The leaves match a nettle--NO?

Here is the THIRD pinching ends of my Coleus....THIRD! They just root and march on.
These all will, most likely, go to the Plant Swap....

Lets all sing---"Rain, rain go away--Come again another day!"

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal
annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Brave Sally...Yes, ostrich fern. Thanks. This is the first year they are on the tall side already about 3 feet up,

And,I do believe you also got "garlic mustard" alas also on the least wanted list ...http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/alpe1.htm

Gita, I wonder if coleus are ever considered invasive in their native habitats! ? !!
Wish I could be at plant swap this year but will be out of town for birth of second grandchild. Will miss 'gardening' this season

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL, I have a lot of invasive, too. I give mine away at plant swaps.........LOL
Some really are what I consider weeds and I do get rid of those but a lot of my plants are what I call aggressive growers and I make sure they are marked that way. I have a variegated grass that is pretty, but it spreads by runners and can take over an area. Guess it depends on how much space you have to fill and what you want to fill it with. I like it and just dig out what I don't want each spring. Sometimes I just put it out front with a free sign on it. Usually someone takes it. I have a neighbor that is just thrilled with what I gave him a few years ago he was having a terrible time getting something to grow on his bank. I told him it would grow but it could easily take over if left unchecked. We will see if he is as pleased in 5 years. Doesn't this look pretty growing with my Iris. Pic from last year.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.