Daily Butterfly Pictures #86

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

With over a hundred post and a new season upon us....I am starting a new thread. Feel free to post current butterflies / cats that you spot.

Hope someone will confirm this is a Marine Blue Hairstreak. Seen today. I don't remember seeing this one before.
Also spotted a Hackberry Emperor today, but didn't have the camera.

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1165011/ where Russell had just shared a Varigated Frit and a Queen. Great pictures!

This message was edited Apr 17, 2011 5:14 PM

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

That's a picture perfect pose of that little one Sheila.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

It was definately a small one.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Yep, by the look of those bright red blooms of the Crown of Thorns I'd say.

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Sure looks like the Marine Blue in my field guide!

Adorable.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

1st BF photo this year: 4-12-11

Thumbnail by jmorth
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

How darling jmorth! I've to enlarge the pix to see. But I do really like the setting. What kind of flower, and more importantly what type of bfy? lol.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Thought you were just showing off the snowbells jmorth LOL! But then I did spot the white butterfly.

I think I have the same plant, love it but it is here and gone down in our area. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1049/

This message was edited Apr 18, 2011 12:15 PM

That's pretty funny, Jack!

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Good to be back.
Plant is Leucojum aestivum 'Gravetye Giant', BF must be a Cabbage White.
BF blends well.

Kissimmee, FL

Beautiful weekend, was able to cleanup a few beds and move some more soil. Still have loads of cleanup to do. So still accepting volunteers (lol) Throughout all the work this weekend managed to get a few pics.

Thumbnail by Viceroy
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Whoa! Butterfly bush and Gulf Frit. already? Wooohooo, please send some my way. I've some Butterfly bush that are making buds down here. lol

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Beautiful Victor!

Kissimmee, FL

Lily I will make sure to send them your way. That butterfly bush is a new variety to me. It is very compact, I did several of them through the yard. And they did well for me.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thank you very much. I've all kind of nectar plants for them too. lol.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Portland, TX(Zone 9b)

That is a beautiful pic Viceroy. I haven't seen much activity on my BF bush yet, but it is steadily producing blooms. Mine needs a bit of water every couple of days to prevent wilting, but we are in a drought, so I guess that would be normal for them. This is my first experience with them too. Are yours in full or part sun?

Thanks for the pic.

Russell

Kissimmee, FL

Thanks Mr. Russel I hope to have more soon. All my butterfly bushes are in full sun here and do well for me. I tried some of the larger varieties but have been really happy with the more compact bushes.

Red Oak, TX

Nice Marine Blue shot, Sheila. Don't normally see them until a bit later in the year. I'll be sure to add it to the DCLS list of "What's on the Wing" in North Texas once I work out some computer issues I'm having thanks to some &%$(@#% that broke in to my house and stole my computer (among other things) last Saturday while I was off teaching a butterfly gardening class.

On a more pleasant note -- I had a female Black Witch Moth at my bait yesterday. Early for that one, too. Maybe we'll get to see some interesting species this year.

Dale Clark
Dallas County Lepidopterists' Society
www.dallasbutterflies.com

oh Dale, that's terrible! Hope you didn't lose anything that can not be replaced. I once had thieves take a bunch of stuff including a framed dollar and check stub of my first ever career job. kids!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Makes you wonder if it wasn't someone that knew you would be gone. Hope you find out who it was and get your info back. Daytime burgularys are getting more common place.

Kissimmee, FL

found an RA floating around this evening when i got in.

Thumbnail by Viceroy
Kissimmee, FL

here is one more.

Thumbnail by Viceroy
Portland, TX(Zone 9b)

Nice Viceroy...we must be on the same schedule - I saw one of those today too while browsing at my favorite local nursery during my "lunch" break. It is much more fun to walk around and look at plants than it is to eat lunch some days.... Keep em coming!

Russell

Kissimmee, FL

I envy you, being close enough to a nursery to visit during lunch. More pics to come.

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

I have seen pipevine swallowtail for a couple of weeks now. And I feel really stupid, having MAJOR brain fart ............... the yellow and black swallowtail. Have several of them.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Don't understand why you said you feel stupid Crit? Did you mean to say "they are"? If so, it has taken me a while to distinguish them, and sometimes still doubt myself.

I think Crit just can't remember the name.

Tiger Swallowtail, or Giant swallowtail.

I have brain fog like that all the time.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh understand now, makes sense. I have those name losses often over the winter months!

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

oh yeah...every year I have to start all over with the dark ones! lol

LOL girls. Yes, it was me ........... couldn't remember the name of the B'fly. Didn't get close enough to see the marking to distinquish, but has seen several of them. I love those!!!

Kissimmee, FL

Good weekend, I was able to finish a new island I had been replanting. Finishing a project feels very satisfying! Knowing i have 10 more to go @%&!&*(@&!!8 thats another thread. Managed a few shots through it all.

Thumbnail by Viceroy
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

That's a gorgeous shot of the bfy on the flowers Viceroy.

Kissimmee, FL

here is my Monarch.

Thumbnail by Viceroy
Kissimmee, FL

Thanks Lily, it took me a little while but we got him. Here is a frit.

Thumbnail by Viceroy

I saw either a Monarch or a Viceroy here yesterday. It wouldn't stop so I could look at it. ^_^

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Crit, I too saw another Monarch or could that be a Viceroy too....yesterday. :) Viceroy, I'm green with envy that you get all the butfy. lol.

Portland, TX(Zone 9b)

That swallowtail is breathtaking. Great work.

Russell

Saw as small blue and a sulphur today.

Saw that I definately have TWO hummingbirds. Hope I have little hummingbirds! ^_^

Cleburne, TX(Zone 8a)

This Red Admiral kept coming back to this stone today.

Thumbnail by LEW_TEX

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.