Blackberries and Raspberries, do you need two of each?

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

I just got a blackberry and a raspberry plant then told I need 2 of each for them to produce fruit. Is this true?

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

I THINK they are monoecious (don't need another plant) but can't swear to it. My thought would be -- hmmm, excellent excuse to double the berries...

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

No matter what the catalog instructs you will get better polination with more than one plant. It takes three or more to get enough fruit to make it worth the effort. For decent picking think six plants in a twenty foot row. Your rows should be six feet apart. Both rows will need support structure of some sort. This would give you quite a few to eat fresh and some to freeze.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Truly, is there such a thing as too many berries???

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

To many.....I don't think so. I always figure two for the birds and one for me. I even put up with a Mulberry tree. Dirty as they are I still love the fruit. My figuring for that tree goes something like ten for the birds and one for me. When those berries pass their prime and start fermenting the cat birds get high and make darn fools of themselves attacking cats and squirrels. We have seen drunk deer at the peak of the fermentation period. :)

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

I think 6 or so blackberries is about right for me and my dog since some of the figs are still there. I don't know how many raspberries my wife would want but I finally planted 2 for her.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.