Pinching Belle of Woking

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

But you'll still cut Ville de Lyon back after bloom, right? Even if not this year (if the plant is new and doesn't bloom) then next year, after bloom, all the stems would be cut back by one third to one half.

I don't pinch established plants at all and Liberation, for one, is so lush that it hides the pretty Armillary tuteur where it grows.

Thumbnail by pirl
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I am so impressed with all your efforts. I've never bought anything larger than plugs (except for a gift), but I think my choices will be changing. I love your encouragement with this plant, Pirl.

Marcia

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

So I guess I should stop pinching huh?...lol How about when they are looking long and straggly at the top?

Thanks so much, Marcia. What good would I be to other clematis lovers if I squashed their enthusiasm? LOL

Marie - you're 100% welcome to be another tester of the pruning theory of Jeanne's. You will get more stems but I've yet to see more flowers.

As for the lanky ones...take a deep breath and cut them by half.

Another test: I decided not to do a thing about pruning Candida Lanuginosa and it's now over 20' tall and reaching the top of the 15 year old magnolia. What a laugh. It won't ever be as lush as Liberation, which is in full sun, but I was just curious so I let it go as it would in nature. After bloom I'll cut it back to 2 to 3'.

Thumbnail by pirl
(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

Oh good! One less chore! I must say, I do what I can and don't worry too much about the impossible. This place is waaaayyyyy to big for me to ever think I could even look at everything. My focus has to be on a goal of relatively low maintenance in design and plant choices. But I do try to give all my new kids a good start, and I do try to take care of the necessities to keep them going: mulch, water, weeding, feeding, the occasional extra support, etc. So far, so good, it's really filling in this year. Last year at this time there was an awful lot of brown.

Thumbnail by Pfg
Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Holy Cow, that one sure like to climb.

Cross post-- Wow! That's impressive!

Grosse Pointe Shores, MI(Zone 6a)

Quote from pirl :
But you'll still cut Ville de Lyon back after bloom, right? Even if not this year (if the plant is new and doesn't bloom) then next year, after bloom, all the stems would be cut back by one third to one half.

What I meant, and inelegantly expressed, was that it arrived last week with one stem. If I pinch it back three times, theoretically I will end up with 8 stems (1x2x4=8). If I bury it deep enough when I plant, all 8 stems will be the basis for next years' growth. Even if I cut it all down to 18" in the spring, I should have 8 stems to start with.

Or am I missing something?

BTW...everytime I open this thread, I feel sorry for poor Belle...all that pinching must hurt! ;)

It does like to climb, Marie, but I'll never get to see the first blooms unless I'm on a ladder.

Yes, impressive but only as to height, Pam. I'm happier with a 3' busy clem.

Katherine - you're right. Now I understand what you mean. It's worth a try. When you cut it back give it more manure and compost and another drink of Epsom salt. Keep taking photos so we can all watch your success.

Belle has been around and is used to being pinched now and then!

Belle is quite the girl, isn't she? She may be getting pinched a lot, but she's sure getting a lot of attention!

Interesting point about pinching new plants to get more stems underground. Hmmmmm.....

Grosse Pointe Shores, MI(Zone 6a)

Pfg, I'm only able to do all this pinching because these plants are all in pots right now. Once they go in the ground, I don't think I will be able to pinch them as I won't be able to reach them!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.